The Pulse Stop/Control Effect

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Robert LAMAR

The Pulse Stop/Control Effect

Postby Robert LAMAR » May 25th, 2012, 8:25 pm

Is anyone able to direct me to a source that would answer for me a question of an arcane nature. Specifically, does anyone know, or can anyone direct me to a source, that would provide historical background as to the origin of the Pulse Stop/Control Effect? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
"The power of thought is the MAGIC of the MIND." ~ Lord Byron

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Re: The Pulse Stop/Control Effect

Postby Joe Pecore » May 26th, 2012, 7:38 am

Bart Whaley's Encylopedic Dictionary of Magic says that it was a pet effect of Indian street magicians and described as early as 1918 in The Magical Record http://geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/Magical_Record and then by Goldston in his book Tricks of the Masters (1942).
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Robert LAMAR

Postby Robert LAMAR » May 26th, 2012, 5:04 pm

Thank you VERY much for providing me with this information! I really do appreciate that you took the time to look into my query and to give a response. I guess I'm going to have to expand my already fairly large library with Bart Whaley's Encylopedic Dictionary of Magic, something that I had an opportunity to purchase a few years back, but sadly, waited too long and lucked out.

Thanks again!

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 27th, 2012, 3:20 am

NY Herald July 10, 1880 p 2

Among his many guests during this period was Mr. Hermann, the prestidigitateur, who amused the company by many little tricks, the most remarkable of which was the power to stop his pulse at will, a trick that puzzled the doctors of every school, although they subsequently acknowledged that it was front the pressure on the artery of well trained muscles.

I wouldn't be surprised to find this effect in the repertoir of fake mediums well befor this date.

Robert LAMAR

Postby Robert LAMAR » May 27th, 2012, 6:01 pm

I tend to agree. I think this is an example of an effect's origins that far predates any written record of its existence. Thanks for your input, Bill! Much appreciated!

Allen Tipton

Postby Allen Tipton » August 12th, 2012, 10:14 am

Robert; You can get Bart's Encyclopedia of Magic as an e book from Chris Wsshuber-- Lybrary.com
The onky 2 places I have come across pulse stopping, except for the old ball or balled handkerchief in Boy's books of conjusring is: a. The Mind & Mentalism Of David Berglas b. 7 Secrets by Luke Jermay. Allen Tipton UK

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 12th, 2012, 11:31 am

Pulse Stopping is one of Berglas's most famous effects.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » August 12th, 2012, 1:33 pm

Allen Tipton wrote:The onky 2 places I have come across pulse stopping, except for the old ball or balled handkerchief in Boy's books of conjusring is: a. The Mind & Mentalism Of David Berglas b. 7 Secrets by Luke Jermay.

There are dozens of other references, both explanatory and descriptive. The earliest I have at hand of the latter is from a British book published prior to 1854, regarding pulse stopping as part of a more elaborate demonstration of fakirism witnessed in Runjesting, India in 1838.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”