Corner Rounder

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
HighQ

Corner Rounder

Postby HighQ » February 21st, 2006, 3:33 pm

I'm looking for a vintage brass corner rounder for playing cards. Anyone? Thanks.
Mike

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Re: Corner Rounder

Postby NCMarsh » February 21st, 2006, 10:46 pm

How's about I brass plate an old nailclipper or pair of silhouette scissors?

N.

HighQ

Postby HighQ » February 22nd, 2006, 6:09 am

Great idea, Nathan. Now how do you recommend corner shorting the other 51 cards so that the edges are exactly the same?
I need a whole deck corner shorted.

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » February 22nd, 2006, 7:25 am

Staples sells one for 5 or 6 dollars. It's normally used for photographs.

Richard Lane

Postby Richard Lane » February 22nd, 2006, 8:59 am

It not what Mike is looking for, but if you were curious about Mark's suggestion:

Bidex Corner Rounding Punch

It works.

Its a couple of $$s cheaper at Staples stores, though if you buy at Amazon, (via the links on the right of your screen,) it'll benefit the Genii Forum.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » February 22nd, 2006, 9:24 am

Mike,

I assumed you were a collector, if you're looking for this for practical purposes I'd experiment with a vise and an emery board. If finer work is not necessary -- I would use the corner rounding punch being sold at Walmart and office supply stores. It cuts to exactly the same size every time, and we can even plate an old one in brass for you ;)

Someone (Jim Riser?) was discussing a new card trimmer a few months back. It may be worth finding that person and contacting them, as they may have a better lead on someone with what you're looking for. I have the sense that the community interested in these things is small, and the producer of this new trimmer may be in the loop with them.

Best,

N.

NCMarsh

Postby NCMarsh » February 22nd, 2006, 9:52 am

It is worth noting that the corner rounding punch sold at Staples (etc.) results in corners that are so large that, at a quick glance, you can tell the corner has been shorted. I worked with corners produced in that way for several months, but have now gone back to a nail clip and an emery board in order to make the work more subtle.

Vernon's corners were the slightest sliver and he located them either with the lightest riffle in the estimated area of the deck, or with the corner tap technique taught in the Vernon Chronicles.

I use the short night after night in front of real people, and so there is a tendency to want to sacrifice subtlety for security. It is, obviously, more important that I be able to locate the short every time than that it withstand scrutiny that it is not going to receive. That said, my absence of faith in my ability to locate fine corner work night after night and on busy shifts was not well founded. The finer work is a practical, superior solution. I would advise others to stay away from the corner punch. I keep one in my case for a situation when I need to make a short quickly (i.e. if I were running late to a venue and had not yet put work into the deck to be used).

Id advise others to stick with the board and the clipper; or as did Vernon, Miller, Riser, and others to use a small pair of well maintained scissors.

Best,

N.

ggarcia

Postby ggarcia » February 22nd, 2006, 7:16 pm

Here's the one i use. its by lassco. use the 1/8" cutting unit.

http://www.factory-express.com/Paper_Cu ... under.html

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » February 22nd, 2006, 10:33 pm

Thats a nice looking device.

Looking at the "standard cutting diagram", the 1/8th inch setting seems smaller than the amount a playing card is already rounded.

At that setting, wouldn't the blades just be slicing air, so to speak?

ggarcia

Postby ggarcia » February 23rd, 2006, 11:03 am

No sir, its an almost perfect match. The radius of a playing card is very very close to an 1/8". Without a custom made corner rounder I dont know of anything else that is closer. If there is a store bought corner rounder that is the exact radius of a playing I would appreciate any input on where to purchase. I make a lot of my own cards and I like to get them as close to the real thing as possible.... After rereading your statement I may have misunderstood. If you are wanting to make a corner short then the lassco device with an 1/8 blade will not work - you would be slicing through air - that radius is very close to a real playing card. But, if you want to make short cards or custom make cards then this device would be perfect to get the correct radius on the corners.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 23rd, 2006, 11:38 am

I checked out the website and the Standard Cutting Diagram. The 1/8" radius is so close to a Bicycle corner, the cut would be neglgible.

The 1/4" radius is the same one the Korner Short cutter makes (see link below). I think the 3/8" and 1/2" radii might be too noticeable, but might be useful for certain effects (e.g. 10 cards to cut out of a deck).

Incidentally, the best use for these machines is making SuperStripper decks (corner short one corner of an entire deck -- a card turned round will protrude).

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/customer/p ... oductid=89

Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Postby Sam Kesler » February 23rd, 2006, 12:01 pm

Here's the link to a brief review of Korner Short by David Parr on My Lovely Assistant site.

http://www.mylovelyassistant.com/index. ... ay&rid=644

Postby Guest » February 23rd, 2006, 12:04 pm

Originally posted by Bob Farmer:

Incidentally, the best use for these machines is making SuperStripper decks (corner short one corner of an entire deck -- a card turned round will protrude).

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/customer/p ... oductid=89
You can also make your own cornered Svengalis and Mene Tekels.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 20th, 2021, 1:50 pm

If you just want a practical, relatively inexpensive corner rounder, these are really sturdy and easy to use:

http://www.oregonlam.com/Corner_Rounder ... Punch.html

(They are what grognards often recommend to round the corners of the game counters).

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 20th, 2021, 2:08 pm

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » July 20th, 2021, 4:15 pm

The Kadomaru is the best since it includes the radius used for Bicycle cards.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 20th, 2021, 5:29 pm

That one looks very nice. As a personal preference, I have found the handheld ones to be more comfortable for me, but I like that the one pictured gets you three radius settings in one device.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » July 20th, 2021, 7:50 pm

The handheld ones can be awkward to use for me--the Kadomaru works very smoothly since it is flat on the tabletop.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » July 20th, 2021, 10:22 pm

The handheld variety can be better for rounding a card that’s been stripped, as it allows for the card to be manually “squared up” so the newly rounded corner doesn’t accentuate the stripped edge.

But otherwise, the Kadomaru gives the easiest and cleanest cut by far … even better than some of the rare high $$$$ custom machined rounders floating around out there.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”