Wanted: Tayade Cups

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.

Wanted: Tayade Cups

Postby Guest » August 13th, 2005, 7:46 pm

Would prefer the Hindu style if available, but if you have a set of the Western cups you wouldn't mind letting go of either, drop a post here and I'll be in touch.

Here's hoping....

Doug King

Re: Wanted: Tayade Cups

Postby Doug King » August 13th, 2005, 9:59 pm

What would a set be worth or what should be a fair secondary market/collectible asking price?
Doug

Postby Guest » August 13th, 2005, 11:23 pm

Well, Hocus Pocus had a set of Hindu cups for about $75 a while back, but I imagine that's on the low side. Earle Oakes offered a set here for $300 on this forum a couple years ago, which seems about right, maybe a tad high. I bet Bill Palmer could help though... :)

Doug, have you got a set you'd like to sell?

Postby Guest » August 14th, 2005, 12:01 am

Hi Guys...

If Hocus Pocus had a set at $75, they were most likely the later Tayade hindu cups made by Tayade Jr which were on the market "new" a couple years ago. With all due respect to Tayade Jr., they are nothing like the original Tayade cups made by his father. The quality / finish between the two are a world apart. If you can find a set, the Tayade Sr. cups are well worth the extra $$ and $300 would be right in the ballpark. If you just want a nice set for performing, the later version would work fine or you may want to try Viking's for near the same price. Happy Hunting!

Best,

Michael

Postby Guest » August 14th, 2005, 12:06 am

Thanks Michael, very helpful.

So, if either of these price ranges seem fair and you have a set ('jr' or 'sr') to sell, let me know...

Doug King

Postby Doug King » August 14th, 2005, 12:00 pm

Have a set of the Western cups... made by Tayade Sr. Might be willing to sell them. They are beautiful... and hardly used... no balls, just the cups. Make me an offer I can't refuse.
Doug

Postby Guest » August 14th, 2005, 1:15 pm

Sent you an email, thanks.

Earle Oakes

Postby Earle Oakes » August 14th, 2005, 4:02 pm

FeverDream,

Please email me your email address.

eoakesartist@verizon.net

Postby Guest » August 20th, 2005, 4:36 pm

I have a set of Hindu Tayade Cups (no balls) and I was told when I got them some time ago that they were made by Sr. not Jr. but frankly I have no idea. I do have a Rice Vase that is exquisite and if you put the Rice Vase next to the cups they are hard to tell apart ( except of course one is a vase and the cups are cups) and I am quite sure the Rice Vase was made by Tayade Sr. I have no certificates of provance and consequently can make no guarantees. If you want the cups for $300., plus shipping and handling let me know by e-mail. If any one is interested in the Rice Vase I would let this go for $1200. and be in tears as it was shipped away.

Bob

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » August 20th, 2005, 6:12 pm

Bob:

If you want to see the differences, go to http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com and look for the page of "unusual cups."

The main difference in the appearance of the cups Sr. did and Jr, did is in the laciness of the paint job. The set of cups I inherited from Tony Andruzzi were by Tayade, Sr. The other Tayade cups on that site are by Tayde, Jr.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Postby Guest » August 21st, 2005, 9:44 am

I have examined the Hindu cups and the Rice Vase decorated by Tayade either Jr. or Sr. based on the criteria that Bill Palmer outlined in his previous post and have decided that the Hindu Cups are probably done by Jr. and the Rice Vase by Sr. The decoration of the Rice Vase appears to be much more lacy than the Hindu Cups. Also the inside of the cups are painted in a purplish blue (if that can be considered a color.) Perhaps this is an additional clue? The Rice Vase ( the vase that goes with the checker trick) is very lacy, but what really is special is the glowing finish of the surface. It is really special!

Bob

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”