Marketing Riddle Magic Book

Post topics about the business side of magic.
Blaze
Favorite Magician: Robert-Houdin

Marketing Riddle Magic Book

Postby Blaze » March 8th, 2019, 10:06 am

I just published my first book, 101 Riddles, How To Write Them & Use Them In Your Show. And got it published on Penguin Magic a few days ago http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11605
But so far I have no reviews or sales, and I am trying to think of the best way to promote it.

My current ideas:
1. Post some of the riddles in different places, and the first people to solve them get a free review copy.
2. Find people who review a lot of different magic products, and ask them if they would like a review copy.
3. Possibly write an article somewhere about the book and riddles in general. I'm not sure what website would be best though.

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be excellent - thank you!

Jack Shalom

Re: Marketing Riddle Magic Book

Postby Jack Shalom » March 8th, 2019, 10:40 am

I think most magicians would not necessarily see how this would work in their acts. Maybe you could provide some examples of what you're offering?

Blaze

Postby Blaze » March 8th, 2019, 11:26 am

Thank you, that's a very good point, and I will need to think about the best way to convey that without just repeating everything that's in the book.

First, there are the 101 Riddles, and then a section on my methods of writing them. After that is a whole bunch of thoughts and ideas on how to use them in different types of shows. Some of the ideas are very simple (asking some easy riddles during a children's show, and giving them a chance to shout the answer), to some more complex ideas (such as saying the riddle as you do the effect, and then the item you produce at the end is the answer to the riddle).

Then at the end of the book, I have carefully formatted all 101 riddles to fit on two sheets of paper, making it easy to print them out as a giveaway. Along with being able to give them out or sell them at the end of your show, I also have a few extra ideas involving their use (the most obvious of which is adding your business details to them).

I think that still isn't a very good explanation. I suppose it's partially similar to when magic effects are advertised and they don't want to give away the method, but it can hurt the clarity of the description as a result.

If anyone would like a free review copy, let me know here or PM me. I would also like feedback on the book itself for my sake, as while I think it's good, it's hard for me to be fully objective as the author, so it's possible I should actually make a lot of changes.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 8th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Give examples!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Blaze

Postby Blaze » March 8th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Some examples of a few riddles:

13 An army of trillions, a squad for a fee.
In my death, I kill those who buy me.
An assassin in your home invited.
I carry out my mission burnt or lighted.

20 Where I dwell - hanging up high,
I hunt for a smell - upon which I cry.
A scream or a bell - I hope you don't die.

30 You command and we obey.
Yet are lashed 20,000 times a day.
We come in many colours, and often match.
Feeding on light when you open our hatch.

46 Down I lie - leaving tracks wherever I go.
Get in my way and die. Animals to me are slow.
Wherever I go, I'm followed. Each of us are hollowed.
To a path I am bound. Letting out a mighty sound.

And you can see the entire first 50 free at http://www.101riddles.com - just take into account that the website is very much under construction.

An example of using them in your show - maybe I will just copy a paragraph from the book:

"You can ask a riddle at the start of a routine, and then reveal the answer at the end, which is perfect if the question and answer are tied into your routine in some way. Such as, you could tell a story of a time the wise old man on a mountaintop asked you a riddle, and the routine itself is about you trying to find the answer to it. Maybe you would produce items which nearly fit with the wise man's questions, but each one doesn't quite fit. Then the answer could be the final object you produce, or maybe several of the objects combined could be the answer. Or it might turn out not to be a thing, but curiosity, hard work, or anything else you demonstrated on your journey to find the answer.".

I think that is a reasonable example, in that rather than a ready routine, it is advice on creating your own original routine, along with a bunch of other advice and ideas (such as having a pre-recorded voice ask some riddles and then give the answers as preshow entertainment).

Brian Douglas
Favorite Magician: Max Maven

Postby Brian Douglas » March 8th, 2019, 8:54 pm

I'll give it a go. Puppets doing riddles seems like a good fit. $7 for fair use is 'fair'. ;)

Blaze

Postby Blaze » March 8th, 2019, 9:57 pm

Thank you very much!

Feel free to give me any thoughts or feedback, either here or in private messages. Depending on what people think, I might add to it, if they feel like there is anything missing.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » March 9th, 2019, 12:46 am

Blaze wrote:My current ideas ... #2. Find people who review a lot of different magic products and ask them if they would like a review copy.

That's a good idea.

I suggest that you submit a copy to the person on this forum who goes by the name EndersGame.

He will give you a review that is three times as long as your book.

Blaze

Postby Blaze » March 9th, 2019, 1:41 am

Thank you, I will message him now!

Blaze

Postby Blaze » March 18th, 2019, 11:09 am

If anyone here purchased my riddle book from Penguin, I just wanted to say that there is a new version with improved formatting, and some extra content added to "Using riddles in your show". http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11605

It should be available now on your Penguin account for anyone who owns it.

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”