Why is editing so bad in magic publications?

Post topics about the business side of magic.
Bob Farmer

Re: Why is editing so bad in magic publications?

Postby Bob Farmer » June 27th, 2021, 2:05 pm

The most obvious misspelling is on the cover of the Tannen version of The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks. Ed Mishell, a lawyer/artist, misspells "Encyclopedia." And in another book (Cliff Green?) Mishell has a hand with six fingers.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » June 27th, 2021, 6:23 pm

I have to admit I had a great fondness for Colon, MI's motto as the "Magic Capitol of the World."

Such a charmingly grand claim, with such a charmingly glaring error.

Now they're just the "Magic Capital of the World," and it ain't the same.

I used to have the old motto on a coffee cup. I was very sad when it broke. A friend gifted me a classic-motto bumper sticker, though, so it does live on.

JHostler

Postby JHostler » June 27th, 2021, 7:26 pm

It's just too bloody easy to self-publish these days, and bad writers often have no clue how bad they really are.
"Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong." H.L. Mencken

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 27th, 2021, 8:27 pm

It's all a matter of having a proofreader who is smarter than the writer. Having a proofeader who is as stupid as the writer doesn't help.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » June 28th, 2021, 11:41 am

Ted M wrote:I have to admit I had a great fondness for Colon, MI's motto as the "Magic Capitol of the World."

Such a charmingly grand claim, with such a charmingly glaring error.

Now they're just the "Magic Capital of the World," and it ain't the same.

I used to have the old motto on a coffee cup. I was very sad when it broke. A friend gifted me a classic-motto bumper sticker, though, so it does live on.

I like it. Capitol, I mean.

I kant help wandering iff it was'nt a spellin or tie-pin errror. Its fyne has his.

Fredrick
Favorite Magician: Eugene Burger

Postby Fredrick » June 28th, 2021, 3:41 pm

JimKane wrote:"How Time Flys" - from the U.F. Grant: 'Presto Clock Vanish' prop; Grant/Mak.

I don't know if the classic 'Presto Clock Vanish' is a prop that Mak still sells; but, if they do, I hope they never change the misspelling on the prop - if they did, it might just ruin all of magic.

Jim,

It looks like the Presto Clock Vanish is still manufactured. Plus they’re still using the same stencil . Fortunately the webmaster has the correct spelling in the copy. https://www.makmagic.com/product-popup.asp?prodid=P7232

~ fredrick
"Try to find the humanity in the magic..." ~ Michael Moschen
The Jinx Companion

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 28th, 2021, 4:35 pm

The best part about seeing this thread rise again was being able to once again read a post by the dearly departed Matthew Field who was one of the standout editors in magic.

He is very sorely missed.

JimKane
Favorite Magician: Shimada

Postby JimKane » June 28th, 2021, 5:23 pm

Fredrick wrote:
JimKane wrote:"How Time Flys" - from the U.F. Grant: 'Presto Clock Vanish' prop; Grant/Mak.

I don't know if the classic 'Presto Clock Vanish' is a prop that Mak still sells; but, if they do, I hope they never change the misspelling on the prop - if they did, it might just ruin all of magic.

Jim,

It looks like the Presto Clock Vanish is still manufactured. Plus they’re still using the same stencil . Fortunately the webmaster has the correct spelling in the copy. https://www.makmagic.com/product-popup.asp?prodid=P7232

~ fredrick

Here's what's interesting: I have a Tannen's Catalog, either #5 from '66 or #8 '70, which also corrects the spelling in the ad-copy to: "Flies" - just as you have cited in your link above - yet, the hand-drawn artwork renders the prop by including the misspelling of "Flys" on the illustration of the tray/board itself.

I think it reasonable to assume that since the copy-writers were aware of the misspelling on the prop back in the mid/late 60s - and, subsequently corrected the error in their own copy - Grant/Mak must have been made aware of the error as well; but, for whatever reason, chose to never make the correction. Perhaps they found the routine played "bigger" if kids noticed the spelling error and began shouting out - sort of like an added 'kicker' to the climax - milking the routine for more time, more laughs, and, audience participation.

Perhaps...

Or, perhaps Grant/Mak just didn't care to cut a new set of metal stencils; and, simply let those props "Fly" out of the warehouse with the misspelling.

I don't own this prop; but, if I did, I could certainly want the misspelled version - it's classic!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 28th, 2021, 7:10 pm

Just. Didn't. Care.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”