Coin Magic

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
David Thomas

Coin Magic

Postby David Thomas » September 3rd, 2008, 7:38 pm

Hello...

Until recently buying the complete works of derek dingle (Not my best decision, but a great book no doubt) and meeting Dean Dill, I have done nothing but card magic, and I am looking for a good Dvd to buy on coins that's beginner to intermediate level. I'm not sure what to buy. I know Michael ammar has his series on easy to master coin miracles and Daryl has some things on 3 fly, and David Roth has DvDs as well, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bill Duncan

Re: Coin Magic

Postby Bill Duncan » September 3rd, 2008, 10:21 pm

I'm a big fan of David Stone's two DVD set on coin magic. He covers the basics well, and the material is different than what everyone else is doing.

That said, David Roth owns coin magic, and ignoring his work and teaching is like never reading Royal Road, ECT, or Card College. I would recommend picking up one or two of the DVDs he did for L&L and then maybe getting the Stone DVDs for some variety and perspective.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 3rd, 2008, 10:25 pm

There are many styles of handling coins - and yet a foundation in basic sleight of hand with coins can help get you started in whatever direction you choose to go - perhaps some time with Bobo's Modern Coin Magic would be a well spent. It's certainly an easier place to work from than the much older more general classic texts like "sleight of hand" or "magic without apparatus".

Videos - Roth and Rubenstein and Ammar have good teaching material out there. Remember your goal is to lean the basics and not to emulate any teachers at the start.

Dan Watkins over at www.coinvanish.com (-> foundations menu item) has posted a good overview and discussion of his findings for getting started in coin magic.

Enjoy
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on September 3rd, 2008, 10:26 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: nothing clever here

David Thomas

Postby David Thomas » September 3rd, 2008, 11:28 pm

Thanks a lot.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 4th, 2008, 12:11 am

Buy my books CoinMagic and David Roth's Expert Coin Magic. :)

You do not need a DVD.

You do not need a DVD.

You do not need a DVD.

You do not need a DVD.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

David Thomas

Postby David Thomas » September 4th, 2008, 12:30 am

Hmmmmmmm......

In a comparison of DVDs and books, and in my past experiences, books have the benefit of way more effects, and are usually easy to understand (If you're buying from Kaufman and co.!). However, Dvd's have the benefit of being able to view the actual performances.

Scoreboard:
DVD's: 1
Books: 2

Books win!

David Thomas

Postby David Thomas » September 4th, 2008, 12:30 am

But what's the best publication to learn three fly?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 4th, 2008, 1:03 am

There are many versions in print. We put one of the best, Paul Wilson's "Scottish Fly" in Genii long ago.

But you can find Chris Kenner's prototypal handling in "Out of Control."
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steve Vaught
Favorite Magician: Zabrecky, Giobbi, Kopf, Vigil

Postby Steve Vaught » September 4th, 2008, 1:14 am

Richard,

Could you give at least the year that came out in Genii?

Paul Wilson's Scottish Fly

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » September 4th, 2008, 3:08 am

Scottish Fly was in the Ricky Dunn issue, I think in late 99. Search the back issues for the cover and you'll find it.

Take care, Ian

Edit: and don't forget that Jonathan Townsend's Fingertip Coins Across was also published a couple of years ago (don't have the issue to hand, sorry).

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » September 4th, 2008, 4:52 am

You actually need to see people do good coin magic, it has a flow to it that is hard to understand from print, especially at the start when you're trying to master a false transfer. Books are good at teaching specifics of technique and overall routines. But you should see several good people manipulate small objects (coins are only one type) to get the overall sense of how you should approach it.

Nikodemus Siivola

Postby Nikodemus Siivola » September 4th, 2008, 12:02 pm

R. Paul Wilson is also selling another (?) version of his 3 Fly -- "Completely Crowded!" -- on his website. See http://www.rpaulwilson.com/ .

Cheers,

-- Nikodemus

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 4th, 2008, 12:25 pm

IMHO the student would likely have an easier start with "three fly" type routines after spending some time exploring the multiplying billiards trick or perhaps some thimble routines like Paul Rosini's in Ganson's The Dai Vernon Book of Magic.
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on September 4th, 2008, 12:32 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: just a suggestion - maybe spend some time with Robert-Houdin on "the eye" as well.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » September 4th, 2008, 2:09 pm

You do not need 3 Fly.

You do not need 3 Fly.

You do not need 3 Fly.

You do not need 3 Fly.

You do not need 3 Fly.

Learn to do some good engaging close up coin magic with spectator interaction, like a good Copper/Silver routine or coins across ending in the spectator's hands. People like magic in which they are more than passive applause machines.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » September 4th, 2008, 3:13 pm

Some good information on studying coin magic here:

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubb ... Post173800

Doc Dixon

Postby Doc Dixon » September 4th, 2008, 8:25 pm

Bill Duncan wrote:You do not need 3 Fly.

You do not need 3 Fly.

You do not need 3 Fly.

You do not need 3 Fly.

You do not need 3 Fly.

Learn to do some good engaging close up coin magic with spectator interaction, like a good Copper/Silver routine or coins across ending in the spectator's hands. People like magic in which they are more than passive applause machines.

Preach it.

Preach it.

Preach it.

Preach it.

Preach it.

Preach it.

J.D.C.

Postby J.D.C. » September 5th, 2008, 5:09 am

I am also somewhat new to coin magic and have been doing mostly cards up to now. I found it beneficial to start with self working coin tricks because they are easy and gave me a feel for different types of coins. This enabled me to find coins I could manipulate easier and what I was most comfortable with. I have since bought Bobo's Modern Coin Magic book(I am still waiting for an honest answer on where to get gimmicked "spinning coins") as well as Chris Kenner's Totally Out Of Control. Both books are great but I honestly feel as though even the most basic sleights would have been hard to learn if not for watching a video on them first. I was able to learn quite a bit from David Stone's video.

Marc Rehula

Postby Marc Rehula » September 10th, 2008, 11:49 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Buy my books CoinMagic and David Roth's Expert Coin Magic. :)

You do not need a DVD.

You do not need a DVD.

You do not need a DVD.

You do not need a DVD.

If you're ready for CoinMagic and Expert Coin Magic, you DON'T need a DVD. However, the question is about beginner to intermediate stuff. I agree that books are the way to go. I have CoinMagic, and have just reached a level where I can play around with some of the stuff in there (only SOME of the stuff). But it'll be awhile before I buy ANYTHING with 'Expert' in the title.

There are important aspects of magic that are so CRITICAL to reaching the intermediate level, including timing, flow, rhythm. These are the kind of things that I think ARE needed from a DVD. Not to copy, but the help understand what the words are trying to describe. Watching Sankey demonstrating a shuttle pass, for example, helps me to 'get' the illusion that is so difficult to describe (or else there'd be more books on coin magic).

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » September 10th, 2008, 11:58 am

Maybe it's just me, but I think there are only three books any prospective coin worker ever needs:

Bobo's Coin Magic
Kaufman's CoinMagic
David Roth's Expert Coin Magic

There's a lifetime's worth of stuff in all of those right there.

brian :cool:

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 10th, 2008, 12:15 pm

Yes, it's just you Brian. ;)

I'd go with The Ramsay Legend, Diverting Coin magic and then let the student find something they find useful on their own.

Others might want to work from Downs' The Art of Magic and perhaps The Dai Vernon Book of Magic and Robert-Houdin's Secrets of Conjuring. Many roads to explore if you so choose - some might even want to look in Ponsin's book.
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on September 10th, 2008, 12:17 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Books so old the pages turn to moths in the breeze.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » September 10th, 2008, 12:32 pm

Brian,

There is certainly a wealth of information in those three books. My very favorite magic book of all time is Coin Magic.

For you, perhaps they are enough. You said,

"There are only three books any prospective coin worker ever needs"

I'm still a prospective coin worker. I need:

Kainoa Harbottle's seminal works on edge grip.
Dave Neighbors' take on every classic plot.
Curtis Kam's version of coins to glass.
Mike "Hands like Butta" Gallo's take on EVERYTHING.

There is a wealth of great information out there. Bunches of it is hiding in Tarbell, Almanacs and other compendiums.

I love the books you mentioned. Please don't disparage the choices of others though.

There is no best, there is no only, only what's best for us.
Last edited by Kent Gunn on September 10th, 2008, 12:33 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Forgot fingertip coins across by some pith-master

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » September 10th, 2008, 2:26 pm

Kent,

Just yesterday, Dave Neighbors announced that his new coin book is finished and ready to ship. Contact him for details.

coinjurer@comcast.net

David Neighbors

Postby David Neighbors » September 10th, 2008, 11:31 pm

Hi Tom,
Thanks man! The new book is on Lasson's Ultimate Wild coin gimmick! It's a matched set of Sun & moon coins! One Copper one silver! The book is called Here comes The Sun& the moon! It goes for $ 30.00 and $ 7.00 postage In the U.S.A. You can Paypal me at coinjurer@comcast.net And It's around 20 routines!Ok thanks for your time!

Return to “Reference Room”