Marketing a character

Post topics about the business side of magic.
Arepsi
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield and Dan Garrett and Tommy Wonder

Marketing a character

Postby Arepsi » December 16th, 2023, 2:05 am

Hello and greetings from Finland.

I've been doing magic for a couple of years now, and I'm wondering if anyone offers character performances on their website. Many magicians provide close-up strolling, stand-up, parlour, or stage performances, but is that enough to stand out? Can customers tell magicians services differences right away, or do we all seem the same, offering similar magician services?

I've also been offering big stage illusions, but customer buying behavior is quite simple. They typically look for something that fits their party, and the decision to buy is often based on intuition, especially with new customers.

There's one character I'm working on: Ohjelmaa juhliin
And my standard magician website is Taikuri Aaro Sorva

Btw, is it too confusing to market character performances on same website or would it be better to have a second web domain for character performances?

Sorry it's Finnish, but you can see the picture.
Arepsi
Magician website: Taikuri Aaro Sorva

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Marketing a character

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 16th, 2023, 2:57 am

Carisa Hendrix is a multi-talented woman who also has multiple characters working in multiple disciplines. Lucy Darling is her best, strongest, and most popular, but the bottom line is, Lucy is Carisa. Her site is currently dominated by Lucy, but her other work is also there. Check out her website:
https://www.carisahendrix.com/

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » December 16th, 2023, 4:41 am

A friend of mine, an excellent performer in all areas, has done many corporate walk-around gigs.

However, some years one agency told him that could no longer use his services, because they'd learned that he was also a children's entertainer. His children's-entertainer persona has a different stage name and a separate website. His children's-entertainer website has a link to his general conjuring website, and conversely.

They felt that it would be infra dig to have a mere children's entertainer performing at an auspicious occasion for grown-ups.

Not quite sure what one deduces from that, if anything. I cannot employ you as a carpenter, because you are also an electrician.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » December 16th, 2023, 1:32 pm

I'm having trouble parsing "infra dig"?

If magicians were more viewed as actors, they could be viewed as capable of playing a range of roles.

Yet even actors can fear being typecast, considered fit for only certain types of parts.

I'm not sure any actor touts their experience as a circus clown when auditioning for Hamlet...

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 16th, 2023, 2:28 pm

Magicians are entertainers, not actors.
Actors work in service of the script and the director--they are not there to entertain you.
Magicians are no different than singers, dancers, and novelty acts.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » December 16th, 2023, 5:49 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Magicians are entertainers, not actors.
Actors work in service of the script and the director--they are not there to entertain you.
Magicians are no different than singers, dancers, and novelty acts.

Many actors are entertaining

Many singers and dancers produce work that is engaging and thought provoking but not ‘entertaining’

And until we can actually make a coin disappear, the magician IS acting. And to the extent the magician the audience knows is not the same as the person portraying the magician is, that is also acting.

Acting is a tool. A means to an end.

It can be used in many circumstances not just as directed by a script or a director.

Do all actors have scripts? Do all actors have directors?

Did Ricky jay become an actor when Mamet directed the show? Was he not one before then?

But just as we might not call an actor who learns a card trick a magician we rightfully might not consider a magician who uses the technical they learned in acting class an actor - but where do we draw the line?

Heck, I know people who make a living doing tricks who I wouldn’t consider a magician!!!!

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”