Rollover Aces

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
David Thomas

Rollover Aces

Postby David Thomas » September 22nd, 2008, 8:44 pm

I am looking for good patter for rollover aces. I've thought about using the standard triumph patter modified, but does anyone else have any suggestions?

Thank you.

David Thomas

Re: Rollover Aces

Postby David Thomas » September 23rd, 2008, 8:42 pm

Anyone????????????????????

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » September 23rd, 2008, 8:54 pm

David

You seem genuinely surprised that no one is responding to your request.

Im not surprised no one is responding to your request.

There are several reasons why. If you (Davidno one else is eligible) can relate just one, I will send you a free DVD (you will get a long list from which to choose); if you want it.

Dustin

David Thomas

Postby David Thomas » September 23rd, 2008, 9:02 pm

Because that would be stealing other people's creativity and work, and I need to learn to be creative and original in my own presentation???????

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 23rd, 2008, 9:32 pm

When Dingle did it, he had no creative presentation: he just presented it as "I'm putting the four Aces into different parts of the deck, shuffling the cards face up and face down, and now producing the Aces--and look, here are the royal flushes as well." No story.

Michael Ammar does it while being timed, which I don't care for.

You don't need a story for this effect. Just be yourself, be charming (if you have it in you)--this trick will carry itself because the spectators will be busy wondering how you're going to find the Aces among the mess you've made of the deck with all the shuffling. The ending kills, and that's all which is remembered.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

David Thomas

Postby David Thomas » September 23rd, 2008, 9:35 pm

From what the book says, it took Derek very very very little time to do the shuffles so he didn't need to create a huge story. I don't like Michael Ammar's thing either......

Thank you!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 23rd, 2008, 9:50 pm

I heard once that card cheats could bend cards so they could find them later after the deck was shuffled (openly bend the aces and insert). They could just cut to the cards they wanted. Though you probably could mess them up if you shuffled the deck this way - (gasp) since the cards are now bent every which way. Now if I shuffled the cards again - do you imagine the cards are more or less shuffled then before? My friends and I are split on that question so I'll give them one more shuffle and let you make up your own minds. We think about that stuff alot since we heard about a guy who could put the aces into a deck and have it shuffle and then cut to them, one right after the other, which was very cool and nobody knows how he did it but we wonder if what he did would work after the deck is this mixed up...

By the way I forgot to ask if you like card tricks. I don't but I will show you three. First here are the aces - just the way Scarne did it, but not like this. Next...

nah - IMHO it's really between your performing character and your audience. The rapport you establish and your pacing really has to set up the flow of words. Again just my opinion.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » September 24th, 2008, 2:47 pm

David Thomas wrote:Because that would be stealing other people's creativity and work, and I need to learn to be creative and original in my own presentation???????

Wow David, I must say Im impressed. Of course, it raises a question in my mind: If you knew this, why did you ask the question?

I will PM you with the list of DVDs from which you may choose.

Dustin

David Thomas

Postby David Thomas » September 24th, 2008, 6:44 pm

I dunno Dustin, didn't think about it until you raised that question, but now I know. Thanks a lot.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » September 24th, 2008, 9:41 pm

No worries.

Im with RK on this one: Its a card trick versus a show piece that lends itself to an ongoing story. The most you might want to do is set it up with something like, This is something a card sharp showed me. It was the last card trick he did before the guys he cheated broke his thumbs.

Sometimesin fact a lot of timescard tricks are just card tricks and theres nothing wrong with that.

Dustin

PS: I gave you full credit for your answer because of the second half of your answer. As for the first half, it wouldnt be stealing if someone gave you their idea knowing you might be using it.

See how easy it is to win DVDs around here? :)

David Thomas

Postby David Thomas » September 24th, 2008, 11:08 pm

Well, I didn't think it would be that easy! Hey, thanks Dustin and everyone else for the advice. The tryouts are less than two days away, and I will likely be showing this. Wish me luck!

I'll need it.... :)

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 25th, 2008, 7:15 am

David Thomas wrote:...The tryouts are less than two days away, and I will likely be showing this. Wish me luck!

You might be surprised how much better a piece with some fun presentation goes over than something which shows off skill yet lacks... nah maybe they want to see chops these days.

David Thomas

Postby David Thomas » September 25th, 2008, 10:29 am

Sure hope so, Jonathan. Need to work on presentation more than anything with this one...

Doug Conn

Postby Doug Conn » September 26th, 2008, 9:46 am

Dustins answer (or, more specifically, your answer to Dustins question) was spot on...

But, if youre still lookin for a presentation...

take a peek @
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsTGpZfJVro

note: Flush Brush is based on a Kenner effect (Paint by Numbers from Out of Control) which (if Im not mistaken)was inspired by the Dingle trick

Anyhay, maybe the patter/theme will help ya out. Me thinks you could use a similar presentation for the Rollover Aces (card tricks as art... mixing pallette (during fu/fd shuffle)
etc, etc)
Learn more bout me: http://www.connmagic.com

Adrian Kuiper

Postby Adrian Kuiper » September 26th, 2008, 9:52 am

Here's an idea....

Why not do "Flush Brush"....it's a Killer!!!

Adrian

David Thomas

Postby David Thomas » September 26th, 2008, 10:30 am

Sorry Adrian, tryouts are tomorrow. Thanks anyway though.

:)

Return to “Reference Room”