Trade Castle Notebook Vol number 14 for vol 2 number 296

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Rick Ruhl

Trade Castle Notebook Vol number 14 for vol 2 number 296

Postby Rick Ruhl » November 5th, 2008, 4:12 pm

Since my Castle Notebooks Vol 1 and Vol 3 are number 296, Id like to find the person who had Vol 2, number 296.

I'd like to do an even swap with you, you get Vol 2, number 14 (lower number) and I get all my numbers matching.

Contact me here or at ricker@cssincorp.com.

Thanks

Rick Ruhl

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Trade Castle Notebook Vol number 14 for vol 2 number 296

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 5th, 2008, 4:31 pm

I looked, but have # 404
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » November 5th, 2008, 4:37 pm

thanks Richard, I know someone, somewhere has it. :)

Joneseymagic

Postby Joneseymagic » November 5th, 2008, 8:27 pm

I don't want to hijack this thread - Rick, I hope you find your "missing number"!

BUT...as this "lower number" thing has come up....

...is it important to collectors to have a low number?

The reason I ask is that I have purchased all three volumes so far, and (God knows how) I have been allocated copy #5 of 500!

Obviously this means that there are only four volumes with a lower number than mine in the world!

I would love to know who owns copies 1 -4 as I can't believe I've been so fortunate! Are the owners willing to "come out"?

I am fully aware that the real value is in the contents of the books, but I am really curious to find out.

Dave Jones

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 5th, 2008, 8:56 pm

Some collectors like low numbers (I don't care), and some like to have sets with matching numbers (I don't care). People collect for different reasons.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 5th, 2008, 8:58 pm

With respect to Dave's question:

I'm not certain if low numbers in this series will have the same cachet as the low numbers in other collectors series because the numbers of the first volume were supposedly not shipped in the order purchased. (This was according to a few anecdotal Internet reports.)

I have no idea whether this rumor is true or not. Can anyone please confirm or repudiate this rumor?

Joneseymagic

Postby Joneseymagic » November 5th, 2008, 10:26 pm

I do respect Richard's views re. numbered copies of limited edition books - in fact I have some sympathy with his position!

I must admit I wasn't aware of the rumour "Erdnasephile" brings up.

This may seem a naive question, but, at the end of the day, is the shipping order important? Ultimately, there are 500 copies of each book, each with it's own individual number. I wonder if, some years "down the line", will the lower numbers be somehow more "desirable" to collectors regardless of shipping order?

I've just realised that there will be five volumes in total - does this make my #5 copies even more "collectable"?? :-)

I hope I'm coming across as "tongue in cheek" here, as I don't want to give the impression that I'm "bigging up" my copies of the books. I fully intend to hold on to them, but I am genuinely interested in their "collectibility."

Dave Jones

James Kernen

Postby James Kernen » November 5th, 2008, 10:33 pm

And then there are the presentation copies that were produced with Roman numerals.. I don't know how many of those were produced, but for a bit some were on ebay... I believe I saw one with the Roman numeral in the seventies if I translated correctly...

I have a volume 2 that is #289....

magicalt

Postby magicalt » November 6th, 2008, 9:19 am

So if several copies had Roman numeral does this mean there are more than 500 copies out there. I know that I ordered mine just before they sold out on Vol. 1 and I have #12. So just to be consistant I have #12 on the other two.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 6th, 2008, 10:06 am

We've answered this question before on the Forum, but, yes, there are indeed more than 500 copies. The publisher's comp copies are usually numbered with either letters or Roman numerals to distinguish them from the copies which are sold.

George Guerra
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Postby George Guerra » November 6th, 2008, 2:01 pm

I guess these "complementary" copies are common (saw the same with Revelation using the alphabet, if I recall correctly, as one sold at a high price on Martinka).

The Cervon Notebooks with Vol 1 was randomly sent out, irregarless of your ordering status...I ordered within hours of the announcement and ended up with #168 which I have been consistant with on the subsequent volumes.

I also would think that low serial numbers would be more desirable, but may not always be true...I know with limited edition apparatus, some may not care as long as one can get their hands on one; good example here is the Gerlitz stuff.

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » November 7th, 2008, 2:17 am

irregarless
TheMagicApple.com
818-508-9921
Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”