Daryl Books

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
John Kokot

Daryl Books

Postby John Kokot » September 8th, 2004, 1:19 pm

Daryl's "For Your Entertainment Pleasure" and "Secrets of a Puerto Rican Gambler," both written by Stephen Minch, are available on eBay. Please see item # 6117888412 and #6117889544.

Bill Duncan

Re: Daryl Books

Postby Bill Duncan » September 8th, 2004, 7:01 pm

Daryl sometimes visits this forum.

Daryl... if you are reading this WHY WHY WHY don't you reprint these as a single volume called "Early Daryl"?

Or perhaps you could offer them to Magical Publications as a "revisited" volume.

I only have one copy of each and there are a bunch of the local young guys I'd like to have read them but I'm not letting them out of the house.

I rank these books right up there with SuperMagic, COINMAGIC, The Nash Trilogy and the Dingle book as being the most important works for a generation of close up magicians.

Postby Guest » September 8th, 2004, 7:30 pm

Bill,

I agree that these are great booklets. SECRETS OF A "PUERTO RICAN GAMBLER" contained revolutionary pieces, including the first description of what has become a famous Triumph display, and a Twisting the Aces handling that inspired many.

FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT PLEASURE is full of great magic, as well. The clean "Rising Crime" is a great version of the classic Four Robbers trick.

The opportunity for comedy is all too apparent in routines such as "Peter Rabbits Hits the Big Time" and "The Snowshoe Sandwich," not to mention the strength of the magic itself.

"The Out-of-Body Experience" is an incredibly strong sandwich trick which you cannot afford to overlook.

Just a few of my favorites, which I haven't performed in far too long; perhaps it's time to revive them.

Cameron

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » September 8th, 2004, 7:55 pm

Important lessons in both books.
Peter Rabbit Hits The Big Time taught me that there is no effect too easy or too simple that a great entertainer can't make it worth doing.

OOBE taught me how a card control should look and was also my first effect using a steal. I rely on both the control and steal to this day. Daryl's understanding of "the right tool" for the job is a lesson worth discovering.

The Mystic Cross Of India is almost Slydini-ese in it's constuction and simplicity. I see it as the "missing link" that bridges the two styles of coin magic (Bobo's and COINMAGIC) that were being practiced at the time in one effect. It is "old school" and yet not.

And the one handed Ascanio spread and the Hot Shot Cut... good times.

Thanks Daryl

Daryl

Postby Daryl » September 30th, 2004, 10:04 am

Wow, what a pleasant surprise! Thank you Bill Duncan and Cameron Roat for your kind words about my early books. Bill, I've been planning for years to release a collection of my earlier work and my working title was "Early Daryl". What are the odds! One of these days I'll have to get started.
Daryl - The Magician's Magician
www.Daryl.net

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » September 30th, 2004, 10:22 am

I'm confused. The "Daryl" is Daryl Martinez (sp?), not Daryl Easton?

Disparity1

Postby Disparity1 » September 30th, 2004, 10:36 am

Robert,

Daryl has always gone professionally by simply "Daryl." His full legal name WAS Daryl Martinez, but a year or two ago he filed to have it legally changed. He adopted the last name of his wife, and he is now legally "Daryl Easton." To all us schmoes out here following in his footsteps, though, he's still just "Daryl -- The Magician's Magician."

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » September 30th, 2004, 10:57 am

Originally posted by Disparity1:
Robert,

Daryl has always gone professionally by simply "Daryl." His full legal name WAS Daryl Martinez, but a year or two ago he filed to have it legally changed. He adopted the last name of his wife, and he is now legally "Daryl Easton." To all us schmoes out here following in his footsteps, though, he's still just "Daryl -- The Magician's Magician."
Actually, Daryl learned that his legal name should have been Easton, so he changed it a couple of years back. And Alison's maiden name is Morgan.

John LeBlanc

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » September 30th, 2004, 10:58 am

Thanks for clearing up my confusion!

..Time to sell my old D.M. autographs on ebay :D

Disparity1

Postby Disparity1 » September 30th, 2004, 11:21 am

Ah! My misunderstanding. Thanks, John.

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » September 30th, 2004, 11:54 am

Heh heh... Submitted for your amusement and edification (1 slightly off topic).

Allow the pics to load, they're large:

http://www.atombum.com/Images/Magic/daryl.jpg

http://www.atombum.com/Images/Magic/steveandharry.jpg

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”