The Judah Notes by Stewart Judah

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
billcoomer

The Judah Notes by Stewart Judah

Postby billcoomer » September 9th, 2008, 8:30 am

Bill Coomer, 1024 S. Benton, Cape Girardeau, Mo 63703. 573-334-0788

In 1955 I was at Abbotts convention and met Stewart Judah. He was one of the grand old men of magic. He was a real gentleman and also very clever.

Many years later (about 1977) I was doing magic for the Wal Mart Stores and while in Columbia, Mo I met Dr. Charles M. Hudson. Dr. Hudson wrote the Card Corner Column in Linking Ring magazine from 1966 to 1984. He had an encyclopdic knowledge of card magic. He also loved the Faro shuffle and did many tricks using it. He had met Paul Swinford of Cincinatti, Ohio and had corresponded with him. Later Paul wrote a book called Faro Fantasies.

Now jump to many years later. Leo Behnke flew to Cincinatti, I picked him up at the airport and we went to Ken Klosteman's museum. WOW! Then on Sunday before Leo flew back to California, I told him that we needed to meet Paul Swinford, I called Paul and he came to meet us. We ate, talked, and did magic for each other.

Leo flew back home. I drove back to Missouri. Paul began to send me stuff. Copies of things that were awesome. He told me that I lived in the hinterland of Magic and he needed to keep me informed. Then there was a day when he sent me a video of a lecture he had done in Kentucky. At the beginning of the lecture he said, every trick I will do tonight is a Stewart Judah trick. I had the great pleasure of spending one night a week for 17 years at Stewart Judah's house. I turned the video off and called Paul. I said lets talk about Stewart Judah. We did and at the end of that conversation he asked me if I knew about the Judah Notes. I did not. He told me that when Stewart died there was a stack of 5 by 8 cards with tricks written on them. Those cards were given to John Braun (another grand old man of magic, who wrote a column in Linking Ring for years, and Ken Klosterman compiled all of them into a wonderful book). John typed those tricks up on a manual typewriter and there was a carbon copy. John kept the original and Paul got the carbon copy. I asked Paul what I needed to do to get a copy of the copy. He said you have to make two copies. One for Leo Behnke the man and one for Leo Behnke for the Copperfield Museum. I said I will do that, and Paul sent me the notes.

They had typos in them and some of the material was not clear. I retyped them and ended up with a letter perfect set of 108 pages with an index. Some of the stuff was by Stewart and some of it was just stuff he liked. Much of it had never been published. I called Paul and asked him if he had a problem with me selling some of them. He said I do not, but John Braun died and Ken Klosterman bought his library so he now owns the original. I called Ken and he graciously told me that I could sell the notes. He even emailed me permission. Now I sell them. I have sold probably 100 sets over the years and it is amazing to me to note that people who know who Stewart Judah was, buy them.

You can order a set from me: They are $30 post paid. 108 pages of bound material. Send your check or money order to the address at the beginning of this article. I can also accept pay pal at: grok52@yahoo.com

If you email me that you are sending a check, and your address, I will get a set ready to in the mail.

Thank YOU and may you do good magic. Bill Coomer
Bill Coomer, who has a son named Dai Vernon

Bob Kentner

Re: The Judah Notes by Stewart Judah

Postby Bob Kentner » September 9th, 2008, 9:50 am

I highly recommend buying these.

billcoomer

Re: The Judah Notes by Stewart Judah

Postby billcoomer » September 9th, 2008, 10:34 am

Dear Bob, Thank you sir for your kind remarks. It has always amazed me that Stewart Judah and Stewart James, were both named Stewart and had last names 5 letters long that started with J. They were both prolific creators of magic. Bill Coomer
Bill Coomer, who has a son named Dai Vernon

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”