Dante's Mysteries on DVD

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Todd Karr

Dante's Mysteries on DVD

Postby Todd Karr » February 11th, 2009, 2:28 pm

Hi, everyone:

We have a GREAT clip of Dante from 1930 on our site: The Miracle Factory Dante's Mysteries Video Preview

Dante's Mysteries was his first feature film, made in Sweden in 1930. The hourlong movie featured Dante's magic surrounded with light drama and comedy.

If you thought you knew Dante from his later appearances in films and television shows, this movie will be a revelation as you watch the charming, dapper 47-year-old Dante work his charisma, and you'll see why audiences loved him and his magic.

Dante acted alongside some of Sweden's biggest stars of the time but his magic was the star of this atmospheric black and white film. He performs his Sawing a Woman in Half, produces ducks and flowers, performs card manipulations and a card through handkerchief, passes a cane through a startled actor, and other magical moments, including a few wonderfully creative simulated-magic shots added by the director.

Long unseen, our Dante's Mysteries DVD brings you the complete movie in a digitally remastered version. The film is filled with visual moments and is easy to follow, but we've added discreet subtitles in a few places in the film to translate some of the Swedish script into English.

It's now on sale for $25 (regular $35).

Best wishes,
Todd
The Miracle Factory

mai-ling

Re: Dante's Mysteries on DVD

Postby mai-ling » February 11th, 2009, 5:59 pm

I saw that for the first time a year ago.
Since it didn't have subtitles,
I actually fell asleep during the movie.
you will remember my name
http://www.mai-ling.net
world's youngest illusionista

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » February 11th, 2009, 6:25 pm

How is the organ grinding business, Frances?
Having any problems with your monkey? ;)
It's not about the magic; it's about the daily box office gross.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 11th, 2009, 6:32 pm

You really do walk close to the line Mr. Stott.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 11th, 2009, 8:12 pm

Is this about the Sam Moffie book?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » February 11th, 2009, 9:23 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Is this about the Sam Moffie book?

Absolutely..what else?

Big fan of Steubenville, Ohio

Catch WSTV at night on the skip.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » February 11th, 2009, 9:26 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:You really do walk close to the line Mr. Stott.

Sorry, I don't take your meaning.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 11th, 2009, 9:49 pm

Perhaps I misinterpreted this: "How is the organ grinding business, Frances? Having any problems with your monkey?"
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » February 11th, 2009, 10:53 pm

i am the monkey.
the business is well.
thank you for asking.

i'll be organ grinding at the
banquet for the MCA again.

so keep your earsies open.
you will remember my name

http://www.mai-ling.net

world's youngest illusionista

Todd Karr

Postby Todd Karr » February 12th, 2009, 10:41 pm

Mai-Ling: I will send you a free copy of our Dante's Mysteries if you send me your address. The movie has a lot of magic scenes and much of interest to magic performers and historians, and I think on the second viewing you'll really enjoy it.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » February 13th, 2009, 12:19 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Perhaps I misinterpreted this: "How is the organ grinding business, Frances? Having any problems with your monkey?"

Evidently so.
Frances mentioned being an organ grinder in her profile and we had a pet Cinnamon Capuchin monkey, a little female named JoJo, that died of cancer a while back.

Her breed is commonly used by organ grinders and in films because of their intelligence and lower aggression.

After having her in the house for over twenty years she was a much loved member of the family.

I have done a great many things in my life that were filled with pain but taking her to the vet to be put down was the most painful task that I have ever done.

She was wrapped in one of her little blankets and looked at me with those trusting eyes the entire trip.

I would have chopped off a hand, and smiled while I did it, if it would have saved her life.

We have no children but loved her like a child.

My wife and I still weep at her passing.

My posting was an attempt to possibly contact another individual with a pet monkey.

I am unable to determine how my posting could have any other meaning than that so I guess I missed something.

Todd Karr

Postby Todd Karr » February 13th, 2009, 10:46 pm

Ray: Sorry to hear about your monkey but it's nice you can share her memory with everyone. We have three cats (the black one's named Jinx, of course), a fish, and a rabbit named Trixie who's ten...she's been with me through thick and thin through several phases of life, residences, cities, and children.

dc james

Postby dc james » February 14th, 2009, 9:49 pm

Hi Ray -

I too, am sorry to hear of your loss. She is beautiful.

Those who don't live with pets have no idea how much they become a part of our families. (We have three lap dogs in our home.)

I always wanted a monkey, but after witnessing the drama my Aunt and Uncle went through with their Spider Monkey, 'Jibo', I decided that I would pass. He would go absolutely nuts and climb the curtains where he would sit on on the rod and throw 'stuff' at their guests... That was enough to kill my desire to have a monkey as a pet.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » February 14th, 2009, 10:31 pm

dc james wrote:Hi Ray -

I too, am sorry to hear of your loss. She is beautiful.

Those who don't live with pets have no idea how much they become a part of our families. (We have three lap dogs in our home.)

I always wanted a monkey, but after witnessing the drama my Aunt and Uncle went through with their Spider Monkey, 'Jibo', I decided that I would pass. He would go absolutely nuts and climb the curtains where he would sit on on the rod and throw 'stuff' at their guests... That was enough to kill my desire to have a monkey as a pet.

Hello DC,
Thanks for your reply.
Spider monkeys can be a real case, especially male spider monkeys.
All breeds have have one or more things that will trigger their "go berserk" mode. Monkeys will not tolerate being surprised and just a gentle pat on the head will make the go crazy with screeches and destructive behavior if they do not know its coming.

JoJo was our second pet monkey and she benefited greatly from the mistakes we made and the knowledge received during the life of our first monkey, Rasputin, a male Rhesus.

The trick is to always make them aware of your presence in the house and the particular room that they occupy.

Whistle, cough, hum or just call their name out prior to entering and there will be few problems as you described due to surprise.

Both of our pets exhibited an instinctual hatred for certain peoples. JoJo loved raw ground beef or homemade hamburgers.

When traveling with her we would stop at a McDonalds and ask the service personnel to sell us a plain cooked hamburger patty and and, if possible, a recently thawed raw patty for her to eat.

That effort never worked. She would pick up the raw patty first, look at it, smell it, and then throw it down and rub her two paws vigorously like a human does when trying to get something disgusting of their hands without washing them.

The cooked patty received the same treatment and the few times we again attempted to feed a Mickey D's hamburger she always them the same way. We finally gave up on them when she got angry at the smell of one and became aggressive.

Same thing with Burger King. She would scarf down a Wendy's or White Castle in a flash and with great relish.

We came to the conclusion the she knew something about the McDonalds burger that we did not and have not eaten any fare from the Golden Arches in nearly twenty years. :)

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”