James Biss steps up big time to support our stroke survivor daughter Kendall Gillis with

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Bill Gillis

James Biss steps up big time to support our stroke survivor daughter Kendall Gillis with

Postby Bill Gillis » May 31st, 2012, 4:54 pm

James Biss One of a kind collectibles to support seven year old stroke survivor Kendall Roo Gillis

We are so grateful to Canadian mentalist and writer James Biss who was touched by our daughter Kendalls story and our efforts to pursue every means possible to ensure she has a complete recovery from her stroke.

He released his controversial NOW OUT OF PRINT first book, Messing With Minds., which has become one of the most coveted books of magic and mentalism, commanding hundreds of dollars at auction around the world.

His much-anticipated sequel Mind Blowing contains numerous essays on new approaches to performing, including the provocative "Practicing Zentalism" and "The Seven Secrets of Mind Blowing". Each explores his on-stage alternatives to the bullying mentality so prevalent in our art. This exciting new work also includes the inside stories of his contentious creations including TeslaVision, White Tagger, and the world's number one mentalist design duplication tool, The Impressionable Mind Board. Incredibly, he has also included detailed instructions for assembling the hottest mental assistant in a generation - the Remote Control Change Pack.

The main body of this impressive 352-page book consists of the entertaining presentations and the ingeniously simple methodology that James Biss has become associated with.

To support Kendall, he has donated for this special auction the ONLY AUTHORS PROOFS for both Messing with Minds and Mind Blowing. They are right off of his bookcase and they have been inscribed and signed by James for this special auction.
100% of the proceeds from the winning bid will go to help cover Kendalls extensive medical and therapy bills that are not covered by Insurance.

Not only can these special books can be a part of your collection you will make a difference in the life of a seven year old little girl and her fight to overcome her paralysis and traumatic brain injury that were a result of her stroke last summer.

You can see details on Kendalls stroke and her fight to return to living a normal life Kendall Roo Gillis Special Needs Trust here.

My wife Greta and I have been so touched by the generosity of the magic community around the world and we are eternally grateful to James Biss and others who have donated items from their collections to benefit Kendall over the course of the last year.

Bill Gillis

Look for the special auction coming to ebay soon!

Bill Gillis

Re: James Biss steps up big time to support our stroke survivor daughter Kendall Gillis with

Postby Bill Gillis » May 31st, 2012, 9:02 pm

The auction has started for these special one of a kind author final proof copies personally inscribed and signed by James to support our daughter Kendall!

I should mention that Messing with Minds includes the annotations James returned to the printer
The Mind Blowing Cover is one of a kind and never used
The Mind Blowing Section 7 was never printed in soft cover

Good luck and thank you for your support!

Auction for these one of a kind books

mai-ling

Re: James Biss steps up big time to support our stroke survivor daughter Kendall Gillis with

Postby mai-ling » May 31st, 2012, 11:21 pm

What kind of stroke did she have?
What kind of injury did she end up having (specific side, deficits
etc)?
Do you know what caused it?
you will remember my name
http://www.mai-ling.net
world's youngest illusionista

Bill Gillis

Postby Bill Gillis » June 1st, 2012, 7:32 am

At only six years of age our perfectly healthy daughter Kendall suffered a Hemoratic stroke to the right side of her brain due to an AVM rupture while we were playing on the beach. She was life flighted to Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital where she remained in a coma for five days. Then they opened her skull and removed the hematoma and the remains of the AVM.

Because the stroke was on the right side of her brain she was left paralyzed on her entire left side. After 8 weeks in the hospital we came home and now she works through 40 hours a week of Physical, Aqua, Speech, Occupational and countless other therapies.

You can google Kendall Roo Gillis stroke and see all of the various stories or go here: http://www.youtube.com/user/KendallRooG ... ture=watch

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » June 1st, 2012, 10:56 pm

I had a feeling it was an AVM.

Stroke in young children especially in utero is more common than people expect.

I'm all too familiar with the devastation of stroke.
My father had a massive hemorrhagic stroke on the right
side of his brain that resulted in complete paralysis
on his left side.

He didn't have an AVM but his stroke happened in the Basal
Ganglia which affect balance and motor coordination and it bursted and the blood was starting to flow
toward the left side of his brain. The fear was the pooling of
the blood at the top of the brain would create so much
force that it would crush his brain stem.

He also had a craniotomy. As a result of has a dent in his
head from the surgery. But it saved his life. He had a long convalescent period. Especially after realizing what affected
him. He had to relearn a lot. He couldn't sit, stand or walk because of where the stroke happened. Which included 4 months in the hospital including 2 months of inpatient rehab, 2 months of home health and 7 months of out-patient therapy at a special out patient facility that deals with nuero trauma.

He's now 14 years post stroke.

If you ever need resources or support I know someone who started
a support group for young children who have suffered stroke/TBI.

I know Stroke Connection is coming out with a future article about the subject and I believe she'll be featured. She's done a lot of work in this field and is a huge force.

I have a lot of connections with both the American Heart Association and Stroke Association. If you need resources let
me know. I've been feature, recognized and honored locally,
regionally and nationally.

As a heart & stroke ambassador I work hard in creating awareness
and letting people know of resources.

I've been his care giver for 14 years, I know the ropes and how difficult it is to deal with a family member who was healthy and become disabled all of a sudden.

You can read about my father and our life after stroke here:
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/aha/str ... 70304/#/24

My mother passed away from CHD on May 29, 2009. So it hits both sides for me.
you will remember my name

http://www.mai-ling.net

world's youngest illusionista

Bill Gillis

Postby Bill Gillis » June 4th, 2012, 10:54 pm

Mai-ling,

Thank you so much for sharing the story of your father and the incredible article in the stroke connection. You are certainly correct when you mentioned that stroke in your children is more common than people expect. In fact stroke is the 6th leading cause of children under 18 in the U.S.

I appreciate your offer of help and support with resources and will reach out via email.

Best regards,

Bill

Bill Gillis

Postby Bill Gillis » June 6th, 2012, 6:40 pm

This auction will end tomorrow night. Don't miss your opportunity to own these two ONE OF A KIND collectibles from James Biss!!!!

Bill Gillis

Postby Bill Gillis » June 7th, 2012, 11:32 am

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”