J. Stewart Smith book wanted

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Van

J. Stewart Smith book wanted

Postby Van » August 15th, 2004, 5:49 pm

I am looking for a copy of
The Collected Works of J. Stewart Smith

Van

trickdoctor

Re: J. Stewart Smith book wanted

Postby trickdoctor » August 16th, 2004, 8:13 pm

Hi Van,

I've never heard of such a book. I have all of his pamphlets except for one, if that helps you.

Take care,

Joel Kaplan
trickdoctor@aol.com

Joel Kaplan
20652 Quedo Drive
Woodland Hills, CA 91364
818-914-5219

sleightly

Postby sleightly » August 17th, 2004, 6:26 am

I am unaware of a compendium of the booklets... I wouldn't mind one. I do have a second copy however of One More Thought on Cards that I could part with...

ajp

pduffie

Postby pduffie » August 17th, 2004, 6:53 am

I have a vague recollection of seeing such a compilation for sale some years ago. It was probably a limited print containing all the booklets. I say "limited" because I think his work is an acquired taste.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » August 17th, 2004, 9:16 am

Micky Hades acquired the rights to the J. Stewart Smith books at some point and had copies of all of them bound together in a single volume (I believe it is brown buckram with gilt stamping) entitled THE COLLECTED WORKS OF J. STEWART SMITH. The current online Hades Publications catalog lists it at $80 but also shows it as currently out of print. Here's a link to the site:
http://www.trickster.com/catalog/c-booklist.html
We obtained a few copies when we purchased the book inventory of Hades Seattle Magic Sentre about a decade ago, but they are long gone. The book was not a reprint of the material, but a bound compilation of the actual booklets (likely some were the original printings, others Hades reprints, depending on availability). Unfortunately, the Hades site does not appear to be searchable by author, so it would take a title by title check to see if all his individual booklets are still in print. A search on "J. Stewart Smith" on our site ( www.magicbookshop.com ) turned up 15 available titles all priced new at $5, used at $4. Happy to discount the new ones to $4 each to anyone mentioning this Genii Forum discussion (if ordering from the site, mention the Forum pricing in the "comment" section, as it will not be reflected in the website order total). I'll try to find out what titles we are missing that were included in the compilation...

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » August 17th, 2004, 9:31 am

I just checked the 15 J. Stewart Smith titles we have in stock against the Hades catalog and find that all the ones we have are still in print, however, the current retail price is $10 each (we apparently haven't kept up with inflation!). We'll be updating our pricing on them over the next day or so, but the GENII Forum offer of $4 each still holds, provided you mention this discussion when ordering, and while supplies last (it will cost us more than that to restock them!).

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2004, 2:58 pm

I have a MINT copy of the Collected Works of J. Stewart Smith!! It was published by Hades (just like the above post says) in 1983. Now out of print. The book is beautifully bound and in perfect condition. The price is a firm $150- with postage included.
eMail me for more info if interested.

Garry Hayes

Postby Garry Hayes » August 17th, 2004, 3:34 pm

Originally posted by Van McGee:
I am looking for a copy of
The Collected Works of J. Stewart Smith

Van
email this person at alan@farringdon-books.demon.co.uk
He has a copy for $85.35.
Garry Hayes
mrmagician@bellsouth.net