Books and Book packages. Selling some duplicates

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Brad Henderson

Books and Book packages. Selling some duplicates

Postby Brad Henderson » September 9th, 2020, 9:57 pm

Here are some duplicates from my library.

Clearing out duplicate copies. Titles available individually or as part of these curated sets.

Dusheck Coin Magic and Dusheck Card Magic – Steve Dusheck was a very clever American inventor who created such masterpieces as Wunderbar, the Slippery Sam gimmick, and one of the most clever versions of Ring Flight extant. Here are two of the more sought after volumes from his now hard to find series on Magic. In trying to fill out my set I ended up buying these duplicates. Still shrink wrapped. $30 each or both for $40.

History texts

The Illustrated History of Magic and The Panorama of Magic by Milbourne Christopher and Gibeciere by the Conjuring Arts Research Center - The most successful magicians know their history. It’s easier to move forward once you know where we have been. These two classic texts cover magic from its earliest days down through the start of the television era. While modern scholarship has cast some doubt on the ancient magic stories these two texts have long been considered key sources for our art’s history.

Gibeciere is the biannual journal of magic history produced by Bill Kalush and Stephen Minch through the Conjuring Arts Research Center. I firmly believe Gibeciere offers the greatest value of any product offered in magic today. It is the only thing we have ever had to a real scholarly journal of magic as an art form. Not only is each issue beautifully produced, every issue offers at least two or three utterly fascinating explorations of a wide variety of magical/historical concepts. This issue has a fascinating paper on a not so well known magic book, but goes far in debunking the many claims made in it – casting doubt on our accept mythology of the magician as religiously persecuted artists. There is a reprint of the Hugard letters and a piece by Ricky Jay. $40 for the lot.

Showtime at the Tom Foolery – This now hard to find text presents and explains the entirety of Tom’s legendary show. Kaufman even goes so far as to provide time stamps to convey a sense of timing to the reader. Not only is this is a great testament text to Tom, the material on here is really great too! Some signed copies have been selling in excess of several hundred dollars! Here’s a chance to get a great book at a great price. $80

A Boon for All Seasons by Barrie Richardson – a classic text on one of mentalism’s most powerful tools. Barrie was dear friends with Eric Mason the inventor of the Boon writer. This is THE manuscript on this unique style of thumb writer. If you are a mentalist, this book should be in your library. $20

RARE Harry Anderson lecture notes from 1979. Own a piece of magic history with these rare notes from “Anderson Illusion” – Harry and Leslie. Never seen another copy. Perfect for Harry Anderson fans. $40

Magical Classics

Secrets of Stage Conjuring by Robert-Houdin is widely considered to be one of the greatest books ever written on the art of Stage Magic, few books better capture the actual practice of magic in the mid/late 1800’s. Not only will you learn some amazing tricks, Robert-Houdin’s insights on performance are as true today as they were when they were written. Vintage copies sell for several hundred dollars when they become available. I believe this reprint was done by Magico, but there is no notation in the book. $45

The Modern Conjurer by C Lang Neil was one of the first to be heavily photographically illustrated, featuring Mdme Patrice and Charles Bertram. This is the first place where the legendary Bertram pass was published, a truly invisible pass in the hands of greats like Bob White and his student Jared Kopf. Magic of all types from close up to stage to novelty acts like Troublewit and hand shadows. Raymond Crowe has toured the world with the material taught in these pages. The true first edition famously has the author’s name misspelled on the cover. This is a reprint, but still several decades old and in good shape especially for its age. $60 Get them together for $80.

BIZARRE MAGIC – a collection of Tony Shiels WITH bonus.

Tony was a real wizard. He was a feature of English tabloids, creating controversy with the outlandish artistic gestures such as convening a round table summit of Britain’s most notorious cryptozoological specimens and publishing scandalous photographs of his adult daughters performing sky clad Pagan rituals. He is one of (if not THE) elder statesmen of Bizarre magic.

Daemons, Darlings and Doppelgangers and Thirteen! are two classic Shiels texts presenting demonstrations of blood curdling occult and Lovecraftian influenced mysteries. These are tricks. These are brushes with powers of occult and frightful powers. Also is the legendary Shiels Effect, a theoretical treatise on the art of becoming a modern shaman/wizard/miracle worker. Don’t brush this off as hyperbole. Shiels makes a case for this type of performance art, and we can point to both Geller and Blaine as examples of those who realized these concepts in practice. An important and subversive book of magic theory. Finally, I will happily throw in a fun Ken DeCourcy Bizarre manuscript called The Blood Feast of the Sun and provide a bit of a price break if someone gets the set (preferred). Shiels Effect (1st edition) $60. Deamons ($30) Thirteen ($20) Decourcy ($20). Buy them all for $100.

Magical Ways and Means by Al Baker. Can’t afford or can’t find a copy of the Miracle Factory collection of Baker’s work but want to enjoy some of his amazing thinking – why not start with one of his signature texts. Al Baker was a great generalist of magic. He could do it all and (by all accounts) everything he did was practical, commercial, and really great. This 2nd edition book is a great way to start an antique magic book collection and the material can be a great boon for those interested in more practical matters. Eugene Burger was a big fan of Baker’s work and developed a lot of his own repertoire from Baker’s ideas. The book itself is in good shape, but not great shape. My emotions want me to price it at $60 but I’d rather it go to a good home and given the condition I think $40 may help that happen.

Party Magic from the Magic Castle by Leo Behnke – What a fun book! A collection of simple tricks perfect for raw beginners and even more experienced magicians. A great addition to any fan of The Magic Castle $15

Arcane Magazines – 3 Issues. Jeff Busby was a polarizing individual; but say what you want about him personally, he knew great magic and was responsible for some really high end, cutting edge magic making its way into print. Not only did he publish several titles sold though his store, he started several subscription projects and offered installments of periodical like titles to those who were regular customers. Arcane was a magazine of sorts that showcased some of the best ideas from some of the best minds of its day. Here are three very hard to find issues. One issue has reviewers stamp on cover. Real clever ideas in each. $20 each or $50 for the set.

Postage not included. Let me know preferred speed - media, first class, or priority and I will send estimate.

Brad Henderson
1907 west pflugerville parkway
Round rock tx 78664
5123021956themind show at Gmail dotcom

James
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: Books and Book packages. Selling some duplicates

Postby James » September 10th, 2020, 12:25 pm

Brad, can you list the issue numbers of Arcane you’re selling? Thanks.

rrhill
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby rrhill » September 10th, 2020, 12:48 pm

How many Gibeciere in the lot?
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Arthur C. Clarke

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » September 10th, 2020, 2:23 pm

James. Sorry. I forgot there were no pictures! I have 11. 12, and 13.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » September 10th, 2020, 2:24 pm

RRHILL - it’s one issue. Winter 2012. Ended up with a second copy!

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » September 10th, 2020, 2:25 pm

Still available. Christopher. gibecerie. Baker. Arcane. Behnke magic castle book.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”