Help with book values please! Titles by Charvet, Hull and Hopkins.

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Barajista

Help with book values please! Titles by Charvet, Hull and Hopkins.

Postby Barajista » April 25th, 2005, 5:47 pm

Hi, I'm spring cleaning and came across a couple of titles in a box and curious about their possible value.

The first is Magic: Stage Illusions, Special Effects and Trick Photography By Charles A. Hopkins, hard cover pub. 1911, in good to vg shape for age, tight spine, complete pages.

The other is a 3 ring version of Burling Hull's Encyclopedia of Stage Illusions, pub. in 1962 and a predecesor of the later publication of the same title by Magic Limited. I believe this is the 1st edition but not sure.

The last title I am curious about is the hard cover edition of David Charvet's Jack Gwynne book, signed.

Any thoughts about the value of these titles or how I might find out would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Patrick

Re: Help with book values please! Titles by Charvet, Hull and Hopkins.

Postby Guest » April 25th, 2005, 7:24 pm

Anything you want to know about magic books , here is the person to call,
Byron Walker

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » April 25th, 2005, 7:51 pm

Pardon my asking, but would Byron object to having his phone number listed on a forum like this with instructions to call him when you want to know what a book is worth?

[edit to make 2 posts into 1]

I wasn't trying to complain BTW, it's just that I've seen how something, once posted to the Internet, lives on for ever and ever and ever once the search engines pick it up (I can find posts I made to the USEnet 20+ years ago still). Phone numbers in particular are something that most people don't want randomly propagated.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 25th, 2005, 11:43 pm

Which is why I just deleted it. One thing everyone should remember is that people like Byron Walker, George Daily, Andy Greget, Richard Hatch (and his business partner Charlie Randal), John Cannon, Mario Carrandi and other sellers of books and other collectable items should be treated as professionals: Should you pose a question here regarding a books value and Dick Hatch volunteers an answer (which he has in the past), then lucky you. Otherwise, if you initiate contact with them, you should politely inquire what they charge for their appraisal services. If they are willing to help you pro bono then mores the better, but at least you gave them the respect they deserve.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » April 26th, 2005, 5:02 am

Thanks, Dustin. I would also note that many of those you listed (ourselves included) derive income by charging appraisal fees for such information when the answers require signficant research and expertise. Having said that, here are a few "free" responses (keep in mind, you get what you pay for, I haven't spent any time on these!): The Hopkins (I believe the author is Albert, not Charles) in the condition stated might be worth roughtly $100. The 1911 is a rather late edition (I think it was first published in 1898), but copies are often shaken and scuffed. Reprints are widely available (we sell the Arco hardcover for $25, the Dover paperback for about $10). We've only had the ringbinder Hull once, and I think we sold it for about $150. The later edition by Magic Limited is more desirable due to the greatly enhanced format, information and scarcity due to the legal problems (copyright infringement issues). The hardback Gwynne I'd guess at about $350 (the paperback edition at half that). If we had these, we'd likely offer them on eBay and let the marketplace decide their values, which may be much greater than my guesses based on prior experience. We often get calls and emails with such questions and are happy to provide a limited amount of such information at no charge, as I'm guessing are the others, but for researched and documented appraisals (for insurance or estate purposes, for example), you should expect to be billed for a report!

Postby Guest » April 26th, 2005, 6:48 am

Originally posted by Robert Allen:
Pardon my asking, but would Byron object to having his phone number listed on a forum like this with instructions to call him when you want to know what a book is worth?
Sorry if the listing was not proper, it is just that I have known Byron for years and always found him very helpful when calling him about a magic book.I just thought he would be the best person to talk too, I was not trying to suggest that he gave free appraisals.Hope everyone understands and will not list his number again, however he is a super guy and very knowledgeable when it comes to magic books.
Rennie

Postby Guest » April 27th, 2005, 11:03 am

The Gwynne Book three years ago was selling at $350. I think an auction would bring about $500 today .

I have recently have thought of selling my copy --

magicam

Postby magicam » April 28th, 2005, 8:19 pm

IMHO, I'm not so sure the Gwynne would fetch $350 in today's market. I seem to recall a copy selling on Ebay for less than $200 a few months ago. Clay

martinka

Postby martinka » May 2nd, 2005, 5:19 pm

We listed the Gwynne book (hardbound) in the December martinka.com auction. It received strong interest with 30 bids and realized $742. We are also aware of another copy recently selling for slightly less.

Ted

:genii:
Ted Bogusta
Martinka & Co.
wwww.martinka.com
201-444-7576

Alexander Crawford

Postby Alexander Crawford » May 3rd, 2005, 6:16 am

Mr Walker has already had his telephone number posted in various places on the internet (10 secs with Google):

http://www.magician.org/convention2005_dealers.htm
http://www.mymagic.com/magichistory/resources.htm
http://www.jamyianswiss.com/fm/links.html
http://www.illusionata.com/mpt/dealers.php
http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/ ... 1;t=000618

I don't know whether all of the listings were with his blessing, but one would have to assume that at the least the IBM convention listing was.

magicam

Postby magicam » May 3rd, 2005, 10:43 am

Thanks for the information on the sales price of the Gwynne book, Ted. Needless to say, I stand corrected and should stick to book collecting! Clay

Postby Guest » May 3rd, 2005, 2:43 pm

Originally posted by Alexander Crawford:
Mr Walker has already had his telephone number posted in various places on the internet (10 secs with Google):
I don't know whether all of the listings were with his blessing, but one would have to assume that at the least the IBM convention listing was.
Alexander,
Thank you very much, I feel as though I have gotten a reprieve for making that mistake of listing his number.I know Byron very well and did not think he would mind.
Again thanks for letting everyone know that I did not make a dreadful error.
I salute you...
Rennie

Postby Guest » May 15th, 2005, 9:01 am

With all due respect to Charvet and Gwynne anyone that pays $700 for this title is out if his mind or lacks any knowledge whatsoever of rare book collecting!

Dustin, thanks for your comments. My experience has shown that in the Magic Colecting world, with a few exceptions of course, there is little or no respect/knowledge,whatsoever, for PROFESSIONALS in this field. On the other hand, I don't think anyone would approach and attorney to get free legal advise or a physician for that purpose to obtain a diagnosis without making an appropiate appointment.

Like any other professional, any APPRAISER requires the CREDENTIALS AND CERTIFICATIONS from an independent, non profit entity which would be accepted by a court of law or the IRS (example, American Association of Appraisers in NYC, and others that are actually listed in professional guides published for that purpose). Otherwise, it will NOT stand in a court of law. Your appraiser must submit his qualifications otherwise it is like going to a Witchdoctor to get a prescription!

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”