Jeremy Weiss' ACAAN

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Inquisitive
Favorite Magician: David Berglas

Jeremy Weiss' ACAAN

Postby Inquisitive » September 5th, 2015, 10:56 pm

Hello guys,

I don't know if this is the right section to post this, but I couldn't find a better section to post this, so I decided to make my thread here.

I wanted to ask if anyone here knows about Jeremy Weiss' ACAAN. Apparently, 6 years ago at MindVention 2009 Jeremy performed his version of ACAAN several times, and from what I heard on the Cafe it is the best version yet. Jeremy later sold his version for $2400 to 15 people over the world. So, only 16 people (including Jeremy) know this version of ACAAN in the whole world.

This is how the effect plays out: A borrowed deck is used, and is shuffled by the spectator. While the cards are still in the spectators hands, the spectator names any card and any number. Then the spectator himself/herself deals down to their number to find their card.

This is how one would imagine the 'Holy Grail', so it seems impossible. However, apparently Jeremy Weiss figured it out. I did not believe this until I found out that 2 of the 15 people who Jeremy sold this to are Bob Cassidy and Ben Harris. Both of them have confirmed on the Cafe that this effect is true, and can be done. In fact, Bob and Ben both also said that they perform this effect regularly for laymen. So, I'm assuming this really is the real deal. Also, several others on the Cafe who were present at MindVention 2009 confirmed witnessing the effect, which gives further proof of its existence.

I've never heard any talk about this effect other than on the Cafe (and even on the Cafe there are only about 3 threads on it), so it is very unknown. I find that quite strange, since this is apparently the best version of ACAAN out there. So, others must know about this (since it's the 'perfect' version).

What do you guys think about this?

Thanks.

performer

Re: Jeremy Weiss' ACAAN

Postby performer » September 5th, 2015, 11:23 pm

$2400 for a CARD TRICK? That is an extraordinary claim. Widdle will no doubt be requiring extraordinary evidence.

I have never been that excited about this trick anyway despite the fuss about it. I do remember David Berglas himself showing it to me once and I just shrugged my shoulders. He seemed a little disconcerted at my lack of reaction but of course I am a terrible audience. It just seems to me that it is a good card trick and nothing more. But of course there are a lot of good card tricks.

I have seen various versions of it performed by various worthies and have never once got particularly excited about it.

I wouldn't purchase it for $10 let alone $2400. I can't see Bob Cassidy paying $2400 for this. I will have to ask him.

Oh, I just got a psychic vibe. The gentleman who made the post above is a first time poster. I bet he is trying to sell the trick. I hope he doesn't want $2400 for it.
Last edited by performer on September 6th, 2015, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » September 5th, 2015, 11:40 pm

Never heard of Jeremy Weiss, but I know an Ehrich Weiss that could do the Holy Grail of handcuff escapes. This is how the effect played out: Ehrich would go onstage and challenge any member of the audience to produce a pair of handcuffs from which he could not release himself. He never failed. It was the best version of the handcuff escape out there. He became famous, so others knew about it (since it was the perfect version).

What do you think about this, Inquisitive?

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » September 6th, 2015, 1:58 am

[quote][/quote]This is how the effect plays out: A borrowed deck is used, and is shuffled by the spectator. While the cards are still in the spectators hands, the spectator names any card and any number. Then the spectator himself/herself deals down to their number to find their card. "

So, what does the magicían do?

performer

Postby performer » September 6th, 2015, 4:41 am

I once actually invented three methods of doing this trick in the space of about ten minutes. They are just as effective to a lay audience as the original version. However, I won't charge $2400 for the secret. I will give it away for free despite what I said on another thread about exposing secrets that come up on search engines. After all, since they are my own inventions I can do what the hell I like with them.

Now granted they do not have the strict conditions of a card being named at random in two of the versions and except in one instance the magician does have to deal the cards himself. However, this is well compensated for by not having to rely on a million outs or so and the routines being a hell of a lot faster to perform without all the usual palaver which with most magicians takes so bloody long that by the time the trick comes to an end you have forgotten what the beginning was.

The first two versions have a similar effect and appearance. Here you fan a pack of cards and show the faces to a spectator and ask them to think of a card that they see. They then name ANY number. In one of my versions you deal the cards and the named card is at the position and in the other version the spectator can deal the cards.

I shall let you figure out the secret for yourselves before giving it away for free. You will be gravely disappointed at the secret and discount it straight away. However, I guarantee that to laymen it will be just as good and less convoluted than the usual version.

For the third version you don't fan the pack in front of someone. You merely ask them to name any card at random. Alas you will have to be the one who deals to whatever card they say but it does have the advantage that it will take a lot less time. When card tricks go on for 5 minutes or more I lose interest very rapidly.

There. If I see some attempts at figuring out these methods I will give them away for free. However, if I see no response I will assume a lack of interest and I won't bother.

I will then charge $2400 for the secret and no doubt that will get as much attention as the Jeremy Weiss method.

JHostler

Postby JHostler » September 6th, 2015, 9:00 am

Inquisitive wrote:What do you guys think about this?

It astounds me that some magicians still believe a "perfect solution" to the Berglas Effect lurks in the shadows. The miracle you describe, sans caveats or omissions, is simply not possible. A spectator cannot be in control of the deck throughout the performance, name any card and number, and deal to it - but roughly once in every 52 performances. Sorry!

(But let's say I'm wrong... that there is a Santa Clause: If the effect were so perfect, you would undoubtedly find an UNEDITED video of at least one performance online - as there would be no risk of unintentional exposure or backtracking the method. No such luck.)

Of course, "Inquisitive," none of this is news to you...
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » September 6th, 2015, 10:26 am

Inquisitive wrote:Hello guys,

This is how the effect plays out: A borrowed deck is used, and is shuffled by the spectator. While the cards are still in the spectators hands, the spectator names any card and any number. Then the spectator himself/herself deals down to their number to find their card.

I don't believe it. Although I am assuming that "the spectator" is exactly that. And he/she is not part of the $2400 package.

Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

Postby Zig Zagger » September 6th, 2015, 10:59 am

If the spectator first has to peek at any card in the deck, I'd say that's a lot of money for a borrowed forcing deck...
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

performer

Postby performer » September 6th, 2015, 11:34 am

Zig Zagger wrote:If the spectator first has to peek at any card in the deck, I'd say that's a lot of money for a borrowed forcing deck...

Oddly enough that is one of my solutions but not quite. No peeking in my method.

And my other two methods use regular cards and in one of those methods ANY card can be named out loud at random.

I must say that I am complete awe at my own brilliant inventiveness in this matter.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 6th, 2015, 2:36 pm

I have a method where the spectator brings his or her own unopened, ungaffed Bicycle, Bee or Tally Ho deck, unseals it, shuffles it thoroughly, and then allows the magician to shuffle thoroughly and cut (real shuffles and cut). Whereupon the spectator names any card and then any number, and deals down to that number, only to find the precise card named. The deck, while being held openly and firmly in the spectator's hands, then vanishes without a trace, followed by disappearance of the spectator him or herself into thin air. (OK, I did exaggerate a wee bit...)

Inquisitive

Postby Inquisitive » September 6th, 2015, 3:31 pm

Guys, I'm not joking about this. It is legit. Have a look at the thread on the Cafe: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... rum=15&261

Both Bob Cassidy and Ben Harris (two very respectable and trustworthy people) said in the thread that they purchased the effect, and it is real. Both also said that they perform it regularly for laymen. I guess the only way to find out for sure would be if you meet Bob or Ben, then ask them to perform Jeremy's ACAAN for you.

As impossible as it sounds, Jeremy's effect is literally what I said- borrowed shuffled deck of cards is used, and any card and number is named, and the spectator themselves deal down to their number to find their card.

I didn't believe it either like you guys, but since Bob and Ben confirmed it, I now think this may be real.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 6th, 2015, 4:00 pm

Even assuming that the effect is exactly as described, no strings attached, would it be any stronger or evoke any better reaction for a lay audience (at $2400) than an ID routine smoothly and entertainingly performed (at $7.50)?

performer

Postby performer » September 6th, 2015, 4:39 pm

I am psychic and the second I looked at that magic cafe thread I realised it was all a great big hoax and Bob Cassidy was in on it.

How do I know? Because Paul Pacific and I hatched a similar plot regarding Paul's alleged incredible
marketing method for starving magicians. We called it the Onion Method and the fuss went on for weeks. The language on this ACAAN thread is very similar. Look up "The Onion Method" on the cafe and you will see what I mean.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » September 6th, 2015, 8:38 pm

Evidently cards are not his only specialty. Mr. Weiss also has a breakthrough levitation for $5,000: The Daniel Douglas Home Effect:

https://sites.google.com/site/shockdocmagic/home/float

The correct spelling is Dunglas--not Douglas.

He's out of control.

performer

Postby performer » September 7th, 2015, 8:49 am

Here is another one of his wonderful offerings. The "sold out" sign seems to be consistent with the levitation trick. Only $3400 this time:

https://sites.google.com/site/shockdocm ... on-extreme

Leo Garet

Postby Leo Garet » September 7th, 2015, 11:36 am

Can it be repeated?
Just wondering.

AJM

Postby AJM » September 7th, 2015, 11:45 am

It's the holy grail of ACAAN.
Uses a borrowed deck.
Magician doesn't touch the deck or, indeed, the spectator - in fact he (or she) doesn't have to be present.
Resets in seconds.

DVD included.

Worth every cent!

Leo Garet

Postby Leo Garet » September 7th, 2015, 11:48 am

AJM wrote:It's the holy grail of ACAAN.
Uses a borrowed deck.
Magician doesn't touch the deck or, indeed, the spectator - in fact he (or she) doesn't have to be present.
Resets in seconds.

DVD included.

Worth every cent!

Any variations/alternative methods on the DVD?

Leo Garet

Postby Leo Garet » September 7th, 2015, 11:50 am

Inquisitive wrote:Guys, I'm not joking about this. It is legit. Have a look at the thread on the Cafe: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... rum=15&261

Both Bob Cassidy and Ben Harris (two very respectable and trustworthy people) said in the thread that they purchased the effect, and it is real. Both also said that they perform it regularly for laymen. I guess the only way to find out for sure would be if you meet Bob or Ben, then ask them to perform Jeremy's ACAAN for you.

As impossible as it sounds, Jeremy's effect is literally what I said- borrowed shuffled deck of cards is used, and any card and number is named, and the spectator themselves deal down to their number to find their card.

I didn't believe it either like you guys, but since Bob and Ben confirmed it, I now think this may be real.

I don’t care what Cassidy and Harris say; I still don’t believe it.
I’m not from Missouri…..but I am permitted to say: Show me and I might.
But I still won’t pay $2400 for it.

And if it is a hoax, rather than a joke, to what purpose?

performer

Postby performer » September 7th, 2015, 12:14 pm

The hoax is for amusement purposes. I bet he got the idea from this:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 7&forum=44

Here was the reaction when the hoax was finally revealed. As you can see people still didn't believe it was a hoax even after it was revealed to be so.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 44&start=0

performer

Postby performer » September 7th, 2015, 12:21 pm

I think it is now time for me to reveal one of my methods for this trick. I have actually tried it out and it got great reaction. You use a svengali deck of course. What else? And of course the spectator can count down to the card himself although I probably wouldn't bother as it takes too long and they can fumble the counting.

So the question is how do you get the spectator to say the right card? Simple. In my svengali book there is a method of fanning a deck of cards so that only the key card of the svengali deck shows. You simply address someone, "I am going to fan a pack of cards right in front of you and I want you to think of any card you see. Don't move a muscle, don't say anything, just think of one" The wording stops them from blurting out anything prematurely and of course there is only one card that they CAN think of! So you now have an instant stooge.

However, I have two other methods where you use a regular deck and one of which the spectator is not a stooge,instant or otherwise and you simply ask him to name the card out loud and it will be the one you want because of various nefarious reasons that only I with my undoubted genius was able to figure out.

Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

Postby Zig Zagger » September 7th, 2015, 1:01 pm

I like your outright modesty, performer.

With a bit more braggadocio and hubris, you might become the Shaum Quarqhtart of trick deck pitchers. :mrgreen:
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

Inquisitive

Postby Inquisitive » September 7th, 2015, 1:43 pm

Well, the 'Onion' hoax was actually later revealed to be a 'hoax'. This wasn't, so this can't for sure be a 'hoax'. Plus, as I said, at MindVention 2009 several people saw Jeremy perform it. Bob and Ben are the ones who claim to know how this is done, but many others on that thread and other threads claim to have seen it at MindVention 2009. If someone can contact Bob or Ben (I don't know how to contact them) and ask them about this, then that would clear up all confusions.

performer

Postby performer » September 7th, 2015, 6:44 pm

Or contact David Berglas to see if the statement by Mike Ince on that magic cafe is correct.

"David Berglas was shocked and impressed by Jeremy's straightforward solution"

I am getting a strong psychic vibe that David Berglas was neither shocked or impressed on the somewhat reasonable grounds that not only has he never seen this version he has never heard of it either.

At any rate it isn't David's greatest trick anyway. I happen to know his favourite trick (which his son Marvin told me he performs at parties) is to go up to a wall, slam it and the light comes on. I saw him do this 55 years ago. And he still does it although for some reason magicians don't seem to know about it. We were in a private house and suddenly the lights flickered and went out. I assumed a fuse had blown. He then went up to the wall and started to feel various parts of it. I assumed he had some kind of electrical experience or something as he muttered something about trying to fix it. He then slammed the wall and the light came on.

I was far more impressed with that than with the cigarette routine which he showed me. This was the routine that made him famous according to what Ken Brooke told me. It seemed he did it underwater on television and it created a sensation with the British public. And I saw him do it on stage at the Victoria Palace with the proper lighting and although that theatre must have held around a thousand people it could be seen very clearly and was quite fantastic to behold. Absolutely beautiful.

Alas in a private house setting it didn't look that fantastic to me and of course he made the fatal mistake of asking me how he did it. I said, "Well, you palmed them" He snorted in great denial, "How could I palm that amount of cigarettes?" I knew perfectly well how he palmed them and of course told him whereupon he changed the subject very quickly.

I regard the any card at any number triviality as "conjuring for conjurers" as the old time magicians would say and I have no idea what the fuss is about. It is just a card trick like any other card trick. A good card trick perhaps but then there are many good card tricks.

performer

Postby performer » September 7th, 2015, 7:18 pm

Zig Zagger wrote:I like your outright modesty, performer.

With a bit more braggadocio and hubris, you might become the Shaum Quarqhtart of trick deck pitchers. :mrgreen:

You really must excuse me. Everyone is entitled to have a favourite magician. Mine just happens to be me. It is a free country you know.

However, I am puzzled by your reference to "Shaum Quarqhtart". I did do a search on the internet and found no such person. It does give rise to suspicion that you are referring to a certain noted Canadian performer that is highly respected in certain circles. I have no idea of his modesty or lack thereof. However, if he is in showbusiness it is quite important that he has a high opinion of himself. It is a tough business and if you do not have a strong ego to see you through the tough times it is not a good thing. You have to have great confidence in yourself in order to survive.

But back to my wondrous versions of Card at Any Number. I shall reveal part of the secret of my third method. I simply have the named card on top and second deal to it. I know you may think that it is better if the spectator does the dealing but that can take all day and my audiences are terribly impatient. However, the key part that might puzzle you is "how do I know what card they will say?". Remember ANY person can say ANY card! There. Figure that one out.

I bet you can't. There. I always wanted to do a bit of "conjuring for conjurers" too.

Inquisitive

Postby Inquisitive » September 7th, 2015, 7:33 pm

@Performer,

I guess this *might* be a hoax, but I personally think it's not, since Bob and Ben claim to own it, and they also claim to perform it (which is a pretty big claim).

Now, in a previous post of yours, you said that you'll have to ask Bob about this. I'm assuming you know how to contact Bob, since you said that. Thus, to clear up all of this, I suggest you contact Bob (I don't know how to contact him) and ask him about Jeremy's ACAAN.

performer

Postby performer » September 7th, 2015, 8:22 pm

I do know Bob. Here are two things about him. He has a devilish sense of humour and I can quite see him going along with this nonsense. The other thing I know about him is that he is not going to pay $2400 for this.

Inquisitive

Postby Inquisitive » September 8th, 2015, 7:38 am

performer wrote:I do know Bob. Here are two things about him. He has a devilish sense of humour and I can quite see him going along with this nonsense. The other thing I know about him is that he is not going to pay $2400 for this.

I just did research on Jeremy Weiss on his website, and in the 'About me' section he said that he is a 'student' and a 'friend' of Bob Cassidy. Perhaps, Jeremy told Bob the secret for free since he is a student and a friend of Bob. Thus, Bob might have not even paid for it.

Since you know Bob, can you ask him about Jeremy's ACAAN? I'm interested in know if this is the real deal or not.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 8th, 2015, 8:26 am

How does this work improve upon that already in our literature and in performance by David Berglas?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

performer

Postby performer » September 8th, 2015, 2:10 pm

Inquisitive. Since you ARE Jeremy Weiss (if he even exists) I am at a loss to know why you need to research yourself.

Remember that I am psychic and know these things.................

performer

Postby performer » September 8th, 2015, 5:26 pm

Here is David Berglas himself doing the trick. I hate the comments underneath. I really detest the bloody internet. And of course there are alleged explanations all over the place in computer land. I am really glad I missed all this horrible internet access to magic secrets for most of my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5ps88KUXLc

Inquisitive

Postby Inquisitive » September 8th, 2015, 5:36 pm

performer wrote:Inquisitive. Since you ARE Jeremy Weiss (if he even exists) I am at a loss to know why you need to research yourself.

Remember that I am psychic and know these things.................

I am not Jeremy Weiss, therefore I am not researching about myself.

I really suggest you ask Bob Cassidy about Jeremy's ACAAN. I'm more than certain that Bob will agree that this effect is real. It won't hurt asking him.

performer

Postby performer » September 8th, 2015, 5:42 pm

I will. I may even try to get him to comment on here even though he hates this place.

Anyway, never mind all that. See if you can figure out how I can influence people to say the card I want. No stooges. Once they name it I can then just second deal to it or if I haven't the energy just have it on the bottom, deal in a normal manner then simply bottom deal the last number.

I have just told you how I deal to the card. I can't be bothered getting a spectator to do it as I work in the real world and there is a danger the audience will fall asleep by the time they do it. Or if they don't I probably will. But HOW DO I GET A RANDOM SPECTATOR TO NAME THE CARD I WANT?

A far bigger mystery than your daft trick and I won't charge $2400 for it!

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 8th, 2015, 7:09 pm

Mark, are my eyes playing tricks on me, or did he openly and obviously cut/prearrange the pack twice before giving it to the spectator to count down to the 25th card?

Inquisitive

Postby Inquisitive » September 8th, 2015, 9:03 pm

performer wrote:I will. I may even try to get him to comment on here even though he hates this place.

Anyway, never mind all that. See if you can figure out how I can influence people to say the card I want. No stooges. Once they name it I can then just second deal to it or if I haven't the energy just have it on the bottom, deal in a normal manner then simply bottom deal the last number.

I have just told you how I deal to the card. I can't be bothered getting a spectator to do it as I work in the real world and there is a danger the audience will fall asleep by the time they do it. Or if they don't I probably will. But HOW DO I GET A RANDOM SPECTATOR TO NAME THE CARD I WANT?

A far bigger mystery than your daft trick and I won't charge $2400 for it!

That would be great if you can at least contact Bob regarding this effect, and even better if you can get him to comment on here.

I don't know how you get them to name the card you want. You psychologically force the card on them, of course. But how? I don't know.

performer

Postby performer » September 8th, 2015, 9:12 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:Mark, are my eyes playing tricks on me, or did he openly and obviously cut/prearrange the pack twice before giving it to the spectator to count down to the 25th card?

You did, but that wouldn't mean a thing in an actual performance situation. Alas on bloody you tube with people having the luxury to go back over it it does. In real life nobody will notice a bloody thing.

An essential advantage for any performer is what my old friend the legendary escapologist Murray termed "audacity and bluff". I would highly recommend it be developed by a magician if he doesn't already have it. You can often achieve just as much by audacity and bluff that you can do with sleight of hand.

performer

Postby performer » September 8th, 2015, 9:17 pm

[/quote]

That would be great if you can at least contact Bob regarding this effect, and even better if you can get him to comment on here.

I don't know how you get them to name the card you want. You psychologically force the card on them, of course. But how? I don't know.[/quote]

Of course you do not know. Some of us are born to lead and some of us are born to follow. As for Bob Cassidy you may well be the man himself for all I know.

And no. I don't "psychologically" do anything. The secret is that I use my genuine psychic ability to predetermine what card a person is going to say. With a little preparation of course.........................

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 8th, 2015, 10:01 pm

Performer, I agree that YouTube is, in many ways a blight upon our trade in that yes, people have, as you say, "the luxury to go back over" it and thereby discern the methods, and worse yet, just watch a video the whole raison d'être of which is to reveal the secret. But I just watched the video once. I think there is a big difference between what you have characterized as "audacity and bluff" and just outright blatant flashing, and I think that distinction means a lot, arguably everything, in a performance situation. It seems to me that telegraphing a method and being detected, is at the opposite end of the spectrum from the creation of illusion. The audience reaction and response (or lack thereof) is the barometer of where on that spectrum a particular performance lies.

performer

Postby performer » September 8th, 2015, 10:15 pm

You are a magician and naturally see things through the eyes of a magician. As mentioned previously I always try to see things through the eyes of a layman. A magician will see the secret after one run through-a layman won't. You know what was coming next. The layman doesn't. There is plenty of chatter before the lady deals the cards. They will forget that little movement.

I know this personally. I do all sorts of things brazenly in front of people. They never catch on. Audacity and bluff-remember?

With regard to the audience reaction we have no idea what the circumstances of that performance actually were. And it should be noted that apparently David was 90 years old at the time of that clip. To be standing up let alone on a stage is a feat at that age. I can hardly stand up now. You are not going to get the same level of performance at 90 than you are at 40. And David has actually acknowledged this in the past.

I bet people in that audience were fooled anyway if they were laymen. At least they will be until they watch themselves on You Tube. Whoever put that video up should delete some of the comments underneath. I know that I would never allow them.

JHostler

Postby JHostler » September 8th, 2015, 10:15 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:Mark, are my eyes playing tricks on me, or did he openly and obviously cut/prearrange the pack twice before giving it to the spectator to count down to the 25th card?

You didn't ask me, but I'll respond anyway. What you are seeing in the linked video is a truncated version of the thing Berglas has been known to do in a formal setting. Check out the DVD that came w/ Kaufman's book if you want to know more.

No one - Berglas included - can pull off the "holy grail" (what a juvenile characterization) consistently. It's not possible, and there is no solution other than "real magic." David's brilliance lies in leaving folks with an impression of perfection.
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Return to “Reference Room”