Think of a card

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Jim Gerrish
Favorite Magician: All real magicians

Re: Think of a card

Postby Jim Gerrish » November 17th, 2022, 6:38 pm

Do-It-Yourself CLEAR-Voyance Cards can be printed on Transparency Film for either inkjet or laser printer, so without using a deck of cards, just the 8 CLEAR-Voyance Cards, you can have a spectator just think of any one of the 52 cards in a deck.

A second spectator is not trying to guess, nor to mentally see, the freely and randomly chosen card, but only a hole in the universe of 52 cards. It is the ABSENCE of the chosen card that he must perceive. The Receiver must mentally look for where it is NOT. And of course, he does, every time.

https://www.magicnook.com/WizJ34/wizj34-03-CLEARvoyanceCards.htm

BarryAllen
Favorite Magician: Joe Riding & Chan Cansta.

Postby BarryAllen » November 18th, 2022, 7:11 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:You don't need a stacked deck if you're doing Think a Card from a fan or spread. I use Berglas's methods with a shuffled deck.

Absolutely correct Richard.

I learnt 'Think A Card' from my good friend Joe Riding; and have used his method(s) for the best part of 30 years.

However, now that I use a stacked deck in my work, it would be unnecessary to bring a cold deck into play.

Without going into detail, it also makes certain elements of presentation a tad more direct (no fishing) from a Mentalism point of view.

Jim Gerrish
Favorite Magician: All real magicians

Postby Jim Gerrish » November 22nd, 2022, 1:39 pm

Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki (now grown up and performing under his real name of AlQuadir Marsh) devised an effect he called "X Marks the Spot" in 2017 and that we published in The Wizards' Journal #35-01. https://www.magicnook.com/WizJ35/wizj35-01XmarksSpot.htm

The details: The performer has a spectator imagine holding a large deck of playing cards. The spectator is to imagine he sorts through the cards looking for one special card… not the usual sort of card like the Ace of Spades, a Joker, or the Queen of Hearts, although they aren’t ruled out, but trying to select one of the other 50 cards the spectator believes no one would ever guess by chance. He names the card aloud. Encouraged by the performer, in his mind the spectator imagines removing that card from the deck, turning it over and marking a big letter “X” on the back, because “X Marks the Spot.” Then in his mind, he places the card back in the deck and mixes up the cards.

The performer removes a box of playing cards from his pocket. He has the spectator open the box and remove the cards. The spectator removes the top three cards and turns them face up, showing them to be the cards he was asked NOT to imagine – the Ace of Spades, the Joker, and the Queen of Hearts. The performer thanks him for NOT choosing the obvious cards.

Now the performer takes the cards and turns the deck face up, looking for the card named by the spectator as the one he marked with an “X” on the back. That card is handed to the spectator face up, while the backs of all the other cards in the deck are shown to be normal, unmarked backs. When the spectator finally turns his chosen card face down, it is seen to have a large black “X” marking on the back. “X Marks the Spot!”

OK, so it uses a deck of cards at the end, but it's a mind buster that all that imagining results in a real world effect.

BarryAllen
Favorite Magician: Joe Riding & Chan Cansta.

Postby BarryAllen » February 21st, 2023, 4:17 am

X-Marks The Spot' looks very effective.

However, if I'm going to be brutally honest, it smacks of a card 'magic trick', rather than a pure Mentalism Plot - to my way of thinking anyway.

Just my view Jim - no offence intended mate.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”