Jack Hughes World of Magic

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Steve Mills

Jack Hughes World of Magic

Postby Steve Mills » September 2nd, 2003, 9:58 am

My book collection is rather small, but I always try to keep "sets" complete. Anyway, I have Volume 1 of Jack Hughes World of Magic, which I bought back in the stone age. Hunting on the net, I see there is a volume 3, but I never could find information about a "set".

Does anyone know how many volumes were issued and whether it is expensive to complete the set?

Thanks for any input.

Later.....
Steve
Let him rave, that men may know him mad.Yul Brynner as Rameses II

Bo Jonsson

Re: Jack Hughes World of Magic

Postby Bo Jonsson » September 2nd, 2003, 10:53 am

Jack Huges world of magic volume 1 was published 1981. Volume 2 was published 1992 and volume 1999.About a year ago Viking had both volume 2 and 3 for sale.

Postby Guest » September 2nd, 2003, 11:11 am

I paid $450 for my set, click here to see them.

They are getting harder and harder to find, but Vol. 1 is the hardest to find, so you might find it easier to get the other two.

In fact it looks like Denny has Vol. 3 for $95: click here.

Mitch Solway

Postby Mitch Solway » September 2nd, 2003, 2:41 pm

Finding the set is quite difficult as Vol #1 and #2 are long out of print so nobody will be selling them new as a set. Every once and a while a set will appear on ebay...but very rarely and it will fetch a nice price..Andy paid $450 but I have seen a set go for $550.

I got mine for about $260 U.S. but I was a lucky bugger! Plus my Vol #1 was signed by Jack...he signed only about 10 before he passed away...I think Andy has a signed #1 if I recall as well...what a small world! #2 and #3 are signed by Derek Lever (the author, publisher).

Anyway, I find #2 the hardest to come by. I have two Vol#1's and am looking to see if I can accumulate a second complete set.

Mitch

Matt R

Postby Matt R » September 2nd, 2003, 8:37 pm

Vol. 3 was also issued with a separate comb bound index (very handy)....

Jinx

Postby Jinx » September 10th, 2003, 1:47 am

Hi,
Derek Lever (the author of these) still has a few of Volume 3 for sale, well he did last month.
Try him deriko@skynow.net .
It was about 55.00 GBP.
Regards
Chris
"There's a lot of good magic in that book, to bad you have to have skill to do most of it".

mehtas

Postby mehtas » June 29th, 2015, 4:30 pm

Sorry to bring this old topic up.

Price of a full set seems a lot less now than year 2003.

I've just acquired a signed first volume and I was just wondering what it would be worth in todays money ??

Many years ago (2001 2002 I think) I foolishly sold a full set for £20 (pounds). I've been regretting than since. few years back I decided to get the set back and I was lucky enough to get them lot less than some of the posts above. in that process I got some dupes as well and few days back I got a signed copy :).

lybrary

Postby lybrary » June 29th, 2015, 7:58 pm

There is also a partial compilation of these three volumes (roughly about half the contents is included) which you can purchase for example here

http://www.martinbreese.com/bookpages/hughes.htm

http://www.lybrary.com/jack-hughes-worl ... 71871.html
Lybrary.com Magic & Gambling
preserving magic one book at a time

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”