100 Years of Magic Posters (Reynolds)

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
David Nethery

100 Years of Magic Posters (Reynolds)

Postby David Nethery » March 8th, 2003, 8:18 pm

So, the question in my mind is this:

Why no reprint of "100 Years of Magic Posters" by Charles and Regina Reynolds ? (Dover Publications seems the natural choice for this project )

The things are fetching huge prices on eBay and elsewhere.

I remember when the book first came out and one could not walk into a large book store without seeing several copies on the shelf. Even for years afterwards, up to about 1984 I recall seeing stacks of them on the "bargain table" at Walden Books (how I wish I had purchased a few extras then !)

I had one good copy to keep in mint condition , which unfortunately was lost to water damage.

I used my other five copies of 100 Years of Magic Posters to wallpaper my magic room, floor to ceiling magic posters. I've often wondered what the new owner of our house thought about that room after we moved out !

I've been wanting to buy another one for a few years now, but the high prices stop me. I keep thinking that sooner or later this one will be reprinted. Does anyone know of any plans to reprint "100 Years of Magic Posters" ?

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: 100 Years of Magic Posters (Reynolds)

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 8th, 2003, 8:44 pm

The book is not in the public domain, so Dover would have to purchase the rights: I don't think that's their cup of tea.

Dustin

Matt R

Postby Matt R » March 9th, 2003, 11:15 am

With all the color in this book, I would imagine the cost to reprint it would be quite expensive considering the relatively small market for these types of books and the fact the it has already gone through several printings already. In other words, those that really want a copy already have one and those that are waiting for a more inexpensive reprint are probably not in great enough numbers to warrant a small run of an expensive color production.

David Nethery

Postby David Nethery » March 9th, 2003, 12:28 pm

I don't know if I agree that the market would not support a reprint. Posters are hot items to collect right now. There are books with color reprints of old travel posters (trains and ship lines ), European advertising posters, circus posters, etc . Poster collecting is a big business, and lots of people who are interested in old lithographs are not especially concerned with whether the subject of the poster is circus, magic, , beer, or trains . It's the whole "look" of the late 19th century - early 20th century poster art that people respond to . Those of us who can't afford to buy originals live with reprints.

I was hoping someone might know who retains the rights to "100 Years of Magic Posters" (Charles Reynolds ?) and whether there might be plans to do a reprint.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » March 9th, 2003, 7:47 pm

I have postered this before, but I own a rare hard-cover version of the book. I picked it up at the ripe age of sixteen, for $3 dollars at a Going-Out-Of-Buisness sale at the defunct Grand-Way ...My question; are the colors more vibrant in the hard cover's?

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » March 9th, 2003, 8:02 pm

No, there generally is not a discernible difference...at least, not in my copies.

It's interesting how 100 Years of Magic Posters has become a rare book. I certainly cherish my copies...but I do recall Charlie Reynolds telling me that there were many, many copies of this book printed. In fact, as D.T. suggested earlier, the book was remaindered for quite some time and could be found on the "sale" table of most major book stores [perhaps alongside Cards As Weapons -- another remaindered book].

Postby Guest » March 9th, 2003, 9:47 pm

I believe Jay Sankey may have a copy in a closet somewhere. He may be persuaded to sell.

TomTrix

Postby TomTrix » March 10th, 2003, 3:04 am

The Book was also printed and sold in Denmark, in the danich language, Can anyone tell me how much they are selling for this days.

Tom Trix

Postby Guest » March 10th, 2003, 4:51 am

I had a copy that eventually fell apart. The books were not well made, at least the edition I had. Before Ebay came along, I found replacement books online for about $25 each. I think Ebay has artifically inflated the price of many collectables, and this book in particular.

It used to be you could travel to small towns looking for bargins in small bookstores, but the internet has standarized the price being asked for items. Ah well...

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » March 10th, 2003, 1:22 pm

You're right about inflating prices. Why else would so many copies of Cards as Weapons be sold on ebay. I think people spend $250 for a copy, then realize they just spent $250 for a book that's just sitting on their shelf, then they sell it themselves.

Postby Guest » March 10th, 2003, 2:45 pm

I don't know if its really inflating prices. Something is worth what you can get for it. Ebay is a great way of finding a buyer willing to spend the most. All you need is two people who really want it! But does this mean the book is worth a certain inflated price now? I don't know. Remember when Jerry Hartman's book, CARD CRAFT sold on Ebay for around $412? Then the next copy listed didn't meet the reserve and was only at around $150?
Ebay is at once fun and frustrating. If you are the type who bids on something, gets outbid, bids higher, etc. etc. at the last minute, it can be frustrating, even if you win:
"Okay, I'll go $20.50 higher. Good. Shoot! Okay I'll go up another $30! Outbid already! I'm winning this! $40.00 more! I'm not letting him get it! 5...4...3...2...1.......................................................................and.........................
I won!
I won!
I...won.
I...won? Damn."
And part of the great deception is just that, when you "win". No. You are now BUYING, PAYING FOR, PURCHASING with cold hard cash. You didn't win anything.
But as RK told me here, sometime ago, about the Garcia books, they're out there, you just have to be willing to pay for them. And I did, about $150 for SUPER SUBTLE and $220 for ENCYCLOPEDIA OF SPONGE BALL MAGIC and $80 for REAL SECRETS OF THE THREE BALL ROUTINE (One of which just SOLD on eBay for about $20, I think.) But averaging it out with the other titles that I paid only retail for, that are now fetching high prices, along with the money I made form selling all those unneccasary books, I think I made out pretty well! I think. What was the question again? I wasn't trying to be Eugene Burger, honest.

Postby Guest » March 10th, 2003, 2:46 pm

The above post is way too long. I need to take a break for a while.
See Ya Around.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » March 10th, 2003, 2:55 pm

While online auctions certainly have set higher prices for many items, it is a mistake to attribute all this to eBay. A search of Barnes & Noble's used book search engine finds nine copies of 100 Years of Magic Posters currently being offered for sale by mainline used book dealers. The prices being asked range from $87.50 to $1188.00 :eek:

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » March 10th, 2003, 3:54 pm

Michael;
That does it. I'll sell my copy for only $1000. Shipping and handling are a bit more, of course.
Jim

Matt R

Postby Matt R » March 10th, 2003, 4:05 pm

With regard to your comment:

I don't know if I agree that the market would not support a reprint. Posters are hot items to collect right now. There are books with color reprints of old travel posters (trains and ship lines ), European advertising posters, circus posters, etc . Poster collecting is a big business, and lots of people who are interested in old lithographs are not especially concerned with whether the subject of the poster is circus, magic, , beer, or trains .
I don't disagree that this book and poster collecting is popular. However, this book is not uncommon. I would say 2 or more copies a month come up on eBay alone. Your complaint I think was about the the price that it take to get a used copy is high. Therefore, someone who would reprint it would have to have it retail at say $50 or less to reach this market of price sensitive customers. I am not sure the publisher would make any money given the relatively high printing costs. That was my point.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”