13 Steps Supplement

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Daniel

13 Steps Supplement

Postby Daniel » January 15th, 2006, 6:15 am

I was just browsing International Magic's site, and saw in the new arrivals section a "Thirteen Steps To Mentalism Supplement." As it is modestly priced, I took the plunge and ordered it, but I wondered whether anyone here can shed some light on what it contains and when it was written.

http://www.internationalmagic.com/acatalog/hgjg.html and scroll down a little.

Baph

Re: 13 Steps Supplement

Postby Baph » January 15th, 2006, 4:33 pm

Hi,

I have a copy of the supplement in front of me. It's 20 pages long, and the first 13 pages are a "history of Corinda & the 13 Steps" by Roy Sinclair. The other 9 pages list other effects, books etc by Corinda, and also a review of the Seance he did at the circle in 1958.

By far the most interesting part is probably the swipe at the Magic Cafe website, with reports of people like Berglas and Jon Tremaine claiming to have written 13 steps... and that it was widely known that Corinda was dead.

It's a nice addition, nearly 50 years after the original book, it rounds things off nicely.

jon/Baph
www.pentaclemagazine.org

Doug Dyment

Postby Doug Dyment » January 15th, 2006, 9:21 pm

baph noted:
... and that it was widely known that Corinda was dead.
I hope the "supplement" dispels that ridiculous notion. Tony continues to live near King's Lynn in England, though his current connection to the mentalism community is (to my knowledge) restricted to membership in but one organization.

... Doug (Deceptionary Proprietor - deceptionary.com)
... Doug :: Proprietor of The Deceptionary

Postby Guest » January 16th, 2006, 6:13 am

From what I've been told Tony actually contributed very little to this rather small boolet. It's an interesting read but nothing earth-shattering. :cool:

Baph

Postby Baph » January 16th, 2006, 8:53 pm

I agree that whilst he wrote little of it, it is definately written at his request. I had a few discussions with Martin MacMillan about it, and he said it's been mooted for a while, but finally get done last year.

So, Yes, Tony Corinda is still with us, happily playing chess in his local pub.

As a side note, I have in my possesion a set of photocopies of the diaries of Doreen Valiente. She worked with Gerald Gardner to popularise Wicca as a religion in the 1950's. Corinda's name is mentioned as belonging to a Coven... seems that he had more than a passing interest in Bizarre magic<G>

Jon/Baph
www.pentaclemagazine.org

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”