Sense of Smell

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
JonP

Sense of Smell

Postby JonP » April 12th, 2008, 12:19 pm

I'm looking for an effect related to the sense of smell. I can see using variants of a number of standard effects including the hidden blade/nail type of thing but I can't come up with anything that would play as strongly as I would like. This is mostly in a corporate environment - audiences of 40 - 100 so it needs to play reasonably "large".

Any and all help welcome.

troublewit

Re: Sense of Smell

Postby troublewit » April 13th, 2008, 9:15 am

Alan Wakeling published a very nice routine using cotton balls and several "perfumes" in his "Magical Traveler" series in Genii magazine years back. It was reprinted in the newer "tribute" to Wakeling issue of Genii several months ago, (September 2007) where all of the "Traveler" routines were included. It was the "Arabia" segment.

Jim Steinmeyer has a routine called "The Five Senses" in his Conjouring Anthology p. 207, which is reminiscent of Corinda's Powers of Darkness and Slydini's Flight of the Paper Balls. This is also found in M A G I C magazine July 1997.

The Wakeling routine was written as a close-up routine, but can thoughtfully be presented as platform or even stage magic with proper blocking. The Steinmeyer routine is written as a platform/stage effect.
Hope this helps.

Christopher
Christopher Klocek
337 N Wood St
Griffith, In 46319
219-765-7123
troublewit@aol.com

JonP

Postby JonP » April 14th, 2008, 11:18 am

Thanks - I knew I'd read one somewhere. I wasn't that keen on the Wakeling routine at the time I read it but now that I have a framework in which I need an effect of that nature it may "gell" for me. The Steinmeyer routine too may lead me in the right direction - his stuff is always so beautifully thought out.

Jon

Naphtalia

Postby Naphtalia » April 14th, 2008, 4:02 pm

Morgan Strebler has also marketed an effect called "Taste Conditions" which you may be able to work with in which water changes to mouthwash in a spectator's mouth. Designed for a blind in-law, it utilizes the other senses well.
Naphtalia

Impropriety is the soul of wit.

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » April 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm

I have an effect called "The Seven Sided Herbal Tea Chest" in The Wizards' Journal #16 (on my site). It is a seven-sided "cube" and each of the sides is a door which opens to release a full load of seven different fragrant herbal teas. The tea leaves are passed around so everryone can sample the fragrances, and then the teas are collected into seven separate canisters. The finale is when the tea chest bursts open with a whistle of steam from a tea kettle, which is then used to pour out seven different tea cups filled with hot fragrant liquid tea.

The basic principles involved can also be used for other productions, not limited to teas. For example, you might produce seven different bottles of perfume, aftershave, or cologne... etc. You are not limited to just seven sides, either. You can increase the number of sides in a cube from 7 to 12, if you wish.

However, be forewarned, this is not something you just buy at a magic store and perform. It is an effect you build following the directions in the highly expensive e-book ($5).
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Lemniscate

Postby Lemniscate » April 16th, 2008, 9:06 pm

Jerome Finley has a something coming out/recently came out that might fit your criteria. I've been impressed to no end by his recent works and recommend them. Let me get details (unless somebody else has them) and get back to you.

Lem

JonP

Postby JonP » April 20th, 2008, 5:13 pm

I can't see anything on the web Lem - so if you find any details please let me know.

JonP

JonP

Postby JonP » April 20th, 2008, 5:17 pm

"Morgan Strebler has also marketed an effect called "Taste Conditions" ... in which water changes to mouthwash in a spectator's mouth..."

Thanks Naphtalia - I'm looking for something that will preferably involve more than one spectator in this case and needs to be "visible" - although I think this one might be useful in the future it doesn't fit this particular need.

Keith Raygor

Postby Keith Raygor » April 21st, 2008, 10:17 am

May I recommend the path that I took for an effect from my show:
It starts at the janitorial supply store, auditioning the scents of about 30 different aroma spray canisters for a choice offering. Delivery methods can include secret assistants, your big toe under a table, or timed dispensers such as those found in restaurants and restrooms (also available at the same store).

Once you've chosen a 'flavor', matching props can be found in craft stores or department stores. I hope this helps.
www.KeithTheMagician.com
www.TheMusicalMindreader.com

Lemniscate

Postby Lemniscate » April 24th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Hi JonP,

The effect I was referring to (had to do some hunting) is Into the Madhouse from Finley's Random Acts of Kindness (http://outlaw-effects.com/outlaweffects ... &Itemid=81). The use of the smell sense is touched on there and I have some additional ideas that have been playing really well with the premise (and others) so far. I can't really say too much about it because it is Jerome's work but if you pick up, let me know and we can touch bases. I will say the following: read lots of reviews before you decide to pick RAoK up. I think it's great but it is definitely not for everybody.

Lem

magicbar

Postby magicbar » May 20th, 2008, 7:29 pm

simply presentation ideas mind you....
when your nose is plugged many cannot discern taste in foods - but (magically) you can - may help if you are blindfolded too.

what about due to just your nose being plugged you can do the impossible and eat terrible foods that you 'cannot' taste (as a feat of superhuman ability)

How about being able to find your paycheck (a la Kreskin) due to the smell of the check versus those that are not your paycheck?

Arnon

Postby Arnon » May 24th, 2008, 3:40 am

Hi JonP:

Why not "super-size" Peter Nardi's "Common Scents"? See http://www.murphysmagic.com/Common-Scen ... ardi-Trick

For further details, feel free to PM me.

Arnon

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”