Svengali pitch course

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
performer

Svengali pitch course

Postby performer » May 6th, 2018, 3:38 pm

I have decided to exert myself to try and get some money out of you all which I am quite sure is an impossible task. This has all come about because of Joe McKay starting a topic on the svengali deck. Of course he (or perhaps it was his mother) was silly enough to buy one from me when he was a child.

There appears to be some regulation here about placing my name and address here despite the fact that people have been looking for me all over the world for decades for some wickedness or other during my nefarious lifetime. Well, let me get that out of the way if I can remember what the hell it is. I am getting old after all.

Mark Lewis
Box 232
123 Queen Street West
Toronto ON M5H 3M9
Canada

(416) 927 7446 email lewis086@sympatico.ca

I am quite exhausted after all that so I am going to rest before giving you the details.

performer

Re: Svengali pitch course

Postby performer » May 6th, 2018, 3:41 pm

I have a set of 3 DVDs for sale on the pitch game. And specifically about pitching Svengali decks and other magic. The DVDs are each 90 minutes in length. I will "come to the bat" later (UK grafter's expression for what Americans call "the turn") but for now read this review by Noland Montgomery who though not a pitchman is an experienced busker which is the next best thing. And then after that I will make another post explaining my special offer. I shall have to make another post otherwise this one will be as long as the Encyclopedia Brittania.
......................................................................................................

I just finished viewing Mark Lewis’s three disc DVD set, “The Art of the Pitch,” in which Mark Lewis, a pitchman (and magician) who has supported himself over many years in part from pitching Svengali decks and other tricks, shows you how it’s done. The DVDs include ninety minutes of actual performance footage at an amusement park and then a flea market, in which Mark continuously pitches his products to a succession of audiences. At the amusement park, for example, Mark pitches a package that includes an animated worm (operated by a thread), a version of the three-card monte called the “Dutch Looper,” and the Svengali Deck. In some of his other pitches, he substitutes an animated mouse called Marmaduke for the worm, but includes the same monte and Svengali deck plus a version of the paddles. Elsewhere, Mark also demonstrates his handling of a simple cup-and-ball routine, using the cheap little plastic cups that sell for a couple of bucks.

While Mark does take you step by step through the handling of each prop, the routines are more than just a collection of magic tricks—they constitute the interlocking parts of a carefully structured sales pitch, complete with all of Mark’s carefully crafted sales lines, the equivalent of a busker’s “hat lines.” Because there are multiple takes of the entire pitch in front of different groups, you have the opportunity to see how Mark handles different prospects in different situations, extending the pitch in certain cases, and generally interacting with and manipulating his audience into making purchases. If you are interested in learning how to pitch, I don’t think you could do better than to buy and study Mark’s set of DVDs.

I bought the DVD’s because I was interested in finding out more about this field even though I wasn’t specifically interested in becoming a pitchman. I was pleasantly surprised, however, to discover that Mark’s pitches are a lot of fun to watch. His monte and Svengali deck performances are very strong pieces of magic in their own right, which some magicians may wish to add to their magic repertoires. And Mark’s banter is very entertaining. In fact, I wrote down a number of his one-liners, even though I’ve heard some before, because they fit his material and presentation so well and gave me ideas for use in some of my own routines. Unsurprisingly to me, having followed Mark’s writings on magic blogs and publications over the years, Mark’s pitchman persona is that of a curmudgeon, and is very funny.

In DVD reviews, one is expected to comment on the production quality of a DVD. This has never been a big issue for me—I’m much more interested in the content of the DVD than how slickly it’s produced. In the interest of full disclosure, however, I have to say that the DVD’s have not been shot, edited and packaged as nicely as, say, an L&L Publishing DVD. But the material is excellent, and the value is terrific. In short, I strongly recommend the DVD’s if you are interested in learning to pitch, or just learn more about the field, or simply in being entertained by the performanc

performer

Postby performer » May 6th, 2018, 3:48 pm

OK. Now I have a special deal to offer. First the set of three ninety minute DVDs described in my last post. Explanations of the Svengali deck, the worm, the Dutch Looper, the mouse and the cups and sponges trick are given in much detail. These are the strongest magic pitch items. Most important of all I describe how to deprive the punters of their money and put it in your pocket instead of theirs. I am rather good at this, you know, as well I should be after 50 years of doing it.

I have sold 400 decks a day at Christmas in five different countries. This is big league stuff and a leap up from the flea market mentality.

Now as part of the deal I will include FREE my Long and the Short of It book on the Svengali deck which is the finest book on the Svengali deck in existence and not only that describes the greatest Svengali routine of all time.

But not only that I will also include FREE my most wondrous book on Marmaduke the Wonder Mouse and include a free mouse. This is a wonderful pitch item and makes a good "lump up"item. And if you don't know what a "lump up" is then you DEFINITELY need to take advantage of this offer. It means you need to step beyond the "mushroom" status and the very fact that you might not know what a "mushroom" is means that you ARE one!

Nothing wrong with being a mushroom of course and in fact there is a wonderful disease called "mushroomitis" which helps you to take in more money than normal. However, this is a short term strategy and should not be a long term objective.

I also include in the package a top secret manuscript not obtainable anywhere else explaining the mechanics of the Dutch Looper which is a FAR superior pitch item than the rather silly two card monte that is often used by American magic pitchmen.
In fact it has always been a staple of fairground operators for decades.

Now how much do I want for the whole jolly lot? (Oh and "whole jolly lot" is a phrase every British grafter learns at birth)

A mere $100 (US). You can pay by paypal. Oh, and $20 shipping within North America. Overseas I haver no idea. For now I will say $25. If by chance you already own one or two of the items listed please let me know and I will adjust the price accordingly and send you the rest. This offer is not on my website although I can be contacted there. www.marklewisentertainment.com Or simply email to lewis086@sympatico.ca

Here a couple of edited clips from the DVD course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxwujHN0w7s

The second one shows my philosophy in these matters. I urge you to watch it to the very end. Some people found it funny, particularly those who understand the grafter's mentality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCkXktFnUtw

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » January 18th, 2023, 1:09 pm

I rather think it is incumbent upon me to update the price above which has now doubled for four reasons. It is no longer $100 but $200.
Here are the reasons

1. Sheer greed
2. You didn't buy anything the last time so it serves you all right for not taking advantage of my generosity when you had the chance.
3. It is now 2023 and you have to expect price rises since 2018. Five years is a long time.
4. The REAL reason that the original offer was so cheap is no longer an issue. The original price for the DVDS was $50 per DVD and that is the price they should have been sold for. After all this is a product which can earn you thousands upon thousands of dollars. However, I was inhibited from doing so since other sources were selling my DVDs online for very silly cheap prices. Therefore the only way I could get around this was to offer the deal in the post above.

However, I put a psychic hex on the above mentioned vendors and those cheap versions are now no longer on the market as a result of my metaphysical activities. I am therefore free to charge what the price should have been all along. However, you are still getting a bargain at $200 when you consider the amount of revenue that can be earned. And I won't charge shipping this time. Of course since nobody purchased anything the last time I don't expect they will this time either now that the price has doubled. Not that I particularly care. I just want you all to see what you have been missing. Serves you all right for not getting your money out the first time.......................

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”