John Scarne footage

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Christian

John Scarne footage

Postby Christian » October 2nd, 2004, 10:36 am

Hello I'm doing a private study about John Scarne and I'm looking for footage of John Scarne.I know the movie Sting and the video Expose of sleight of hand.But I'm looking for more.Does anyone more John Scarne's footage?.

David Alexander

Re: John Scarne footage

Postby David Alexander » October 2nd, 2004, 12:03 pm

Scarne was a favorite of Tom Snyder and appeared at least once, probably more, on Snyder's Tomorrow show in NBC. He was an old man when he worked, but the spark was still there. See also Greater Magic and, of course, Stars of Magic. Scarne wrote not one, but two autobiographies as well as Scarne on Cards, Scarne on Dice, Scarne on Card Tricks, and Scarne's Complete Guide to Gambling, maybe more, but that's what comes to mind right now.

He invented a board game called, suprisingly enough, SCARNEY. Certainly an interesting character.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » October 2nd, 2004, 12:07 pm

One last thing...go to http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchEntry and type in Scarne, John in the author section....there are almost 900 listings for used copies of Scarne's books.

Good luck.

Christian

Postby Christian » October 2nd, 2004, 12:55 pm

Thanks David. I have read th two autobiographies of John Scarne.In this books Scarne said that he recorded two movies one is Cheating at Gambling and the other You think it's luck.
By the way I know all the Scarne's books and I know that his wife is still alive.

Bob Coyne
Favorite Magician: Charlies [sic]

Postby Bob Coyne » October 2nd, 2004, 4:36 pm

I saw Scarne on the Mike Douglas show in the New York area in the early/mid 70's a couple times. He also did sleight of hand on a TV commercial for Schaefer Beer around the same time. I have no idea if it's possible to get footage for any of these. If so I'd love to see them again!

There's also a short bootleg video of a gambling expose he did (in the 40's I think) that sometimes appears on ebay with other such stuff.

Karl Fulves seems to have access to much of Scarne's material and publishes bits and pieces in his various publications.

Postby Guest » October 2nd, 2004, 7:05 pm

I also remember seeing Scarne on The Today Show, with Joe Gargiolia(spelling?) and The David Frost Show, plugging his books and doing demos.

I have seen little comment anywhere, of his later book, "The Mafia Conspiracy", where he makes the claim that "the Mafia", is a myth, concocted by anti-Italian, anti-immigrant forces to demonize them, and books and movies furthering these negative stereotypes, because it sells.
I can't recall him talking about this on any show, although in the early 1970's, there were Italian-American groups and others who tried to debunk/dismiss the idea of a Mafia underworld.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » October 2nd, 2004, 9:51 pm

He invented a board game called, suprisingly enough, SCARNEY. Certainly an interesting character. [/QB]
He invented other games including one called TEEKO. He would later name his son Teeko, after the boardgame!

Van

Postby Van » October 3rd, 2004, 6:31 pm

Charles "Chuck" Windley was a friend of Scarne and had many stories about him. A lot of them were in a magazine called "Backstage" that was published in the 80's. I think Chuck is still alive and lives near Norfolk Va.

Postby Guest » October 4th, 2004, 4:01 pm

Scarne was buddies with Joe Dunninger. I met Dunninger shortly before he died, and he mentioned that Scarne had stopped by the day before. "He's one in a million" was his comment about Scarne.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » October 5th, 2004, 9:01 pm

Yeah, I might have those Mike Douglas, or Tom Synder shows... Give me a couple of days to dig-em out. Wasn't there a thread last week asking if he did the Scaffer beer commercials? Try asking Second Line Search In NY for this. Billy Mac said that he has yet to locate a copy. If it was on film (probably so) then it's out there. The stuff that's gone is the early stuff on Quad video-tape (1973-1979)...Except for the stuff I have found.

Christian

Postby Christian » October 6th, 2004, 8:08 am

Max if you have that shows or if you can get it would be wonderful I'm so interested about it.I have many video tapes to exchange.

Postby Guest » September 21st, 2005, 2:08 pm

FROM ATTORNEY HENRY STEPHEN BAUER, Portland, Ore.
SCARNE FANS: I have a tape of several Scarne TV appearances and also a copy of the comedy short DARK MAGIC in which he plays Mr. Calypso. I am searching for a copy of his military educational film titled YOU THINK IT IS LUCK, or YOU THINK IT'S LUCK, or some such. I am in touch with his widow, Steffi, send her e-mails and Xmas cards, and have visited her home (a wonderful hostess!).
Anyone who can help me run down a copy of the old military training film, I'll trade you a copy of its original shot-by-shot screenplay. Kind of a kick to read. Steffi would LOVE to see the film.

John Smetana

Postby John Smetana » September 22nd, 2005, 3:04 pm

quote:
He invented a board game called, suprisingly enough, SCARNEY. Certainly an interesting character. [/QB]

He invented other games including one called TEEKO. He would later name his son Teeko, after the boardgame!

He also invented a game titled SCARNES CHALLENGE..a one person game using markers. He offered $10,000 to anyone who could solve/win it.
I have the game here...never tried it but certainly looks interesting.

All the best,
John Smetana
www.docjaksonsplace.com

Postby Guest » October 15th, 2005, 12:25 pm

Originally posted by Diego Domingo:

I can't recall him talking about this on any show, although in the early 1970's, there were Italian-American groups and others who tried to debunk/dismiss the idea of a Mafia underworld.
This is true.

Joe Colombo founded an Italian American Anti Defamation League, to protest this stereotyping, but lacked credibility, even before his business associates had him whacked.

What Scarne, who knew many gangsters, and had once performed for Al Capone, was denying was not the existence of gangsterism, but the existence of a nationally organized secret society of Mafiosi, with a secret council. Crime just isn't that organized.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”