2008 Ricky Jay broadsides for sale

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
DAN&DAVE

2008 Ricky Jay broadsides for sale

Postby DAN&DAVE » October 1st, 2008, 8:10 pm

Authentic 2008 advertising poster or broadside for Ricky Jay & His 52 Assistants performance at the Geffen Playhouse in Los Angeles. These posters were posted all over Hollywood and the surrounding areas a month before the shows.

These posters were never sold are are extremely rare. It took us many phone calls to track these down and we've been told we got the last of them.

The posters came straight from the press in mint condition.They measure approximately 24x36 inches.

Purchase Information

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: 2008 Ricky Jay broadsides for sale

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 1st, 2008, 8:16 pm

Don't think you'll have those long!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » October 1st, 2008, 8:27 pm

Any contact info?
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 2nd, 2008, 4:49 pm

I picked a really lousy week to be broke.

Kevin, since it's through their well-established store, we can give them a bye on posting that here.

Dustin

Bibliophage

Postby Bibliophage » October 2nd, 2008, 5:19 pm

Hold your horses, and your dollars. Do not know why such smart guys as D & D are making this mistake, but they do not have permission to sell these posters. Some bad seed named Therin probably talked them into it.

I think you will see this shut down very quickly and no posters will get mailed out, so hang onto your money until the smoke clears.

Dan and Dave, getting gray market posters from a printer who does not own the rights to the image will get everyone in real legal trouble. Please back away from this awful idea which is an insult to Mr. Jay and might end up being a crime.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » October 2nd, 2008, 5:27 pm

Ah! The game is afoot!
Please visit my website.

Bibliophage

Postby Bibliophage » October 2nd, 2008, 6:26 pm

Just a note to advise that the link is dead already...

I think D & D came to their collective senses (they are so smart and talented, this kind of thing is never necessary for artists like them. As to this Therin clod...needs to take up stamp collecting and get out of magic.)

Charlie Chang

Postby Charlie Chang » October 2nd, 2008, 6:57 pm

For curiosities sake, how much were they selling them at?

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 2nd, 2008, 7:14 pm

$120 including a program.

D&D are good kids. I don't believe they knowingly did anything unethical. Thanks to Bibliophage for calling attention to it.

Turned out to be a good week to be broke....

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » October 2nd, 2008, 7:43 pm

Case solved. My job is done here. :)
Please visit my website.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 2nd, 2008, 8:23 pm

When did kibitzing become a job?!?

Oh: Never mind...! ;)

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 2nd, 2008, 9:02 pm

Curious as to the ethics of this situation.

I can see impropriety if the printer made additional copies of the image and sold them after the original contract had been filled. However, if the printer merely gave away overages, would that be wrong? Does the fact that he sold them make it wrong? If D&D collected them from sign posts and sold them, would that be ok? What if they snagged them just prior to them being pasted or found a stack of them that were discarded and not put up?

I'm not trying to offer leading questions, I am just confessing to not understanding the dynamics at play in this particular situation.

What would be the governing "rules" on this?

Brad

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 2nd, 2008, 9:37 pm

Great questions.

Having become the owner of something of value found in a garbage can, I can answer one of them.

After ownership at the time it went into the garbage is established, and that owner was aware it was being discarded and makes no claim to it (in other words, a thief didnt trash it), its finders keepers. The physical item can be sold. The intellectual property, the images etc., remain under control of the original owner. (So the finder cant print up a bunch more and sell those without expressed permission.)

But based on D&Ds statements, the posters were not discovered in the trash, nor were they taken from the streets. (Im curious about that one my own self.)

Dustin

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 2nd, 2008, 9:58 pm

Each case is different. I know a guy in London, a James Bond collector, who found Odd Job's hat from Goldfinger in the dumpster behind Pinewood Studios. He sold it at auction many years later--and guess who bought it? The people who threw it away, EON Productions. The folks who make the James Bond films.

Every case is different. Bus Shelter posters are supposed to be very difficult to find, but I found most of those for the James Bond films when I used to collect that sort of thing. However, it is illegal to sell them. Some folks steal them and sell them.

There's an eBay seller right now who regularly sells bus shelter posters from the Los Angeles area. I've bought some of them (Disneyland stuff). Some are new, right from the printer. Others have been used slightly. This guy has been selling on eBay for many years and if Disney wanted to stop him, they would have done it long ago. They allow it to continue.

Each case is different, and we do not know the circumstances here. Brad questions whether the printer has the right to sell or give away over-runs or perhaps slightly spoiled copies. That depends entirely upon the contract in this case. And we don't know what that is.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » October 2nd, 2008, 10:23 pm

Back when David Blaine buried himself underground for a several days, he had a crew paper Times Square. I got out there with a razor blade and took down three. The next day they were "whited over". Rumor has it that because the stunt was being held at Trump's new West Side property, the posters had Trump's name on them, and I guess he asked that either they be taken down, or Whited over. No posters were sold at the event. I had them restored at $150 each.....man there weren't ANY around for 12 years. Now you can buy them at the DB site.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » October 10th, 2008, 12:05 am

Bibliophage,

You obviously don't know Mr. Schaub, that's Theron, you clod. You're spreading your opinion of people and events anonymously. I call you a coward.

You obviously weren't there when Dan and Dave Buck and Theron Schaub scouted out the printer of the Ricky Jay swag. They showed up at the printers, charmed the staff and walked out of there with armloads of posters. The posters were given to them.

Theron Schaub did not offer any of the posters for sale. He definitely did not commit a crime.

I have no communications with the Buck twins. I've met them though and I doubt they've a larcenous bone in their bodies.

You call a very good, personal friend of mine a clod and imply he is a bad influence on two very well known people in the magic community.
Last edited by Kent Gunn on October 10th, 2008, 3:29 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Saved from myself by RK!

Bibliophage

Postby Bibliophage » October 10th, 2008, 4:43 pm

I have been at multiple Magic Conventions where your fine friend was in attendance and publicly demonstrating the depth and extent of his talent, character, wisdom, ethics and value as a human.

Neither I nor any in the large group with whom I was attending was impressed with your ward, but perhaps your standards are exponentially lower than those of the anonymous persuasion.

Fossor laudo in extrarius lingua,

Not Kent

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 10th, 2008, 6:21 pm

Because I can...

This thread is locked.

Dustin

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”