Spirit bell

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Craig Busch

Spirit bell

Postby Craig Busch » January 17th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Curious to know some opinions on the best Spirit Bells around. The ones that look interesting to me are Dead Ringer, Wenger Spirit Bell, and the Ceasarial Spirit Bell.

Spellbinder

Re: Spirit bell

Postby Spellbinder » January 27th, 2013, 6:38 am

If you have enough electronics skills to build one of your own following directions for getting and assembling the parts, you might consider one of Jolyon Jenkin's two Spirit Bell plans. Worth learning how to do if you're into saving money by doing it yourself.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Mad_Hatter

Postby Mad_Hatter » February 2nd, 2013, 2:33 am

If you want to go the ungimmicked route Bill Montana has an effect called the Bell from Hell that uses a regular bell with the clapper out and psychology to ring only in the spectators mind.

magicvincent
Favorite Magician: Harry Blackstone Junior.

Postby magicvincent » October 16th, 2014, 9:55 pm

Dead Ringer, Wenger Spirit Bell, and the Ceasarial Spirit Bell all look good to me but I chose the Wenger Spirit bell for the following reasons. Animation. You can see the arm of the bell move clearly even from a great distance. So if a spectator is deaf or you are in a loud environment, the movement is highly visible. With Dead Ringer, the stem inside the bell seems to just jiggle around inside the bell a bit. I also read that you have to position it a certain way for it to work. With the Ceasar Bell, they say it's strength is that a person can hold the bell. The audience may suspect that the volunteer who is holding the bell is ringing it. You also do not see movement but just hear the bell ring. With the Wenger, you clearly see the swing arm and bell move and hear the bell ring. It also packs very flat and plays big and of course can be operated hands free. It can also knock an object over if placed beside it when activated. It also looks very very old and can withstand close examination. You can even place an artifact such as a neckless or any small object on the base to summon the spirit. The Departed also looks nice but two problems. You have to lug a big box around and it is not visible from all sides but just the front. The Wenger can be seen from all sides and is much more portable. Mine looks even older then the photos and video of it shows.
It also does not look like a regular bell and provides room for great stories.
But for me the best part is that you can show each part and put it together piece by piece right in front of the audience. Even an audience member can do it although I personally would not let them.
I have taken a look at the ones you mentioned. They look fine. Since I own the Wenger, I have no problem recommending it.
Work on a nice routine to get the most out of it.
Last edited by magicvincent on November 29th, 2014, 11:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.

fredreisz
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon

Postby fredreisz » October 17th, 2014, 3:42 am

Don't leave "the Departed" by Outlaw Effects I think out of the discussion. It looks good, You see things moving...a riffle ball and a bell....and it is in an open front box that seems unable to be gimmicked. I love mine (although at the moment it is not working!) Peace Fred (Reisz)
"The art of magic is the magic of art."

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » October 19th, 2014, 1:21 am

fredreisz wrote:I love mine (although at the moment it is not working!) Peace Fred (Reisz)

There's the best reason for building your own. Having built it yourself, you know how to repair it when needed.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

magicvincent

Postby magicvincent » October 28th, 2014, 3:40 pm

fredreisz wrote:Don't leave "the Departed" by Outlaw Effects I think out of the discussion. It looks good, You see things moving...a riffle ball and a bell....and it is in an open front box that seems unable to be gimmicked. I love mine (although at the moment it is not working!) Peace Fred (Reisz)

What is wrong with it?

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 28th, 2014, 5:04 pm

I liked the tomboli bell.

magicvincent

Postby magicvincent » January 25th, 2020, 7:55 am

There are many Spirit Bells available. The most important part of a Spirit Bell is the presentation. I involve other objects such as old cards or anything magical to add to the effect. However, do not buy anything from Nick Wenger. He took my money and did not deliver. I spent over $560.00 for a Spirit Bell that does not work. Buyer beware. I bought a Wenger Spirit Bell that is useless!
I recommend a Bell that has an antique look to it to add authenticity. Also, do not get a cheap one. There is one called the Don't Lie Spirit Bell. It looks like a toy from a Dollar Store. Not good. Come up with a good story and they can be the highlight of your Show. Yours truly, Magical Entertainer Vincent

magicvincent

Postby magicvincent » January 29th, 2020, 11:21 pm

The Wenger Spirit Bell is the worst piece. Nick Wenger ripped me off took my money and never delivered my Bell. Do not buy anything from Nick Wenger! Warning! Buyer Beware!

performer

Postby performer » January 29th, 2020, 11:42 pm

I think I would be very wary of purchasing stuff from magicians on the internet unless they are very established companies with a good track record. I read about this kind of thing all the time. I don't know whether it stems from outright fraud or merely business incompetence. I suspect the latter.

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » February 6th, 2021, 9:54 pm

My personal favorite Spirit Bell routine is my own "Santa's Magic Jingle Bell." No electronics to break down or make your toes cramp up.
https://www.magicnook.com/WizJ22/wizj22 ... leBell.htm Great for use with kids at Christmas time, but the same principle could also be included in the darkest séance parlor routine with an antique jingle bell from a Christmas long ago that is perhaps controlled by a child's spirit.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

scubadog
Favorite Magician: Copperfield

Postby scubadog » June 4th, 2021, 9:04 am

Spellbinder wrote:If you have enough electronics skills to build one of your own following directions for getting and assembling the parts, you might consider one of Jolyon Jenkin's two Spirit Bell plans. Worth learning how to do if you're into saving money by doing it yourself.

I’m building this right now. I have the electronics all done and it’s working great. I will be finishing it up tonight.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”