Faced pack - explorations

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Jonathan Townsend

Faced pack - explorations

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 1st, 2012, 1:09 pm

Hi Folks,

This is likely a beginner's level question -
Is there a reference for using a faced pack ( you turn the deck or packet in hand over to make a new "top of the pack" when you want) usage? Preferred cover actions/sleights/setup?

thanks in advance,

Jon

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Re: Faced pack - explorations

Postby Tom Frame » August 1st, 2012, 2:03 pm

Jonathan,

Whaley tells us that facing a deck was first described in 1793 by Henri Decremps in his Testament de Jrme Sharp. It was described again in 1877 by Edwin Sachs in Sleight of Hand.

In Expert Card Technique (1940) Hugard and Braue describe covertly facing a deck with a pass, a half pass and the Charlier pass.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 1st, 2012, 2:28 pm

Thanks Tom,

It seems, like the glide, a basic strategy and I don't see it used or referenced too often. I was expecting it to be the second way anyone thought to do tricks like "your card at any number" or swap in dupes for an ace assembly. With that in mind, and not finding "Marlo Flips His Pack"... figured it's time to ask the gang here for pointers.

:)

Jon

Chas Nigh

Postby Chas Nigh » August 1st, 2012, 3:11 pm

Vernon had a technique using a reach.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 2nd, 2012, 12:48 am

Is the goal to secretly turn the deck over? If so this can often be covered by putting the deck on the table. If you hold a deck in dealing position and place it on the table, you will almost automatically turn it over. Just the slightest distractioni.e. ask a spectator a questionwill eliminate the turnover from the spectator's thoughts.

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » August 2nd, 2012, 1:39 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:I was expecting it to be the second way anyone thought to do tricks like "your card at any number"

It's used exactly like that for a trick in Royal Road. Can't remember the name of the trick off the top of my head, though.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

pixsmith

Postby pixsmith » August 2nd, 2012, 2:01 pm

It is, I think, "Mentalivity" in the Reverses section. It's a pretty good starting point for tricks of that ilk.

Pix
(who has too much free time and too many things cluttering his brain)

Return to “Reference Room”