B'Wave

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
P.T.Widdle

B'Wave

Postby P.T.Widdle » August 11th, 2014, 4:24 pm

I am looking for either of the following:

B'Wave Joker blue-backs with hearts/diamond queen

or

B'Wave Joker red-backs with spade/club queen

Please PM if you have either one of these B'Wave configurations to sell.

Thanks!

Brad Henderson

Re: B'Wave

Postby Brad Henderson » August 11th, 2014, 4:28 pm

I thought all b'waves came with blank cards, not jokers.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 11th, 2014, 4:58 pm

I think people are selling lots of variations (some very slight) and wouldn't be surprised to hear that they're being offered with Jokers instead of blank cards.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Gordon Meyer

Postby Gordon Meyer » August 11th, 2014, 5:33 pm

Sadly, there are "B'Wave refill sets" on the market that come with Jokers. They also don't include instructions. And, I presume, no financial arrangement with Maven or Minch.

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » August 11th, 2014, 7:33 pm

The two sets I own have instructions from Phil Goldstein, so I would hope they came from him, but I'm not sure.

If the original uses blanks then that would be fine as well, as long as I could have two same-color backed sets, one with red queens and one with blacks. The reason being, and I'm sure this is not a new idea, is that when I do the trick for walkaround groups, the spectators can later relate how a variety of queens were found, from the same color cards not just two.

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » August 11th, 2014, 7:59 pm

Any set using jokers rather than blanks is not an authorized "B'wave" packet.

John Bannon's "Twisted Sister," a variant that was authorized, did use jokers -- so perhaps someone split up TS sets and sold them as "B'wave" sets for increased profits.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » August 11th, 2014, 8:25 pm

P.T.Widdle wrote:The two sets I own have instructions from Phil Goldstein, so I would hope they came from him, but I'm not sure.

If the original uses blanks then that would be fine as well, as long as I could have two same-color backed sets, one with red queens and one with blacks. The reason being, and I'm sure this is not a new idea, is that when I do the trick for walkaround groups, the spectators can later relate how a variety of queens were found, from the same color cards not just two.

I'm confused Mr. Widdle--How can the spectators remember a variety of queens in the packet if only one queen is used for this effect. Admittedly, she isn't as innocent as Ann Boleyn was. Maybe you're describing Twisted Sisters?

Russ

Postby Russ » August 11th, 2014, 8:58 pm

I simply love this effect. I have put in the hours of study that it really needs for years now. Here is just one thing that I always do and say when the climax happens: " it just goes to show how amazing the human mind works. The lady over there chose the queen of ---. We are all kind of guided by our instincts and that's cool. "

I name the opposite color queen as I casually head nod towards another table and just move on. This is not to suggest to you to not carry another set with you. But if you don't have one, use this as I am sure others have thought of. This effect by Max is a beautiful mind bend. It should be treated with such so that every action and word sells it to the Max. -------pun intended

Russ Raven Polizzi
Russ Polizzi

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » August 11th, 2014, 9:25 pm

I wasn't aware the original authorized version uses blanks. The instructions made it look like it was Maven's version. I fully support purchasing the original product.

As Russ pointed out, the reason I would like to have two sets is if people at different tables talk to each other later about the effect, the same two queens won't keep coming up.
I like Russ's approach if only one set if available, but I thought I'd inquire to see if two sets existed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like they don't. You can either buy a blue-backed set with red queens or a red-backed set with black queens.

With adult spectators, I don't think two sets is really necessary, but I will be performing this effect for....drumroll....teenagers at school lunch tables. The extra set would give me just a little edge for that crowd.

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » August 12th, 2014, 5:58 am

P.T., If you do plan on switching sets as you move around, and if people do follow you, which I doubt, your biggest problem will be remembering which set is which. At first it won't matter but towards the end of a two or three hour gig, your concentration may well lapse.

Here's a couple of examples. I love Eugene Burger's Thought Sender Deck which shows a black (club or spade) playing card with a red back in an otherwise blue backed deck - while the audience assumes you are using a red-backed deck. I like to immediately follow that effect with Kolossal Killer. I use a lady for Thought Sender and a man for Killer. He gets to name a red (heart or diamond) card which is found in the wallet.

I found in performance that I was getting confused. The red deck was to reveal a black card and the black wallet revealed a red card. So I remade the red deck to reveal a red card and the black wallet to reveal a black card.

I know that sounds very simple and you'd wonder how you could make a mistake but in the heat of performance where your wording has to be precise but still vary depending on the response from the participant, any hesitation on your part will kill the effect.

Second example is Tommy Wonder's Tamed Card. You have four sets of cards that will change and you have to set the deck at each performance so a different card will appear on the next performance and the wallets have to be put away in a specific sequence. Sounds complicated but is in fact very simple. However in adding the routine to my repertoire I was terrified that I would forget to cut the deck to reset for the next performance or take out the wrong wallet. Solution: I simply use the same set over and over. If someone follows me to another group, I will simply do a different routine.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 12th, 2014, 8:56 am

I don't think there is an issue with people knowing that one of two cards are the ones always revealed. ask yourself, what is happening? if the trick is that you can influence the spectator to name the one reversed card, then why would you need any other card but one? if the trick is that the spectator has the psychic ability
to know the reversed card, then why would you need more than one?
in either of those cases the issue you might encounter if people watch multiple performances is discovering the descrepency in the handling depending on their verbal responses. if anything, more than one card ever showing up would be a weakness.

now if the trick you are presenting is one of 'name a random card and I will turn it face up, change it's back, and then make all the other cards disappear' then yes using the same card might be problematic. But that's not the way I have ever presented it so it's never been an issue

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 12th, 2014, 9:22 am

Whose is the item where you have the four card packet in an envelope and can show any suit at the odd colored reversed card in the packet (but no blank faces to finish)?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » August 12th, 2014, 10:22 am

Brad, neither of your two descriptions of the effect is how I interpret the instructions for the trick. I don't see it as finding any random card, nor do I see it as influencing a spectator to pick a specific card. Rather, I see it as a magical coincidence that a spectator's free choice of four queens becomes reality.

Again, I'm not concerned with spectators following me. It's what they say to each other afterwards. Like I said, not crucial for adults but maybe a little insurance for teenagers.

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » August 12th, 2014, 10:52 am

There is no stronger test of material than performing for teenagers, especially Jewish teenagers, the latter being particularly perceptive for some reason.

They will give a running commentary, which will throw your timing somewhat, but if you have flaws, they will spot them. Be grateful because now you know what politer people think but do not vocalise. Reworking your routine to take the comments into account will make it stronger.

Consider performing for teenagers as the practical application of the opening chapter of Tamariz' The Magic Way.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 12th, 2014, 11:36 am

Q. Kumber wrote:There is no stronger test of material than performing for teenagers, especially Jewish teenagers, the latter being particularly perceptive for some reason...

agreed that teenagers in their cohort can offer useful feedback.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 12th, 2014, 12:59 pm

I just spent my 25th summer performing for thousands of Jewish teenagers.

personally, I find them one of the easiest audiences to work for. They love me. I love them. More importantly they have tremendous respect for magic performed intelligently and well.

I am confused how a coincidental choice becomes reality. a coincidence would suggest the card was reversed the entire time. if a choice is becoming reality then the choice is not coincident, it is random.

Eugene burger taught me his script and handling at the time the effect was first released. I have no idea what the instructions say. i do know that your concern is a non issue with the handling/presentation per burger.

my advice on working for teens is to not play down to them. Gags do not work. Treat what you do with respect and they will too. Show them things they have not seen before, and if you show them things they have seen before make sure they have never seen them done better.

Your magic must be deceptive. If it does not fool you will have failed as a magician. You must of course go beyond mere deception, but without that first step you will get no further.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » August 12th, 2014, 7:03 pm

For a complementary effect where the named Queen is the only Queen NOT there, see:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S12671

To totally confuse audiences, in a walkaround, alternate "B'Wave" with "Alice's Revenge." Later, when the audience members compare notes they'll argue about what they saw.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 12th, 2014, 7:16 pm

Gordon beam and David regal had something once where any queen could be named, if I recall correctly.

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » August 12th, 2014, 7:30 pm

David Regal has Off With His Head.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S8791

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 12th, 2014, 8:18 pm

I was thinking of entourage. http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S6225

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”