Does this still have value?

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Elliot Gorton

Does this still have value?

Postby Elliot Gorton » May 17th, 2008, 6:55 am

I have a first edition copy of The Dance by Brad Henderson.
I understand that the book has been reprinted and was curious if the book still has the same high monetary value.

It is one of my favorite books on cold reading, however I get the impression that it's past high ticket price had more to do with the information contained therein than it's "collecability".

What do you think?

E
www.savetheinternet.com
www.myspace.com/elliotgorton
http://twitter.com/elliotmagic

James Kernen

Re: Does this still have value?

Postby James Kernen » May 17th, 2008, 10:22 am

The books definitely dropped in secondary market value after the paperback release.. It helped that the second release was a paperback though.. I have only seen 2 copies (and I am sure I missed some more since I was not actively looking)of the 1st editions sell for just over the price of the paperback, but about half of what is used to command (unsigned) before the reprint...

I will be listing a signed copy on eBay this weekend (later today)... This version took even a bigger hit so it should be interesting/depressing.. However, I am glad I bought this before the $300-$400 craze was kicked off by the copy sold on Martinka. I have one more signed copy that I am keeping since it is really a good book, and the inscription in this one is somewhat poetic.

James

James Kernen

Postby James Kernen » May 30th, 2008, 9:47 am

Well, to follow-up..... The book appears to be going for $2 and $149.99 in today's secondary market.

I listed the book twice on ebay and no buyers....just a friend who felt sorry for me and offered me $2 for it when I had a "Best Offer" feature enabled..

The second auction had a starting bid of $150 and a buy it now of $195 and no takers.

For the first auction, I had 5 watchers and the second auction, I had only 2 watchers.

I will probably run the auction one more time with the best offer feature, but would rather hold it for a while longer than give it away..... It doesn't take up much shelf space and it is a good book.

James

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » May 30th, 2008, 10:11 am

What I have seen is once a title is reprinted, the price usually goes down on the first edition. My rule of thumb is that once you know that a hot title is going to be reprinted, dump what you have.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”