For all you metal benders

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Adam Brooks

For all you metal benders

Postby Adam Brooks » May 29th, 2008, 7:12 am

Does anyone know if there's an extant technique for changing the concavity of the bowl of a spoon?

I'm thinking of this as an effect and not as a gaff construction.

If it doesn't exist, it sure should...

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: For all you metal benders

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 29th, 2008, 10:04 pm

Won't it simply appear as if you're looking at the spoon from the other side?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » May 30th, 2008, 12:32 am

I see your point, Richard, but most spoons have a bend in the handle just above the bowl so the reverse concavity Adam suggested would be pretty obvious.

JMD

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » June 5th, 2008, 7:52 am

the only thing i can think of, is tracking down a cuttlery maker, and ask them if they can supply some made in reverse.As far as i am aware, the bowl of a spoon ts created under pressure, by a hefty piece of machinery.

Rather than changing the bowl, see if you can get some spoons, before the bend is placed in the handle, and put it in yourself, the wrong way round.

Im guessing that the public wont notice this, untill you point it out. After all, they will be sitting there waiting for you to bend it, like everybody else does..
I hope this info is of help.

Dale

Arnon

Postby Arnon » June 6th, 2008, 10:55 pm

It might be easier to change the orientation of the handle rather than the concavity of the bowl.

Either the handle could bend into the reverse shape (perhaps some of those "memory metal strips") or it could rotate along its length with a joint (where the handle meets the bowl) that locks every 180 degree rotation.

Just brainstorming....

Arnon

M. Sibbernsen

Postby M. Sibbernsen » June 8th, 2008, 2:38 am

In January, on the German incarnation of Phenomenon, Uri Geller performed something very similar. Using his thumb, he pushed on the outer bowl of a spoon and caused it to dimple significantly inward. The force required was ostensibly great enough, that his thumbprint was even 'melted' or 'pressed' into the metal. An impressive display, and received a very nice response.

A well known U.S. Mentalist used to perform a similar feat, and did so on KTLA television and on Ellen (along with Queen Latifa) a few years back.

Michael

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”