The Greatest Mentalist of Them All!

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

The Greatest Mentalist of Them All!

Postby Tarotist » September 18th, 2022, 3:00 pm

Well, at least I think so even if nobody else does! I have never seen anyone to equal him either past or present. Well, perhaps Dunninger but that is about it. Up to now I thought there was no video available of him except something with no sound so I am delighted to come across this. Here you are!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmY9cGsn8XE

Jack Shalom

Re: The Greatest Mentalist of Them All!

Postby Jack Shalom » September 19th, 2022, 8:46 am

I seem to remember seeing either a photo or a video of Fogel coming out of a spaceship kind of contraption--I think he had claimed he had been to outer space? Anyone know what I'm speaking of?

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » September 19th, 2022, 9:19 am

Jack Shalom wrote:I seem to remember seeing either a photo or a video of Fogel coming out of a spaceship kind of contraption--I think he had claimed he had been to outer space? Anyone know what I'm speaking of?

Fogel had a gag where he entered a rocket which disappeared in a flash of light, circumnavigated the earth a few times and he was found in a field a couple of hours later. It's in the Fogel book.

Joe Lyons

Postby Joe Lyons » September 19th, 2022, 9:58 am

Joe Lyons wrote:
Jack Shalom wrote:I seem to remember seeing either a photo or a video of Fogel coming out of a spaceship kind of contraption--I think he had claimed he had been to outer space? Anyone know what I'm speaking of?

Fogel had a gag where he entered a rocket which disappeared in a flash of light, circumnavigated the earth a few times and he was found in a field a couple of hours later. It's in the Fogel book.

There's also an article about it in the November 1961 Genii.

BarryAllen
Favorite Magician: Joe Riding & Chan Cansta.

Postby BarryAllen » September 19th, 2022, 1:40 pm

I still prefer Chan Canasta personally.

However, I listened recently to a podcast by Graham Jolley; who said that whilst Chan was a superb act for TV, he wasn't great as a stage performer. He'd seen him work a few times performing at a Summer season in Clacton and he struggled to win the audience.

However, Maurice Fogel was undoubtedly a superb stage performer; and comes across well in that TV clip (I assume from a David Nixon Show). Being an East End lad, I wouldn't expect anything less. ;)

If I had to be critical of any element of that performance, it's at 4 mins 28 seconds. Those who know, will know (why).

As an aside, I had to chuckle when I noticed that 2 of our 6 Army marksmen wore specs!

Here's some background about Maurice that some may find useful:

https://forzonimagic.com/mindreaders-hi ... ian/fogel/

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 19th, 2022, 2:38 pm

The only time I saw Fogel was at the SAM convention in New York in 1978. He was terrible!
But David Berglas also thinks Fogel is the best mentalist he has ever seen so he must have had a bad night.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » September 19th, 2022, 3:50 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:The only time I saw Fogel was at the SAM convention in New York in 1978. He was terrible!
But David Berglas also thinks Fogel is the best mentalist he has ever seen so he must have had a bad night.

I did read somewhere or other that after he actually got shot doing the bullet thing and had an operation, when he returned to performing he was not as effective as he once was. Perhaps that had something to do with his bad night. I am not sure if the accident occurred before 1978 but I imagine that can be checked out easily.

Yes. I have heard both David Berglas and Paul Daniels on multiple occasions praise Maurice to the sky and say he was the best mentalist of them all. I actually remember Paul saying, "Fogel was a phenomena"

I think his voice had something to do with it. I have hardly ever read or seen it mentioned that the voice of a performer can make all the difference between a good entertainer and an average one. It can be a decided asset if you have the right one.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » September 19th, 2022, 4:20 pm

I agree with Mark about the importance of voice. And I thank him for pointing this out (I have never seen anyone else mention this).

It is uncanny what a difference it makes.

This is my first time seeing Fogel work. I am a big fan of his thinking and it seems he was terrific perfomer as well.

Thanks for posting the clip!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 19th, 2022, 5:05 pm

The accident was before his 1978 performance. I noticed his misshapen forehead.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Diego

Postby Diego » September 19th, 2022, 5:43 pm

The term, "mentalist" can be subjective, unless you limit it to those who call/bill themselves using that word. I have also heard John Daniel call Fogel a phenomena...for his power and resourcefulness. I saw this master of audience.volunteer control at a magic convention at The Wilshire Ebell Theater, (1978-1980?) when a smart ass magic kid( was trying to mess him up while he was having a word from a newspaper selected. I cannot do it justice, but he stopped and assured, (not scolded) him he was going to be sure he had a free choice in his selection, "...and I am going to work very hard for you, for my goal is that you will be one of my most enthusiastic fans!" Turning to the audience, "He is a really bright lad, give him a hand." When he was done, he knew, the kid knew, the audience knew, if he started up again, he would be booed, and the prediction was well received. Wish I had that on video.

Diego

Postby Diego » September 19th, 2022, 5:49 pm

Again, who is allowed in the category of Mentalist can include others. I will speak heresy and say Uri Geller, John Edward, & Rev. Florence Becker of the Golden Gate Spiritualist Church of San Francisco, who built much of her reputation and empire among the old money San Franciscans with her Sunday evening blindfold billet reading. Watching her was an education!

Diego

Postby Diego » September 19th, 2022, 6:36 pm

Sorry to forget the obvious. The Clairvoyants and The Evasons! They took the 2-person mental act and brought into the 21st Century. I have seen the Evasons draw huge collective gasps I haven't seen since Kathryn Kuhlman in her prime.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » September 19th, 2022, 8:56 pm

We have a local two person act here in Toronto although they go all over the place. As a matter of fact they are in America as we speak. Chicago Magic Lounge I think. They are called The Sentimentalists. They keep posting videos of me on TikTok hoping my fame will get them millions of views. I am well aware of what they are up to since I am a real psychic!

Anyway, they are quite good. Check them out if you get a chance.

As for Uri Geller I once saw an article by Maurice Fogel praising him saying that if he had been in the country at the time he would have defended Uri against all the magicians who wanted to expose him. He himself had suffered badly from newspaper exposure aided by jealous magicians who should have minded their own business. I think this made him sympathetic to Geller.

I still remember Alan Alan telling me "Maurice was a broken man after that newspaper article came out"

Anyway, here is a bit more of Maurice Fogel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuAEzY5zVVk

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » September 19th, 2022, 9:26 pm

I remember one incident from years and years and years ago when I was watching Maurice Fogel live. It involves this chap:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_%22Kid%22_Lewis
Ted "Kid" Lewis was a world champion boxer. At the time of the incident he was a very old man and he came up on stage to help Maurice in some "experiment" or other. There was also another helper on stage volunteering. Ted stood on one side of Maurice and the other guy stood on the other. Suddenly, the old boxer accidentally dropped something on the floor and the other guy wanting to be a gentleman helping a senior citizen went to pick it up for Ted. However, Maurice stopped him and let the old boxer pick it up himself. He seemed to know instinctively that it would be a humiliation for a former world champion to let someone else pick up the item. Ted did not see Maurice stop the guy but I and the audience saw it.

I always admired Maurice for his instinctive knowledge of human nature and that was a fine example of it. He saved the old man's dignity and pride. I don't remember that much about the show because it was so many decades ago but I always remembered that.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 20th, 2022, 7:46 am

"Greatest" is, indeed, a subjective term. In terms of the ability to entertain, and to endear oneself to the audience (and quite well-to-do ones at that), I'm with Barry -- Chan Canasta all the way

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » September 20th, 2022, 12:10 pm

Oh, I liked Chan Canasta too. He was a bit long winded and as Barry stated didn't seem to pull it off well before a live audience. He was really a television performer. However, you should have seen Maurice in his prime. He was quite dynamic on stage. I would imagine every British magician of a certain age would certainly agree he was one of the greatest mentalists of all time. Americans would not have been exposed to him so much so they would not realise the power of his personality and approach.

Incidentally I saw my favourite magician David Nixon perform live once in Glasgow. He also didn't come across well in a large theatre. Again a marvellous television performer but that is a different medium altogether and requires a different approach.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 20th, 2022, 1:42 pm

Tarotist wrote: Oh, I liked Chan Canasta too. He was a bit long winded and as Barry stated didn't seem to pull it off well before a live audience. He was really a television performer...Incidentally I saw my favourite magician David Nixon perform live once in Glasgow. He also didn't come across well in a large theatre. Again a marvellous television performer but that is a different medium altogether and requires a different approach.

Very good point. Undoubtedly a different medium, requiring a different approach.

I'm sure many of the members here have seen me on TV...
...If they've watched "America's Most Wanted."

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » September 20th, 2022, 4:29 pm

Television is an intimate medium and it is neither necessary or advisable to project too much. You are actually talking to people who are in their own living room. No need to yell or get excited! On stage you DO have to project to some degree or other. I had heard that Maurice wasn't booked for TV much because he projected too strongly. In fact on that clip he kept it down for most of it but at one point he started to get too dramatic for the medium. Very powerful way to do it when on stage though.

Joe Lyons

Postby Joe Lyons » September 20th, 2022, 5:24 pm

Tarotist wrote:
Richard Kaufman wrote:The only time I saw Fogel was at the SAM convention in New York in 1978. He was terrible!

I did read somewhere or other that after he actually got shot doing the bullet thing and had an operation, when he returned to performing he was not as effective as he once was. Perhaps that had something to do with his bad night.

According to an article by his son-in-law in The Magic Circular:

In 1972 Fogel had an incident in Rhodesia while performing the Russian Roulette act in the video above, resulting in an injury.

In 1974 he had an operation for a brain tumor(potentially triggered by the injury).

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » September 20th, 2022, 5:40 pm

I think he was a bit on the reckless side. I read in the book written about him how he was booked in two different places at the same time on the same night and phoned in a bomb scare in order to do both gigs because he needed the money! He pulled it off too! It reminds me of a certain stage hypnotist some decades ago whose name I have quite forgotten who was reputed to do the same thing to interfere with the shows of his rivals!

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 21st, 2022, 10:47 am

Tarotist wrote:I think he was a bit on the reckless side. I read in the book written about him how he was booked in two different places at the same time on the same night and phoned in a bomb scare in order to do both gigs because he needed the money! He pulled it off too! It reminds me of a certain stage hypnotist some decades ago whose name I have quite forgotten who was reputed to do the same thing to interfere with the shows of his rivals!

Interesting bit of information. I predict:

a sudden surge in my income.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » September 21st, 2022, 1:16 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:
Tarotist wrote:I think he was a bit on the reckless side. I read in the book written about him how he was booked in two different places at the same time on the same night and phoned in a bomb scare in order to do both gigs because he needed the money! He pulled it off too! It reminds me of a certain stage hypnotist some decades ago whose name I have quite forgotten who was reputed to do the same thing to interfere with the shows of his rivals!

I think you get paid less if you are in jail.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 21st, 2022, 2:56 pm

Tarotist wrote:
MagicbyAlfred wrote:

I think you get paid less if you are in jail.

Nice one! Yes, it is true. Fortunately, though, in addition to the mentalism, I do a bit of escapology on the side.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » September 21st, 2022, 4:50 pm

Indeed. However, I think I prefer the old adage "not wanting something is as good as having it----and far less trouble!" One gig at a time is enough for me.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 21st, 2022, 5:11 pm

Tarotist wrote:Indeed. However, I think I prefer the old adage "not wanting something is as good as having it----and far less trouble!" One gig at a time is enough for me.

Me too. And honestly, at this point, I don't want very many gigs. It keeps it fresh and less like a "job." I've just learned to spend less, and to quote another adage, "A penny saved is a penny earned."

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”