Looking for trick

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Bill Reader

Looking for trick

Postby Bill Reader » May 2nd, 2018, 9:21 pm

Looking for TOMMY'S TIES' BY SUPREME MAGIC COMPANY either a yellow or red bowtie thanks, please email billreader@yahoo.com

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Re: Looking for trick

Postby Q. Kumber » May 3rd, 2018, 12:57 pm

Sadly I don't have any Tommy's Tie effects. I had about six sets, having been strongly advised by my mentor, Eric Sharp to have spares of every trick I used regularly. I haven't used a rabbit in my shows for about sixteen years, so no longer needed them.

The trick is based on Can You Tie It from John Booth's Marvels of Mystery. The Supreme version came out in the 50's or 60's.

The effect of Tommy's Tie is that the plaque shows Tommy with no tie. It is covered with a cloth. Another plaque is shown with four (real) different coloured bow ties. These are dropped into a flat change bag and the appropriate colour forced and then vanished. Tommy is turned around and seen to be wearing the vanished tie.

Eric Sharp pointed out to me that the climax of the trick is obvious once the tie is chosen and vanished. To add surprise and at the suggestion of his friend Tony Green, Tommy was found with a tie but it was the wrong colour. Of course the children point this out and eventually you agree the trick has gone wrong. Removing the plaque that had displayed the bowties a live rabbit is seen, who fortunately is wearing the correct coloured tie.

Basically the plaque was attached to the side of a container that held a Netherland Dwarf rabbit wearing the right colour tie..

The fun this presentation generated was enormous. I'd always make sure to apparently not notice which tie was selected (making sure it was the one I wanted forced), especially when visiting magicians were at my show. When the wrong colour appeared and the children pointed it out, I'd pretend they were acting up and eventually check with the adults watching, who of course confirmed what the kiddies said. Then I'd become irritated that I was doing a trick that didn't work, and remove the plaque revealing the rabbit, which, of course I didn't see at first, then when I lift him up, he's saved the show as we find the tie.

It was one heck of a fun routine with lots of extra surprises.

Bill, I hope you find a Tommy's Tie, and if you use a rabbit, I hope the above ideas will prove useful.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”