Max Maven's PRISM (reprints of the Phil Goldstein's Color Series)

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.

Max Maven's PRISM (reprints of the Phil Goldstein's Color Series)

Postby Guest » January 5th, 2005, 1:47 pm

Finally, the Phil Goldstein's Color Series reprinted in a single hard cover volume, with the well recognized quality of Hermetic Press publications!

Recently, complete sets were sold for as high as $500. You can now have all five booklets, the BLUE, the RED, the GREEN, the YELLOW, and the VIOLET, re-edited and newly illustrated, for just $36.50 plus shipping and handling. This is less than $8 per color, one of the best deal you ever saw!

For more information, please click here .

Prism should be in stock on January 28. I'm no Max Maven, but I predict these will go fast!

Martin
sharing the magic!
http://www.joyalstack.com/

Re: Max Maven's PRISM (reprints of the Phil Goldstein's Color Series)

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2005, 9:02 am

We just heard from Hermetic Press that the completion of Prism will be delayed one week. We should have it in stock on February 4 instead of January 28. Therefore our offer at $36.50 plus shipping and handling is extended one week until February 3.

Martin
sharing the magic!

Postby Guest » February 2nd, 2005, 8:16 am

The above offer will soon end. Prism will be on our shelves on February 4. We will ship as many copies as we can on that same day.

Three copies are still available from this first batch we ordered. A second batch will come in on February 11.

EDIT: Good news! Prism just came in. We will start shipping orders tomorrow February 3.

Martin
sharing the magic!

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » April 6th, 2021, 4:52 pm

[Apologies for digging up an old thread!]

I was recently re-reading this book and I finally realised how brilliant it was.

I was always a big fan of the book, but there was a frequency to Max Maven's thinking that passed me by.

He is the mentalism equivalent of Dai Vernon. It is only recently that I got myself in tune to his way of thinking.

This book pretty much sums up Einstein's idea that, 'Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.'

The ideas in the book are simple. But that can misdirect idiots (like me) into overlooking how brilliant the thinking is. It takes a certain genius to work at this level of creativity. Neither too complex nor too simple. And it took me a long time to realise it. I re-read the book the other day, and I just want to make up for the fact that I have never spoken publically before on how brilliant this book is.

Long story short - Max is a genius. And I am an idiot.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » April 6th, 2021, 6:08 pm

Joe, you are not alone in the idiot category. When those booklets were first released I shunned them. Donald Wallace of Magic Books by Post was selling them and I thought to myself, "With such a silly name, how could these contain anything useful?"

Now, looking back, I notice they were the only books of Max' whose names could be pronounced without a university degree.

However I digress. Many of the routines became and still are in the repertoire of professional mentalists. In my case, having ignored the booklets, I'm watching Max at a British convention gala show. I don't remember if it was a Blackpool or British Ring one. He did one routine that I (much later) found was in those books. It fooled me badly. Really badly. So badly that it kept me awake at night for months later.
It wasn't that I didn't know how it was done, it was that such a thing couldn't possibly be.

I wish I could get more of that in magic for (as a magician) it is a glorious experience and akin to being Schrödinger's cat.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”