who pays "re-shipping" cost on lost items?

Post topics about the business side of magic.
BoKo
Favorite Magician: ammar

who pays "re-shipping" cost on lost items?

Postby BoKo » November 26th, 2018, 5:05 pm

hello,
i was hoping reach out and find a quorum on the normal etiquette for the following situation:

I purchased a magic product from a vendor outside of the US. I was charged $82 + $10 postage.

A month later, the product has not been delivered. I contacted the seller and he offered to send another, but required that i pay the postage, again. Is this fair/reasonable? Apparently the $10 was not "tracked" postage, but i was given one option, to pay $10.

Should i expect to pay again? Does anyone think this is unfair? Perhaps I am wrong and i would like to know. Im keeping this anonymous (as far as the product and the seller) because i don't want to harm anyone's business.

Perhaps this is an inappropriate post and if so, feel free to delete.

thanks,
joe

Chris Aguilar

Re: who pays "re-shipping" cost on lost items?

Postby Chris Aguilar » November 26th, 2018, 6:00 pm

Sounds like exceptionally poor customer service to me. I guess the vendor isn't expecting to have any repeat business from you.

Brian Douglas
Favorite Magician: Max Maven

Postby Brian Douglas » November 26th, 2018, 6:21 pm

I dunno... seems the risk you take when ordering outside the country without insurance of tracking. I would have asked for tracking myself.

The fact that they are willing to resend sounds like good customer service to me.

One thing you may wish to consider is that the mail service has been backlogged with packages due to the holidays. On normal service it takes 30 days for me to receive things shipped from overseas.

~2 cents

Smurf

Postby Smurf » November 26th, 2018, 9:35 pm

Unless you has some specific agreement stating you were willing to take the hit in case of a lost package, then the seller is always responsible. This would be a non-binding agreement but many people would abide by it anyway due to their own principles.

Actually, when you buy from Ebay or through PayPal, even if you choose the non-tracked method of shipment the shipper/seller is still responsible.

If you purchased with a PayPal payment or a credit card, it is easy to get the full price + shipping refunded if the item was never delivered. I would never ship anything of value without tracking, but even that doesn't always protect the seller.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 26th, 2018, 10:18 pm

Your job is to get payment to them. Their job is to get the item to you.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 26th, 2018, 11:51 pm

No, you should absolutely NOT send more postage to them.
They can refund the full amount (including postage) to you, or resent the item.
If they get stubborn, name them here.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”