Untouched

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Conrejour
Favorite Magician: Chan Canasta

Untouched

Postby Conrejour » January 7th, 2019, 11:24 am

The card trick Daryl popularized was a pretty old card trick given Daryl’s unique touch which gave it a totally different new look , I wondered who invented the original effect as in the methodology used to find the chosen card?
There is nothing new in magic only new magicians

http://dermotbrennanartist.ie/index.html

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Untouched

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 7th, 2019, 12:16 pm

Why don't you describe the effect.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Conrejour

Postby Conrejour » January 7th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Why don't you describe the effect.

Apologies , I presumed it was unverisally known .

Magician says he had a dream about a playing card , a volunteer fans the cards you point to the one you dreamt of the volunteer removes card and places it face down on table .......magician tells him/her to deal the deck into two piles and turn over the top card of each , one reveals the suit of the card the other the value and all without the wonder worker once touching the cards

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » January 7th, 2019, 4:06 pm

The basic method is to have the spectator deal cards one at a time into a pile, stopping anywhere. This pile is picked up and dealt into two piles. At the end, the cards on top of the two piles are the original two cards of the deck. This is a very deceptive procedure that can be used to force any number of cards, so very flexible.

Daryl's handling lets you use this force to produce two cards that match a prediction, using the suit of one of the two cards and the value of the other, without the magician ever touching any of the cards.

Sorry, I don't know who invented the procedure.

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » January 7th, 2019, 4:18 pm

The original effect is Al Leech’s The Spectator Does a Trick from his 1959 booklet Cardmanship. Stephen Minch provided this reference when I wrote up a memdeck version called The Guatemalan Miracle.

Conrejour

Postby Conrejour » January 7th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Pete McCabe wrote:The basic method is to have the spectator deal cards one at a time into a pile, stopping anywhere. This pile is picked up and dealt into two piles. At the end, the cards on top of the two piles are the original two cards of the deck. This is a very deceptive procedure that can be used to force any number of cards, so very flexible.

Daryl's handling lets you use this force to produce two cards that match a prediction, using the suit of one of the two cards and the value of the other, without the magician ever touching any of the cards.

Sorry, I don't know who invented the procedure.

Thanks Pete

Conrejour

Postby Conrejour » January 7th, 2019, 4:33 pm

Michael Close wrote:The original effect is Al Leech’s The Spectator Does a Trick from his 1959 booklet Cardmanship. Stephen Minch provided this reference when I wrote up a memdeck version called The Guatemalan Miracle.

That’s great , thanks a lot I always wondered about the origins of the trick

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » January 10th, 2019, 7:41 pm

I can't see any difference between Leech's trick and Daryl's.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 10th, 2019, 9:42 pm

"At the end, the cards on top of the two piles are the original two cards of the deck. The basic method is to have the spectator deal cards one at a time into a pile, stopping anywhere. This pile is picked up and dealt into two piles. At the end, the cards on top of the two piles are the original two cards of the deck."

I am assuming that the word "top" was inadvertently left out between the word "original" and the word "two" in the above description.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 10th, 2019, 10:05 pm

Ryan Matney wrote:I can't see any difference between Leech's trick and Daryl's.

Daryl’s specific contribution was the presentation that justified each and every action of the routine. I’ve seen a lot of people do the trick and they miss parts of it.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » January 11th, 2019, 1:01 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:
Ryan Matney wrote:I can't see any difference between Leech's trick and Daryl's.

Daryl’s specific contribution was the presentation that justified each and every action of the routine. I’ve seen a lot of people do the trick and they miss parts of it.

This is one of my favorite tricks, would be interested in discussing it with you sometime.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 11th, 2019, 2:34 pm

The most common way I've seen people blow this type of effect is by showing their thinking.

That is: the one hitch in Daryl's routine is the occasional need to do a card displacement, which isn't always dealt with well by inexperienced performers. (In a lecture one time, Daryl said that if it happens just have them shuffle again and do the trick. "What if it happens again?" "Do another trick!" was Daryl's snappy rejoinder. I laughed at that at the time, but it's happened to me before...so.... I just did another trick.)

I think any hesitation (or visible shifting of cards) when taking out a "random" card has the potential to ruin things unless the performer deals with it presentationally to make it invisible to later recall.

Mr. Charming

Postby Mr. Charming » January 11th, 2019, 2:36 pm

The trick was also published in the first issue of "pabular" with the name "Spectator Magician" by Tony Faro

Mr. Charming

Postby Mr. Charming » January 11th, 2019, 3:06 pm

erdnasephile wrote:The most common way I've seen people blow this type of effect is by showing their thinking.

That is: the one hitch in Daryl's routine is the occasional need to do a card displacement, which isn't always dealt with well by inexperienced performers. (In a lecture one time, Daryl said that if it happens just have them shuffle again and do the trick. "What if it happens again?" "Do another trick!" was Daryl's snappy rejoinder. I laughed at that at the time, but it's happened to me before...so.... I just did another trick.)

I think any hesitation (or visible shifting of cards) when taking out a "random" card has the potential to ruin things unless the performer deals with it presentationally to make it invisible to later recall.

What displacement are you talking about? Unless cards are missing from the deck and you JUST got the wrong combination, you don't need any displacement...

Mr. Charming

Postby Mr. Charming » January 11th, 2019, 3:18 pm

Ryan Shlutz has a method to perform this effect where at the end the spectator can chose what card points the "value" and what card points the "suit"

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » January 11th, 2019, 4:03 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:Daryl’s specific contribution was the presentation that justified each and every action of the routine. I’ve seen a lot of people do the trick and they miss parts of it.
I looked for a video of Daryl performing this trick but the closest I could find was Michael Ammar performing Daryl's Untouched.
Is this exactly as Daryl performed it or are there missing parts?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 11th, 2019, 4:15 pm

Mr. Charming wrote:
erdnasephile wrote:The most common way I've seen people blow this type of effect is by showing their thinking.

What displacement are you talking about? Unless cards are missing from the deck and you JUST got the wrong combination, you don't need any displacement...

I may be thinking of the wrong Daryl routine (apologies if this is so), but if, say, the 8D and the 8C are on the top of the deck, you need to displace one of those for the trick to work. (Unless you fortuitously have a Diamond or Club as the third card. The 8D or 8C becomes the prediction at that point, leaving the two required cards on the top of the deck. Still looks fishy to me, since the prediction is so near the top of the deck.)

Conrejour

Postby Conrejour » January 11th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Brad Jeffers wrote:
Brad Henderson wrote:Daryl’s specific contribution was the presentation that justified each and every action of the routine. I’ve seen a lot of people do the trick and they miss parts of it.
I looked for a video of Daryl performing this trick but the closest I could find was Michael Ammar performing Daryl's Untouched.

Daryl’s presentation was different and in my opinion better than Ammars , Daryl made this simple trick memorable .

It’s retitled “ Dream card “ in Magic for Dummies and I never seen a video of Daryl doing it .
I remember Daryl lecturing in Dublin a long time ago and doing this trick and a lovely presentation it was too , Eugene Burger had his own slant on the effect with a three card prediction .

I’ve seen this card trick dismissed and slated by magicians, I’m doing it years and it kills , indeed this trick and Gemini twins seem to be a favourite with a lot of magicians on account of humans reactions to the impossibility of what they’ve just witnessed

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 11th, 2019, 5:14 pm

Brad Jeffers wrote:

lots missing. I actually spending a bit of time helping Ammar with some of these videos and one of the ruses he adds to this was suggested by me. (I will share it also in my upcoming penguin lecture - it’s a Max Maven idea).

This is not an accurate representation of Daryl’s presentation. the mechanics are all the same, but the justifications for each action have been largely ommitted and that is really what made this trick so strong deceptively.

I saw a really great idea that would be perfect for this trick in a Mike Helmer’s Elixer periodical.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » January 11th, 2019, 10:12 pm

Mr. Charming wrote:Ryan Shlutz has a method to perform this effect where at the end the spectator can chose what card points the "value" and what card points the "suit"

I have a couple variations that also have this feature.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » January 11th, 2019, 10:24 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:
Brad Jeffers wrote:

lots missing. I actually spending a bit of time helping Ammar with some of these videos and one of the ruses he adds to this was suggested by me. (I will share it also in my upcoming penguin lecture - it’s a Max Maven idea).

This is not an accurate representation of Daryl’s presentation. the mechanics are all the same, but the justifications for each action have been largely ommitted and that is really what made this trick so strong deceptively.

I saw a really great idea that would be perfect for this trick in a Mike Helmer’s Elixer periodical.

Is it the part after they begin dealing? I believe Max credits that to Ray Goulet. I've been calling the "Goulet Subtlety."

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 12th, 2019, 12:05 am

yes. i learned of from Bascom Jone’s Magick in a trick attributed to Max’s former nom de plume. It is not credited to anyone else in the trick from which i learned it. That could have been an editorial omission.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » January 12th, 2019, 12:58 am

I'd guess so. I learned it from PRISM but I can't recall the trick without looking.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » January 12th, 2019, 2:32 am

MagicbyAlfred wrote:I am assuming that the word "top" was inadvertently left out between the word "original" and the word "two" in the above description.

Quite right, thanks.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 12th, 2019, 5:16 am

I've not seen Daryl's presentation, or read it in print. However, I just watched Michael Ammar's presentation on YouTube. It struck me as odd that right before the spectator is asked to begin the initial dealing procedure, Michael holds up his hands (as if someone in a saloon in America's old west said, "Stick em up") and simultaneously announces: "I won't touch any of the cards." But he then proceeds to do just that - he subsequently touches the card he wants the spectator to remove. Is the card touched by the magician in Daryl's routine?

A couple other observations. Ammar shuffles and "cuts" the cards himself, but does not have the spectator shuffle. To me, this weakens the potential impact of the effect considerably.

I have lots of respect for Michael, but I'm sorry, he comes across like a used car salesman in this presentation. Telling the spectators he is going to offer "proof" and also that he will provide "evidence," transforms the paradigm of the effect from a charming magical experience, in which the spectator has a leading role in the creation of the magic, to relegating the spectator to a pawn to facilitate how clever the magician is. This also has the result of setting it up almost as a challenge, or battle of wits between magician and spectators. This, in turn, is likely to put the audience on the defensive and to view the whole thing through the prism of a puzzle.

I remember reading an admonition long ago - I believe it was in the Royal Road or Expert Card Technique - to avoid trying to "sell" the audience, because ultimately they will take revenge. That stuck with me.

Conrejour

Postby Conrejour » January 12th, 2019, 8:23 am

MagicbyAlfred wrote:I've not seen Daryl's presentation, or read it in print. However, I just watched Michael Ammar's presentation on YouTube. It struck me as odd that right before the spectator is asked to begin the initial dealing procedure, Michael holds up his hands (as if someone in a saloon in America's old west said, "Stick em up") and simultaneously announces: "I won't touch any of the cards." But he then proceeds to do just that - he subsequently touches the card he wants the spectator to remove. Is the card touched by the magician in Daryl's routine?

A couple other observations. Ammar shuffles and "cuts" the cards himself, but does not have the spectator shuffle. To me, this weakens the potential impact of the effect considerably.

I have lots of respect for Michael, but I'm sorry, he comes across like a used car salesman in this presentation. Telling the spectators he is going to offer "proof" and also that he will provide "evidence," transforms the paradigm of the effect from a charming magical experience, in which the spectator has a leading role in the creation of the magic, to relegating the spectator to a pawn to facilitate how clever the magician is. This also has the result of setting it up almost as a challenge, or battle of wits between magician and spectators. This, in turn, is likely to put the audience on the defensive and to view the whole thing through the prism of a puzzle.

I remember reading an admonition long ago - I believe it was in the Royal Road or Expert Card Technique - to avoid trying to "sell" the audience, because ultimately they will take revenge. That stuck with me.

I agree regarding his presentation and the trick as he presented seemed to die a death and had little impact, Ammar is a fine magician but his presentation is miles away from the splendid was Daryl went about the effect which made it memorable

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » January 12th, 2019, 8:51 am

Eugene Burger's (three card) presentation was based on Fogel's version.

Paul Green had a nice (two card) presentation in Lee Earle's SYZYGY.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 12th, 2019, 9:13 am

Re: touching the cards.

The goal is to not ever touch the cards. Hence the name. However in practice most real people have difficulty spreading the cards and interpreting which card the magician is pointing to. So touching the cards - especially to make clear which card you want them to remove - is hard to resist. But you are correct in that it does undermine the verbal claims made.

Daryl sold this trick in a single trick manuscript if i recall, compleat with the full presentation. the premise is that no matter what you do someone will have an answer, specifically, ‘you did something.’.

so the entire routine is structured to create an impossible moment of magic where the magician never ‘does anything’.

Conrejour

Postby Conrejour » January 12th, 2019, 9:28 am

Brad Henderson wrote:Re: touching the cards.

The goal is to not ever touch the cards. Hence the name. However in practice most real people have difficulty spreading the cards and interpreting which card the magician is pointing to. So touching the cards - especially to make clear which card you want them to remove - is hard to resist. But you are correct in that it does undermine the verbal claims made.

Daryl sold this trick in a single trick manuscript if i recall, compleat with the full presentation. the premise is that no matter what you do someone will have an answer, specifically, ‘you did something.’.

so the entire routine is structured to create an impossible moment of magic where the magician never ‘does anything’.

Daryl included the effect in his lecture notes when touring Europe and the hook he used was that the name of a particular card appeared to him in a dream he then claimed he would perform magic and create the illusion it was being accomplished by someone else , he also included many beautiful subtleties in presentation in the lecture notes .

Conrejour

Postby Conrejour » January 12th, 2019, 9:30 am

Q. Kumber wrote:Eugene Burger's (three card) presentation was based on Fogel's version.

Daryl also gave credit to Tony Faro from a trick called “Spectator Magician “ in the very first issue of Papular September 1974 , the basic method as we know is much older

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 12th, 2019, 9:42 am

Conrejour wrote:
Brad Henderson wrote:Re: touching the cards.

Daryl included the effect in his lecture notes when touring Europe and the hook he used was that the name of a particular card appeared to him in a dream he then claimed he would perform magic and create the illusion it was being accomplished by someone else , he also included many beautiful subtleties in presentation in the lecture notes .

sort of. The identity of the card did allegedly come from a dream and he used that to suggest that the card was the target prior to any actions occurring during performance - however the larger frame was in effort to dispel the explanation that the magician ‘did something.’ hence the name ‘untouched’ and not ‘dream card.’

everything in the presentation is designed to reinforce that conclusion - that the magician does nothing. The dream card aspect is a small part of that larger conceit.

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » January 12th, 2019, 10:12 am

The lecture notes appear to be still available here - https://www.daryl.net/product_detail.php?cat_id=10&id=504.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » January 12th, 2019, 10:41 am

Q. Kumber wrote:Eugene Burger's (three card) presentation was based on Fogel's version.

I don't know Paul Green's trick but the one from Eugene is not the same as the Leech trick. I think they use the same force.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » January 12th, 2019, 11:01 am

Eugene's handling (of Maurice Fogel's version) of this method has a neat idea. Instead of having the spectator deal until they feel like stopping (or similar), you have them just think of a number from 1 to 52 and deal that many cards. At the end, you casually mention "You thought of a number, in this case 24, and that generated these three cards." This can hit as an effect, that you divined what number the spectator thought of, when in fact you just counted as they were dealing. Seems obvious but if you don't sell it as an effect, then if the spectator realizes you were just counting, that doesn't give away anything.

The really sneaky part of this idea is that this moment hits right as you are telling The Big Lie, which is that the number generated these three cards.

I used to do it that way, and the naming the number bit really got my wife. But a couple of people commented that it seemed mathematical, which I think is the sad fate of any trick that openly involves numbers. Now I use a bit where I am playing white noise from my phone as the spectator is dealing, with the idea being that this will make their brain more receptive to whatever [censored] I happen to be spinning that day. This is a fairly recent idea but seems pretty compelling, if anyone wants to try it.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 12th, 2019, 11:12 am

Dan Harlan showed me the bit where you reveal the number at an early mystery school. It was a great little moment.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 12th, 2019, 12:24 pm

I dug out my notes: I saw him do this in a lecture in June, 1988 in St. Louis.

From the Den Haag lecture notes: "There was a time when this was the effect I would teach laymen who expressed a real interest in learning how to do a trick. I don't do this any more, because I have since come to the realization IT'S TOO GOOD!" (emphasis per the original)

He also stated (as Mr. Henderson and others have noted) his main contribution was the hook and presentation of the trick. "The idea for the "hook" and the presentation came to me when an audience member actually did ask me if I could do some magic without touching anything."

During his live lecture, he taught a version that could be done over the telephone.

Finally, he cautioned to watch out for left-handers, since they tend to spread backwards.

PS: Can someone provide the reference for the Maurice Fogel/Eugene Burger three card version please?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 12th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Eugene left quite a bit of material unpublished. Larry Haas will be publishing all that he has in two volumes.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » January 12th, 2019, 4:03 pm

erdnasephile wrote:PS: Can someone provide the reference for the Maurice Fogel/Eugene Burger three card version please?

Fogel's Triple Prediction, and Psychic Sense are both in Mastering the Art of Magic.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 12th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Thanks for the reference, Evan.

Also, Q, thanks for the Paul Green tip--just looked up the routine--I actually like it a little better than Daryl's. It needs another prop at the end, but Ted Lesley (and others) have created a more innocent looking one that I think would be even better than Paul's original choice.

Topovich

Postby Topovich » March 19th, 2020, 9:29 pm

Mr. Charming wrote:Ryan Shlutz has a method to perform this effect where at the end the spectator can chose what card points the "value" and what card points the "suit"

In what book or video does Ryan Schlutz teach this?

Return to “Reference Room”