Help - Anyone familiar with this?

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Dan Bradbury

Help - Anyone familiar with this?

Postby Dan Bradbury » May 3rd, 2020, 3:54 pm

I have a gaffed book of some sort, but I'm not familair with it and I don't see how you would use it. The title of the book is ostensibly DEATH BY DEFAULT (A Sam Dalton Mystery) by Andrew Southern published by SSS Publications. The title page, publication data, contents pages (rather unusual in a mystery novel) all look legit, but the ISBN and LC Control Numbers are bogus. And beginning on page 1 through page 184 (the entire book) there are only three words per page--the first word is "probe", the last word is "traffic" and the word "victim" is repeated some 400+ times fillining each page between those two words. Does anyone have any idea what it is or how you might use it? As far as I can tell it is just a curiosity that someone seemed to go to a lot of trouble to produce. Your sage wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks. - Dan

Dan Bradbury
Bradbury Books
4545 Wornall Road, Ste. 805
Kansas City, MO 64111
dan@BradburyBooks .com
816-531-2468
www.BradburyBooks.com

Jack Shalom

Re: Help - Anyone familiar with this?

Postby Jack Shalom » May 3rd, 2020, 4:51 pm

Well, if the mentalist had a "helpful" index card with a hole cut out of it, which the spec moved around at random while his eyes were closed...

Dan Bradbury

Postby Dan Bradbury » May 3rd, 2020, 5:56 pm

Hmmm... Not bad, Jack. Seems like the opposite page might tip things off though--unless it was masked in some way too.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » May 3rd, 2020, 6:13 pm

I just spoke with Jim Kleefeld, who collects book tests, and he suggested it might be one of the three volumes for Dennis Loomis' DYNAMITE book test. Here's a review of it on the Genii Forum by Bill Palmer:
https://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=20594

Dan Bradbury

Postby Dan Bradbury » May 3rd, 2020, 6:33 pm

Thanks, Dick--I'll bet you and Jim are correct. I could certainly see it used as Bill describes, but it would require a lot of finesse in using the spectator to pull it off. Now I want to see the instruction booklet. Maybe it will come through one of these days. Best to all and thanks for the help. - Dan

Bradbury Books
4545 Wornall Road, Ste. 805
Kansas City, MO 64111
dan@BradburyBooks .com
816-531-2468

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » May 4th, 2020, 3:19 pm

One of Martin Gardner's books has a built-in sub rosa book test (see Ibidem 12).

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”