Flipper Coin

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Bill Mullins

Flipper Coin

Postby Bill Mullins » September 13th, 2017, 2:45 am

I have an old Johnson Products Kennedy half-dollar flipper coin. The band has dried and broken, and the insert has fallen out of the shell and won't stay.

I can change the band, but what is the best adhesive to stick the folding insert back into the shell?

luigimar

Re: Flipper Coin

Postby luigimar » October 4th, 2017, 1:01 am

I also have one and I was told to use Krazy Glue to stick the piece to the shell. The bad thing about this is that whenever I need to change the band I have to "unglue" the piece by using force and the piece may get damaged. Also the residue on the inside of the shell may become a problem with time since it will become a kind of "plaster" that will make the piece to protrude from the shell (it is happening to me). I may try to use acetone to remove this "plaster" but I haven't tried it yet.

I was thinking about using magician's wax instead of krazy glue (or maybe a small piece of blu tack?). It may be easier to remove the piece from the shell but I don't know how much it will stay stuck without coming off (hopefully not in the middle of a performance).

So, there. I hope this information helps...
luigimar

Fredrick
Favorite Magician: Eugene Burger

Postby Fredrick » October 4th, 2017, 3:12 pm

I have been told - but not tried - to use a thin double faced tape. Carpet tape or toupee tape should work.
"Try to find the humanity in the magic..." ~ Michael Moschen
The Jinx Companion

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » October 4th, 2017, 11:28 pm

I have heard that a thin coat of rubber cement will work. Never tried it myself.
Not the one who created the Potter Index.

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » October 5th, 2017, 6:59 am

IIRC magician's wax was the recommended adhesive when Flipper Coins were popular in the late 80s/early 90s. Johnson Product's website lists a contact phone number, so perhaps that might be the source for the best advice? 626/445/1411.

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » October 5th, 2017, 10:12 am

Anthony Vinson wrote:IIRC magician's wax was the recommended adhesive when Flipper Coins were popular in the late 80s/early 90s. Johnson Product's website lists a contact phone number, so perhaps that might be the source for the best advice? 626/445/1411.

Good advice. You can also use the contact us email link on the website. I had a technical question once and they promptly answered my question. Email might be more efficient.
Not the one who created the Potter Index.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 5th, 2017, 10:47 am

I've had really good success with Johnson Products customer service communicating via phone and email, including constructing a couple custom silver gaffs for me. Good prices and workmanship with a quick turnaround time. I suspect they might fix the flipper for a nominal fee.

Return to “Reference Room”