Question re card trick

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
webbmaster
Favorite Magician: richard Kaufmann

Question re card trick

Postby webbmaster » February 4th, 2020, 2:45 pm

Hi. Does anyone know the origin and credit for a card trick where, let's say, 5 cards are shown to a spectator and they are told to remember one. Those five cards are put on the deck and supposedly five different cards are taken but you do a false-cut or pass/cut and take the top 5 cards, supposedly different - really the same 5 - cards and show them to a different spectator. This trick needs a real audience so the spectators are not real close to each other. So, that spectator remembers 1 out of 5.

This is repeated with different spectators, and supposedly each sees 5 new cards but really they see the same 5 each time. Finally when you have shown 5 spectators and each remembers 1, you produce 5 cards, one-at-a-time, using a different false-cut each time and dealing out the supposed new top card face down until there are 5 cards face down on the table.

The ending is that the cards are turned face up and each spectator is asked "Did I get your card?". Put them away before too many questions come up between the spectators. Move on to another trick or "test".

Does anyone know the origins of this trick. I'm thinking Bob Farmer, or Marlo, or Ted Lesley ? Not sure. I have a different ending I want to add to it but want to give credit where credit is due, etc. Thanks guys.

Bob Farmer

Re: Question re card trick

Postby Bob Farmer » February 4th, 2020, 3:00 pm

Definitely not one of my tricks since the word, "Bammo," is not used.

webbmaster

Postby webbmaster » February 4th, 2020, 4:32 pm

Thanks Bob ! When in doubt I always posit the possibility that maybe it was yours. Performer, when you don't know, you can say you don't know. I think I'll use Ted Lesley and go from there. Throwing in Marlo is always a good bet. When we write up handlings of older tricks, we try to make it seem like some effort at giving credit went in.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » February 4th, 2020, 4:35 pm

Originally, it's the General Card explained in Nouvelles Récréations Mathématiques et Physiques, Vol. 3, par Gilles-Edme Guyot, published in 1769.

The subtlety is that you force the same card but when you show five cards, four differents cards and the force card, everybody said he sees his card...

performer

Postby performer » February 4th, 2020, 5:31 pm

webbmaster wrote:Thanks Bob ! When in doubt I always posit the possibility that maybe it was yours. Performer, when you don't know, you can say you don't know. I think I'll use Ted Lesley and go from there. Throwing in Marlo is always a good bet. When we write up handlings of older tricks, we try to make it seem like some effort at giving credit went in.

Don't be silly, old chap. Of course I know. After all I know everything..................

webbmaster

Postby webbmaster » February 6th, 2020, 11:35 am

Thank you so much Philippe ! That rings true for sure. Obviously you read French. Must be nice. And English. I'll tell you how I plan to use this. I'm basically forcing a group of 5 cards to each of 5 spectators and each remembers 1 of the group. So after seeming to find the 5 cards...I have an ending blowoff in mind based on Annemann's spelling trick where you have to add 9 cards during shuffles. So I'm using the 5 cards required for the Annemann trick in the first phase...then as a kicker I have someone think of 1 of the 5 cards. Gather them up, shuffle to add the 9 cards required for the spelling trick and then use that as the second big ending. Again, thanks so much. Regards, Gregg Webb

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”