Prop Storage Suggestions?

Post topics about the business side of magic.
MagicUnlimited
Favorite Magician: Johnny Thompson

Prop Storage Suggestions?

Postby MagicUnlimited » May 1st, 2023, 12:30 pm

Looking for suggestions on storing and organizing props?

Magicians accumulate an incredibly important collection of props, gimmicks, gags. From bulky wooden boxes to tiny threads, sliks, bags, coins, swords and everything in between. Many are unique, rare, sentimental, fragile, valuable.

I have heard it suggested that any prop not visably on display will be forgotten. I do not have the luxury of unlimited designated shelf space for magic.

Does anyone have any tried-and-true techniques for organizing and storing these props so they are not forgotten, lost, and can be easily accessed?

Many, many thanks!

Bob Farmer

Re: Prop Storage Suggestions?

Postby Bob Farmer » May 1st, 2023, 12:45 pm

I bought more than a hundred plastic shoe boxes from Home Depot. these are transparent and stackable.

MagicUnlimited

Postby MagicUnlimited » May 1st, 2023, 1:18 pm

Dear Bob:

Thank you for your reply. Yes! Excellent suggestion.

I bought half a dozen clear plastic storage boxes from Michaels (~20" x 20" x 5") that stack and I have labled: "coins" ,"cards", "silks and bags", "canes and wands", etc. Perfect for those 386 decks or cards.

But lots of things are hard to fit in a category, or don't fit in the boxes. (Tables, large wooden ducks, etc.) Or are part of routines I do all the time, and belong, maybe in some kind of "go bag"?

But yes. The plastic boxes are superb. (Magic Castle swap meet on Saturday!)

Many thanks again.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 1st, 2023, 1:30 pm

I use plastic drawers from The Container Store. Must have at least 50 of them. They stack nicely and slide easily.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

MagicUnlimited

Postby MagicUnlimited » May 1st, 2023, 4:50 pm

Thank you Richard!

Will check them out.

Method of organization tips? By apparatus? (Cards, coins, balls, IT, etc.), Show type? (Walk-around, Kids, Mentalism, Close-up, Parlor, etc.), "go-to" first-choice, second tier, etc.? I have "gaffed cards" and "straight cards" labels. Any especially useful or unusual labels?

Many thanks again.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 1st, 2023, 5:33 pm

I got lucky and found a Craftsman tool chest and cabinet at a deep discount It turns out those drawers are perfectly sized to store gaffed/ungaffed decks. The bigger drawers hold my other (close up and parlour) props with ease.

In terms of storing gaffed cards, I use Ultra Pro Card pages in a 3 ring binder and Post-It notes to label the slots.

For gaffed coins, it's Archival coin pages (with flaps) in a 3-ring binder. Shells are stored with appropriate coin inside.

Now if I could just find more space for books!

MagicUnlimited

Postby MagicUnlimited » May 1st, 2023, 5:38 pm

Archival coin pages. Brilliant!

I always worry my collection of rare, vintage and custom magnetic/shell/folding quarters and halfs will be used in a parking meter by mistake.

Thank you!!!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 1st, 2023, 7:47 pm

Here are the coin pages that I like: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09XW ... =UTF8&th=1

MagicUnlimited

Postby MagicUnlimited » May 1st, 2023, 9:38 pm

Thank you!
Shells are very delicate. One little bend, dent ruins it.
Sleeves offer excellent at-a-glance storage and protection!
Thanks again.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 3rd, 2023, 11:04 am

Speaking of other prop storage issues: Camera lens cases are a nice solution to storing cups and balls sets (I first read that in one of the late Pete Biro's columns, I think).

However, I have not yet found a sturdy, affordable case to safely transport a single champagne glass (coupe). Most of the commercial cases I've seen are too big and hold multiple glasses.

MagicUnlimited

Postby MagicUnlimited » May 3rd, 2023, 1:56 pm

Thank you.

For transporting and storing the champangne glass, try putting it in an oversized sock and stuffing in a large cardboard tube. I use tubes to transport/store a glass ketchup bottle (getting hard to find) and now full Corona beer bottle, inside a large plastic ziplock bag just in case.

I don't think Joshua Jay's plastic goblet is ideal. He burned some flash paper in one and it looked like the goblet melted a little bit.

I also use the heavy-duty mailing tubes to store/transport fragile long items like swords, plastic canes, etc.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 3rd, 2023, 5:35 pm

erdnasephile wrote:Speaking of other prop storage issues: Camera lens cases are a nice solution to storing cups and balls sets (I first read that in one of the late Pete Biro's columns, I think).

However, I have not yet found a sturdy, affordable case to safely transport a single champagne glass (coupe). Most of the commercial cases I've seen are too big and hold multiple glasses.

Have you looked at knockoff Pelican cases? Some are pretty inexpensive.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 4th, 2023, 8:36 am

Bill Mullins wrote:
erdnasephile wrote:Speaking of other prop storage issues: Camera lens cases are a nice solution to storing cups and balls sets (I first read that in one of the late Pete Biro's columns, I think).

Have you looked at knockoff Pelican cases? Some are pretty inexpensive.

Thanks, Bill--I'll check them out.

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”