How To Book A Country Club Gig

Post topics about the business side of magic.
Lou Serrano

How To Book A Country Club Gig

Postby Lou Serrano » June 9th, 2011, 6:40 pm

I recently booked a country club gig where I perform magic on a bi-weekly basis (every other week), and Ive received several emails from people that have inquired on how to book these gigs. Country clubs can be a gold mine of opportunity for acquiring new clients that have the means to hire you for high-end private and corporate events.

I just posted a very short two-minute video on my blog where I share one simple but highly effective technique for booking your next country club gig.

Click Here to check out the video.

As always, I welcome your comments.

Lou Serrano

Scott Burton

Re: How To Book A Country Club Gig

Postby Scott Burton » June 9th, 2011, 8:33 pm

Lou's back! Missed your posts!

As usual, great advice.

Personally, I'm thinking that Winnipeg is VERY different from California. Here, most country clubs are run by the city and flat-out broke (current the city is trying to sell them). The private clubs are small and have few non-golf perks.

However, your advice is still a great lesson and reminder for any kind of market.

Lou Serrano

Postby Lou Serrano » June 9th, 2011, 9:34 pm

Thanks Scott, I guess California is different from Winnipeg. The country clubs out here are all privately run. The current club I'm performing at only has about 500 members, but the clientele is top notch.

Here's another lesson that can be gleaned from this post. Opportunities constantly present themselves, but most of the time we are so focused on what we want that we miss out on these opportunities.

By keeping an open mind, we can look at our current situation and see other possibilities that we may not have seen at first.

Richard Wiseman conducted a ten-year study a few years back on the nature of luck. This study concluded that for the most part, people created their own good or bad luck. It was also concluded that people that considered themselves to be lucky also saw and took advantage of the opportunities that fell before them.

Great to hear from you Scott!

Lou

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 9th, 2011, 10:53 pm

Based on his bio, Del Ray made a big chunk of his living via the private country club marketplace.

Scott, we have municipally owned golf courses here that have "Country Club" in their name, but they are still public courses. There are also privately owned CCs that are open to the public as well. It's just a matter of semantics.

Dustin

Lou Serrano

Postby Lou Serrano » June 10th, 2011, 2:57 pm

Dustin, you're absolutely correct. There is a private CC out by where I live where I fill-in for the resident magician from time to time, and the restaurant is open to the public. I found it a little odd at first, until I realized this isn't unusual.

Lou

joshlondon

Postby joshlondon » January 8th, 2012, 7:09 pm

Hi Lou,

New member of the forums here, but was just wondering if you have any experience in conatcting "cold" country clubs. Meaning, clubs that have never used you or never referred you to one of their clients.

I currently have a postcard/email campain for country clubs in place and it's been rewarding as the catering managers give my info out to the members who request references for entertainment. But, I like your idea of being a regular at a club.

Best,
Josh London

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”