Pickwick & Frolics

Post topics about the business side of magic.
Adam Brooks

Pickwick & Frolics

Postby Adam Brooks » August 9th, 2002, 3:36 pm

I have a general question for our community, but I'm going to make it by way of an announcement.

I was doing some effects for some friend at the Second City Cleveland(where I work), and one of the actors said "They'd eat you up at Pickwick and Frolics!" I asked him what that was, and he told me. Yesterday, the manager of the place showed me.

My fellow magicians, Pickwick & Frolics has the potential to become a household name for us within 10 years. If this first branch is a success, they would like to become a chain.

Pickwick & Frolics is primarily a restaurant, but it also has a comedy club, Hilarities, and two bars, one of them being a martini bar. They have also purchased a piano from the Magic Castle, and plan of having a ghost of their own coming in to play a show every night. Of course, I wouldn't have even mentioned Pickwick's if it didn't have a serious magic tie-in: they are looking to have table-side magicians performing, every day. The magicians are also going to serve as hosts, and MCs for the shows. They are going to a much larger part of the Pickwick community than just entertainers.

I got the opportunity to speak with the Marketing Director, (the man in charge of hiring the talent), and he told me to "send in any promotional materials I had"; a perfectly natural thing for a man in his position to ask for.

And therein, lies the rub for me.

I have never had any promotional material, not even a business card. This place is very upscale, and I have been a hobbyist for more or less my entire life. I have had one successful three month run at a pub in Australia, which was incredibly fun, and paid fairly well, but the business behind it was, well, informal. I have wanted to take another step into the world of the professional magician, but I fear that this would be biting off way, way more than I could chew.

After seeing all this writing, I think the answer is fairly clear for what I should do. Nonetheless, I have yet to really find any sort of magic "community" in the Cleveland area. I figure, at the very least, it would be a nice way to meet some fellow magi in the area.

A peso for your thoughts,

Adam

Adam Brooks

Re: Pickwick & Frolics

Postby Adam Brooks » August 9th, 2002, 4:24 pm

If you want to check out the website, it's:

http://www.pickwickandfrolic.com

-Adam

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”