UPSILON book by Paolo Cavalli

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

UPSILON book by Paolo Cavalli

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2004, 3:10 am

There is a new book coming out by Paolo Cavalli... he is a hidden treasure in the world of mentalism. This is what Ted Leon had to say about the manuscript:

Radarama:
A very nice version of Just think of one of these cards as it passes by your eyes
performed with two or more participants.
Sound reasoning is put behind this presentation and (depending on your acting
skills) could be squeaky clean. Can be done with any deck but requires some set up.

Psychometrack:
VERY clever use of the Tarot. If the performer has good cold reading skills, this
routine would be remembered for the rest of the participants life.
A good reader could make a reputation with this effect alone.
As is pointed out in the manuscript, this is not your classic Who Has What Psychometry routine. This could be MUCH stronger in the right hands.
In the wrong hands, it has no climax and would fall short of the mark.

Patetogy:
Very reminiscent of Mark Striving Warm and Fuzzys which Liz and I carry with
us at all times just in case we need a close up routine that connects two people.
Our method is different than the one described in the Paolos manuscript.
Patetogy would be good in that context also, although its presented to show how a single person can intuitively find a preselected number from an group of unknown choices.
I enjoyed the use of the two great methods to pull off this RUSE. (Those who read the manuscript will get the pun)
My favorite thing about Paolos variation on the PATEO force is the use of the participant to have the final decision. Im a big fan of this particular final technique.

Kormonition:
A different, workable and bold variation of Eddie Josephs Premonition.......Better ?

Booplication:
A good routine using four different books and four participants. Not the usual book test. Has similarity to Larry Beckers use a dictionary to cap off a revelation/prediction. Like others,
I enjoyed the inclusion of a picture duplication. Good presentation could make this a very interesting and, more importantly, an entertaining piece.

Prophetriter:
I was initially drawn to this effect because it involved a Brunette Lady. For those that know me or have seen us, youll know why I would say that!

This effects involves a wonderful premise...................
Some of our best thoughts come to us during, or around our sleep. We should write them down....we usually dont!
Paolo came up with a routine that allows some business cards, that have been in view the whole time, to reveal that he, indeed, wrote four predictions that are correct.....one of them a headline prediction.

I am in love with the POTENTIAL of this effect.

The whole effect relies on a time honored and proven method. Three of the four predictions require a leap of faith to be accepted.

I would have loved to have the business cards already in the possession of the events organizer and brought the stage as in a regular headline prediction. (This can be done and Ill talk it over with Paolo). This would put the effect into the miracle range.

Have I yet said that I love the premise of this effect?

Twicerpiece:
This is a double revelation of a chosen card and a participants written thought. It could be played out in a few ways, all with good impact.
The best thing however in this effect is Paolos marvelous impression device using an ordinary
Post-It note pad. Even though there is no carbon, or NCR paper used, it reminds me somewhat of Allen Zinggs Son of Mind Scan.
This is a very useful idea with great potential.

Trisoteric:
This is described as a useful tool. It is basically a card on which some symbols are drawn while discussing their significance and their meaning through the ages. Paolos descriptions of the symbols are wonderful and leave a lot of room for drama and theater. The end result is a card which forces the participant to write information on certain areas of it, to be used for peeks, tears, forces, or a combination of all three.
This is a great impromptu device for a three phase routine.
Again, good thinking!

Pendulumix:
Ive never done a pendulum routine in my life. Keep that in mind as I review the following....

Experiment #1 is using the pendulum to find a location on a map that is only known to the participant.
Using what is called a Witness Pendulum (thanks for the education Paolo!), a VERY logical reason is given to tear up a piece of paper on which the participant wrote her thought as a small piece of the paper must be inserted into this particular type of pendulum to give witness to better atune the pendulum.

Experiment #2 shows the pendulum finding a single word chosen from a choice of magazines. The word and the magazine are truly free choices. There is some clever pre show involved and a mildly bold method employed, useful for many other routines.
The pendulum swings over previously written letters and numbers to spell the selected word.
Sounds impressive. Probably is!
This is one of those things where I like the method better than the trick!

Experiment #3 sets five empty clear glasses and five small laminated cards together. There is one picture on each card. Water, wine, milk, orange juice, or POISON.
Each card is placed into one of the glasses and covered with a silk. The participant is allowed to mix the glasses while the mentalist back is turned and nobody could possibly know which glass contains the poison.
The pendulum is able to discern the toxic substance.
Three different methods are described to pull of this stunt, none of which are as clean as the first two experiments.

Odds & Ends, Bits & Pieces, Miscellanea:
The first thing discussed are Paolos views on pre-show work. Here he gives another method for a book test that is very good. Some have seen this method described before. Paolos views on it are worth reading.
In this section he talks about pencil/sound reading, items most commonly drawn by participants and related tips.
Next is presented a well thought out, basically impromptu effect which allows the mentalist to describe a deeply emotional and personal event that happened to the person getting the reading. Simple methods, big effect. George Anderson would be proud. As a bonus, the effect leaves the participant with your business card.
Up comes some words on nail/thumb writing and an idea for a routine using the sense of smell and another using the sense of sight.
This section also includes some history on a famous Italian Psychic Gustavo Rol.
He also teaches the basic Acidus Novus.

Well, there you have it.
Ive spent more on many E-Books and received ALOT less.
A good effort and recommended.

Okay, we are helping Paolo sell his brilliant book UPSILON so for those that want to buy it, whether hard copy or e-book, go to www.artfulmagic.com and hit the blue button marked "Click here to buy UPSILON"
You will be able to use PayPal to buy either the hard copy or e-book or you can mail a check to Artful Magic.
Please be aware that we are only collecting the money for Paolo and we are not in charge of shipping the books or sending you the download. Every time a purchase is made we will send all the information to Paolo and he will take care of sending out the copies or contacting you on your email for the downloads. When purchasing make sure you include all your information such as address and email address so we can then send them to Paolo.
For those that buy the book you will be very happy when you read the beautiful routines inside. This is a book full of golden ideas.
Greg

Re: UPSILON book by Paolo Cavalli

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2004, 8:25 pm

Hi Greg,

Sounds really promising... Checking it out now.

Thanks,

Nakul

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2004, 8:30 pm

Nakul, you will not be dissappointed. There are some excellent ideas in there. It's got me thinking about pendulums and his simple idea for the PATEO force takes it to another level.
And I can't overstate the fact that he is giving you more than just nine effects... there is so much more in here.
Greg

Ted Leon

Postby Ted Leon » January 28th, 2004, 10:20 am

I was not asked to have a copy of my review of UPSILON reproduced here on the Genii board, however, if Greg would have asked I would have cheerfully given it to him to post.

To be complete I must say that the opening remark was omitted and it read:

"Paolo was kind enough to send me his E-book, UPSILON. It contains 66 pages and excellent graphics where needed. Here are my initial thoughts............."

It's a small point, but to me, significant.
Ted (Leondo)

Postby Guest » January 28th, 2004, 12:30 pm

Ted, I'm very sorry. I had a bunch of quotes and remarks from Paolo and I thought they were okay to use. I apologize for not having asked in advance. If you'd like I'll gladly remove them.

Also, I want to thank all the guys that are buying this great book. I also have to remind everyone that Paolo is putting out only a limited quantity so I'm trying to keep track. As soon as the quota has been reached I'll stop the PayPal, but it might not be timed right so I'll post on the boards first when we get close to the limit.
Greg

Postby Guest » January 28th, 2004, 12:40 pm

In the meantime, these are some quotes that I know have been okayed:

I found Radarama to be very interesting and thought stimulating. It is really well thought out and I appreciate it very much. I was quite impressed with your variation on the PATEO process. I like the ideas in the book test and the misdirection on Prophetic Dreams (Prophetriter) is excellent!
RICHARD OSTERLIND

I like your reasoning in your book test presentation, especially the 'Does that word mean something special...' part. Good thinking! Your Psychometrack effect is excellent. However knowing how little effort many people actually invest in their craft, that routine is likely to remain "hidden in print" for all but a dedicated few.
LEE EARLE

In my opinion, each routine in this book is a little masterpiece, crafted in every detail, limiting to the bare essential the need for sleight of hands and maintaining the performance free from empty moments.
TONY BINARELLI

Greg

Ted Leon

Postby Ted Leon » January 28th, 2004, 12:54 pm

Greg,
As I said, it's a small point.

You are more than welcome to use any of my quotes regarding UPSILON in any way you see fit.

Fraternally,
Ted (Leondo)

Postby Guest » January 28th, 2004, 1:25 pm

Thank you, Ted. And, once again, sorry for the initial mistake.
Greg

Kim

Postby Kim » January 29th, 2004, 9:31 am

"Also, I want to thank all the guys that are buying this great book. I also have to remind everyone that Paolo is putting out only a limited quantity so I'm trying to keep track. As soon as the quota has been reached I'll stop the PayPal, but it might not be timed right so I'll post on the boards first when we get close to the limit.
Greg "
And what is this quota?
Kim

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2004, 9:00 pm

Kim, I believe he is only going to sell 200 copies. Sorry about the delay in answering, but now I'm having jury duty and this weekend I'm shooting a video. I'll try to keep up with things.
Greg

Kim

Postby Kim » January 30th, 2004, 5:28 am

Greg,
Thanks for the answer.As you know,I have purchased the ebook version. I ordered it before I went to bed and the download was there when I woke up. I have not had time to do anything more than skim it so far,but it looks like I am going to enjoy it.
Kim

Postby Guest » February 1st, 2004, 7:52 am

Hi Greg,

Received the UPSILON document today...

And to put it in the fewest of words: Simply loved it!

To those still making up their minds on this one... Here's my two paise worth:

Loads of highly workable stuff packed into these 65 pages... Really Worth it.

Thanks again Greg for the tip-off...

Nakul

Postby Guest » February 2nd, 2004, 8:43 am

So far there's been nothing, but great responses to Paolo's book. Some say that if you get even one idea or effect from a book then it's worth it... well, I'm of that thinking and I've gotten several ideas from this book.
I've been amazed over the years of some books that I have bought that were very expensive and filled with pages & pages of effects and ended up either not liking any or not having any suit my style. Then comes a small book or pamphlet that seems to meet all my needs and more. Paolo's book is one of these mysteries... a small amount of pages yet filled with great and useable ideas.
Maybe I should only buy books that are a hundred pages or less? :D
Greg

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”