The Magic of Alan Wakeling

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
David Mitchell

The Magic of Alan Wakeling

Postby David Mitchell » December 21st, 2013, 10:50 am

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but since it's about collecting I thought it might be.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Magic-Alan-Wa ... 0786718072

Can anyone explain the prices for these books? It doesn't make sense, especially the paperback version.

David Mitchell
David Mitchell

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: The Magic of Alan Wakeling

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 21st, 2013, 11:24 am

They are out of print, I guess, and the people who are selling them are greedy and think they're worth a lot of money.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » December 21st, 2013, 12:34 pm

Greed is the correct word for this. I remember when they were remaindered out. I have several copies at nothing even remotely close to those prices.

Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 21st, 2013, 1:14 pm

The publisher, Carroll & Graf, went out of business.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » December 21st, 2013, 3:06 pm

As Herman Munster would say on the slot machine "I'm rich, I'm rich!". As on the slot machine, reality would soon set in and all of that imagined wealth would vanish.

Greed is one thing, but one must wonder if the hopeful but delusioned seller has any touch with reality. Greed, if to be fulfilled, must at some point intersect reality. This guy might as well stack up those books to make a coffee table, end stand, etc. as he will have them for quite a while.

It was good for a laugh, though.
JIm

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » December 22nd, 2013, 4:09 am

Jim Riser wrote: This guy might as well stack up those books to make a coffee table
JIm

The thing is, it's not one guy. It's multiple sellers from various places in the U.S. and abroad. The lowest price for the paperback is $300 and the highest is $1,218.97! I guess they are all greedy and delusional.

Fredrick
Favorite Magician: Eugene Burger

Postby Fredrick » December 22nd, 2013, 10:15 am

Greed perhaps but if they didn't believe that someone somewhere would pay, they would be priced differently. There is plenty of fault on both sides of the transaction. A potential buyer has to take some level of responsibility to research the value and availability of any product. Reacting and purchasing based on real or perceived scarcity reinforces the seller's behavior. I am often amazed and somewhat amused by how much is marketed to us based on scarcity both in the magic market and out. Most of the new high end playing cards are sold this way - almost guaranteeing a sellout.

The Wakeling book is just the latest in the saga. In the past, Jay's Cards As Weapons and Taylor's Death and Resurrection Show fetched prices way beyond their value. In all these cases, it's a challenge to assign fault to one side.
"Try to find the humanity in the magic..." ~ Michael Moschen
The Jinx Companion

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 22nd, 2013, 1:41 pm

If they want too much for the book, don't buy it.

If someone will actually pay that much, then it is common sense, not greed, to sell it for that much.

And "fault"? As in culpability? Responsibility for a wrong? No one has done anything wrong here. A luxury good is offered for sale. If someone would rather have the good, than the money requested, they'll buy it. Just like when I renew my Genii subscription. (Is RK "greedy" because a year costs $58 instead of $53? I think not . . . .)

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » December 22nd, 2013, 3:59 pm

To me, the most ridiculous aspect of this is, why would someone list their copy for $1200 right next to the people listing the exact same thing for $300. I suppose that after all the $300, $400, $600, and $1000 copies have been snapped up, the buyer who has come late to the party, will be forced pay the $1200 for the only remaining copy left for sale ;)

Of course as soon as it becomes known that even one copy has sold for $300+, you will see dozens of copies (maybe hundreds) listed by people who wish to make a nice profit on their $20 investment.

You will often encounter this same type of situation on the internet. I wanted a copy of "Scarne on Dice" and checked the abebooks site. They had over 100 copies ranging from $1 to $110. I opted for the $1 copy.

No one is ever going to pay $110 for a copy of "Scarne on Dice" and no one is ever going to pay $1,218.97 for the paperback Carroll & Graf edition of "The Magic of Alan Wakeling".

Craig Busch

Postby Craig Busch » December 23rd, 2013, 7:21 am

I purchased a hardback copy last month for $60.00. Quite happy with it. That to replace the paperback copy I bought for $20.00.

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » December 23rd, 2013, 11:15 am

I purchased the hardback copy one or two years ago. I don't remember but I think I payed $65 including s&h to Mexico city.
Andres Reynoso

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”