Genii Magazines - The Complete Run- Volume 1 #1 up to the present

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Ira Rush

Genii Magazines - The Complete Run- Volume 1 #1 up to the present

Postby Ira Rush » November 7th, 2005, 8:54 am

Perhaps this post doesn't truly belong here, because I'm NOT selling!!!!

I'm just curious, anybody have an idea as to what the value would be of the complete run of the magazine. From Volume 1 #1 to the present, including those rare issues (Vol.1 #2, and the the two Steranko issues, one on cards, the other on escapes). 50% of the issues are bound in leather binders, the other 50% are not bound. Conditions of the magazines are mostly good to mint, with a few volumes (mostly from the 1960's in fair to good).

Again, I'm sorry if this post does not belong here, as I said I am NOT selling!

Just curious what the value would be?

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Genii Magazines - The Complete Run- Volume 1 #1 up to the present

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 7th, 2005, 10:09 am

Hi Ira,

If memory serves (HAH!), a complete unbound file sold on eBay about two years ago for $2,100.

Dustin

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » November 7th, 2005, 11:54 am

A more recently offered partially bound complete file failed to reach its reserve, which I believe was only $900. I think the high bid (below the reserve) was about $600. I susequently purchased that file, to fill in the few gaps in the personal file I already had, so I have quite a few duplicates now if anyone's looking!
The leather binding is likely a plus, in the case of the file in question...

Ira Rush

Postby Ira Rush » November 7th, 2005, 12:06 pm

A big thank you to both Dustin,and Richard Hatch for the information regarding value. It was much appreciated.

Pepka

Postby Pepka » November 7th, 2005, 12:54 pm

Richard, I thought you were working on a bound edition? Or at least a bound magicana. An update?

Ira Rush

Postby Ira Rush » November 7th, 2005, 2:14 pm

Originally posted by pepka:
Richard, I thought you were working on a bound edition? Or at least a bound magicana. An update?
Likewise, I seem to remember that Richard had posted on the forum (perhaps a year ago) that the entire Genii run was to be put on DVD.

Likewise... any update?

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 7th, 2005, 2:44 pm

Knowing that Richard wont see this until much later, I will chime in with what I believe are the correct answers to those questions:

Magicana is in the plans, and I can hear Richard laughing about Genii being on DVD anytime soon. Between breaths, hed say, Who the hell is going to do that?!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dustin

Pepka

Postby Pepka » November 8th, 2005, 3:42 am

It's nice to know that Magicana is still in the works Dustin. What about reprinting columns of those no longer with us. I.E. The Vernon Touch?

Ira Rush

Postby Ira Rush » November 8th, 2005, 5:31 am

Originally posted by DustinStinett:
Knowing that Richard wont see this until much later, I will chime in with what I believe are the correct answers to those questions:

Magicana is in the plans, and I can hear Richard laughing about Genii being on DVD anytime soon. Between breaths, hed say, Who the hell is going to do that?!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dustin
Dustin,

I stand corrected about the Genii on DVD issue, now that I reviewed the old posts which follow...

Topic: Genii Magazine - eBay - 1st four issues
posted February 20, 2002 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Soon you'll be able to buy ALL of the early years of Genii from us in bound volumes for a lot less than that! Perhaps even later this year. :)
and

Topic: GENII on CD?
-Various posts on the issue-
From July, 2002

and

Topic: Reprint Steranko content from Genii
posted June 14, 2005 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
All of it will be reprinted eventually.
...I perhaps assumed incorrectly that it was in the works. I still think it would be a great idea.

Anyway, once again thanks for the info regarding "value" to my original post on this topic.

-Ira-

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 8th, 2005, 7:20 am

When we first purchased Genii, I assumed that we would reprint most of it in hardcover books. Since then technology has changed and the tolerance in the marketplace for large hardbound books of reprinted magazines has decreased because other publishers are putting out old magazines on CD-Roms for next to nothing.

The day when I could reprint Mahatma, Conjurors' Monthly (Houdini version), Stanyon's Magic, and others in large multiple volume hardcovers in a slipcase is finished. No one is going to pay $200 + for anything like that today in sufficient numbers.

So, that leaves us in limbo with the idea of bringing the first 60 years of Genii out in hardcover.

I don't care for the way magazines look when reproduced electronically at the moment: the technology still requires far too much work to produce a good-looking product.

Since the attitude of the buying public and technology continues to evolve, my opinion will continue to evolve as well.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

magicam

Postby magicam » November 8th, 2005, 9:18 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:
I don't care for the way magazines look when reproduced electronically at the moment: the technology still requires far too much work to produce a good-looking product.
Based on my limited experience with CD-ROMS which offer facsimiles of the pages from old books or magazines, I agree. The Linking Ring CD-ROM set offered by the IBM is a good example of a product which is quite useful, but not very aesthetically appealing. Many of the images seem a little fuzzy, albeit readable.

Shane, I dont mean to knock your idea of a limited edition hardbound reproduction of Genii, but if Richard did that, I would think the cost would be prohibitive. I think what Richard is saying is that hes not happy with the current methods available for economical scanning of the images. Once successfully scanned to the publishers desired quality level the rest of the production could be fairly easy, printed and bound on demand even, or in small batches. But the scanning what a nightmare!

Clay

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 8th, 2005, 12:42 pm

Pepka,

From a pre-publication standpoint, I know that The Vernon Touch is very close to complete. RK will have to say when it's ready to go to the printer.

Dustin

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 8th, 2005, 9:17 pm

Regarding The Vernon Touch book, Noah Levine has completed a remarkable index and I think Michael Albright is well on his way with the layout.
So, if all the stars align, we will have it to the printer before the end of the year. Six weeks later it will be out.
You will see ads for it in Genii and in other magazines (MUM, Linking Ring, and the Magic Circular) with a special prepublication price. The book is 7 x 10, so it will fit beside the shelf with all the L&L Vernon books, and is between 600 and 700 pages. It won't be cheap!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”