The Message Deck

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.

The Message Deck

Postby Guest » March 9th, 2005, 4:37 pm

There is a new trick called "The Message Deck"
Here is the effect:
Three red backed cards are taken out and only you, the magician, knows what the faces of these cards are. A blue backed deck is then shown front and back. The red cards are placed, one by one, face down into the blue deck. Now the magician sends magical messages to the spectator. The spectator looks through the face up blue deck and calls out three cards. They are taken out of the deck and turned over to reveal the backsthey are the ONLY red backed cards in the entire deck. The magician has sent MENTAL messages to the spectator!

It is going to retail for $14.95 and is a great close up trick! There is no sleight of hand, nothing to ditch, no "lifts" and nothing to force! If you'd like one, you can get it through me for only $10 with free shipping in the U.S.
Please e-mail me magicapplestore@hotmail.com
or call The Magic Apple for more info 818-508-9921

Andy Hurst

Re: The Message Deck

Postby Andy Hurst » March 10th, 2005, 4:01 pm

How is this 'new'?

Isn't this just Thunderstruck by Ken Krenzel but with 3 instead of 1 card, only with slightly less impact.

Postby Guest » March 10th, 2005, 6:35 pm

This Message Deck is a creation/revision of independent invention - it may be, by some crazy coinsidence, the same trick. Thunderstruck is a thought of card - and deals with matching a card in the deck. Different trick
The Message Deck is a revised and "better" version the Magnetic Mental Control from Greater Magic.

Postby Guest » March 11th, 2005, 10:28 am

It sounds like a lesser version of an effect by Carlhorst Meier's that is sold through Ted Lesley's Wonder Workshop titles "Power of Suggestion" that was based upon an idea of Tony Binarelli's. Your participant finds three blue backed cards in a red deck although with this version the ending has a real kicker where the last card selected still has a red back and when the deck is spread there is still a blue backed card in the red deck and when it is turned over it is seen to be the same as the last card selected, thus they got the right card BUT the wrong colour. It is a killer effect and everytime I use it, it never fails to leave them speechless. So it does sound like you have reinvented the wheel with the effect you are selling. Perhaps not BUT that is what it sounds like.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Where mentalists shop for unique material

Postby Guest » March 11th, 2005, 5:24 pm

To paraphrase Max Maven:

If a gang of monkeys were given an infinite amount of time they could eventually write the complete works of Shakespeare.

The idea of forcing a stranger card with a different colored back is perhaps the simple equivalent of the the words "To be..." from Hamlet's speech.

This effect, with a thoughtful routine, is quite strong.

And the Magic Apple has the deck.

Postby Guest » March 11th, 2005, 5:35 pm

I saw Brent perform the effect at the Magicapple and it indeed played very strong.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 13th, 2005, 2:17 pm

Originally posted by Sterlyn Steele:
To paraphrase Max Maven:

If a gang of monkeys were given an infinite amount of time they could eventually write the complete works of Shakespeare.
Max Maven? Give Max credit for a lot of stuff, but not this saying. It only took a few minutes to find it quoted in "On the Beach" by Nevil Shute, 1957.

I'm sure it goes back much farther.

Steve Shain

Postby Steve Shain » March 13th, 2005, 7:19 pm

And then came the internet ... and proved it wasn't true.

Postby Guest » March 14th, 2005, 8:42 pm

Max used this metaphor, analogy (whatever the proper term is) when I asked him about this trick idea.

I'd heard of the monkey idea before and said yeah, yeah.

He said, no listen. And then extended this metaphor to talk about the relative amounts of creative invention that go into coming up with a trick.

Which was the idea I was trying to get at with my post.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”