Anyone remember this presentation for the Brainwave deck?

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Anyone remember this presentation for the Brainwave deck?

Postby Joe Mckay » May 7th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Does anyone remember where this was published?

You have a spectator name any card they want.

You reach into a big case - fumble around for a couple of seconds - and produce a deck of cards.

In that deck of cards - you show their named card has a different coloured back.

You have this big case on stage with you - so the audience is suspicious that you have 52 decks in there all set up with different outs for the trick.

You then spin the case round and show it is empty. Or perhaps it is a big paper bag and you just crumple it up and throw it away?

I know that Mike Caveney has a trick a bit like this. And so does Tom Stone. But they do not follow the exact plot detailed above. So I am just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of where this presentation (with the kicker ending) was first published?

It is not impossible that I have accidentally come up with this plot myself as a result of misremembering a previously published trick (this is pretty much the only way I am ever creative). So that is also a possibility. But I am going to assume this idea is already in print somewhere.

Any pointers? I really like tricks with a bluff method that you disprove as the kicker to a trick. So I really want to get to the bottom of this one!

Edward Pungot

Re: Anyone remember this presentation for the Brainwave deck?

Postby Edward Pungot » May 7th, 2020, 2:14 pm

Not what you were asking for but in the same genre that's nicely presented by Asi Wind on Fool Us.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fg0CC99hVK8

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » May 7th, 2020, 3:16 pm

I saw that the other day. It is wonderful. The best trick I have seen on that show. And he wasn't even taking part in the contest!

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » May 7th, 2020, 3:22 pm

Is it possible that this was an idea that Michael Close included as part of his (ungaffed) Invisible Deck routine using a memorized deck in the Workers books? I don't have those books with me at the moment so I cannot check.

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » May 7th, 2020, 6:23 pm

Michael Skinner describes a very similar effect (the large case is shown to hold numerous boxes of cards, all of which turn out to be empty) in his introduction to Sawa’s Library of Magic, Vol. 1. (haha) That was written in 1988. The trick was Dr. Sawa’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » May 7th, 2020, 7:40 pm

Yes - that must be it. Thanks so much! I would never have worked out this forgotten reference.

Thanks again!

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”