"Radio Psychics" by John Buescher

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Diego

"Radio Psychics" by John Buescher

Postby Diego » September 9th, 2021, 9:29 pm

John Buescher's new book, "Radio Psychics", is now available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble and others. Actually a scholarly volume of rescued history, with his amazing research skills, John has uncovered stories on past radio mentalists, both remembered and forgotten, that were previously unknown. Seeing how they adapted a new emerging media called radio, the fortunes and controversy they generated, and how the antics of some, in part, created the (need for) the FCC, is a fascinating and in depth study of mentalist/magic/broadcasting history.

Diego

Re: "Radio Psychics" by John Buescher

Postby Diego » September 9th, 2021, 9:37 pm

I helped provide information and images for his research. Some have told me in the past that I had good
research skills, but John's research work is on a whole new level...amazing and instructive, showing me how much more there
is out there, and how it can be harnessed.
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=40 ... 91&__cft__[0]=AZUQRE1cSxUxY95yRAJx6QerSeaxuHeWdXiUKsqA67uJNRUXhhbKOHzL7fmXoLDQSoGW0rjDIrS_XLozvXbej_O_C_zK5Aisi0HSNUlcnNnTlNn-KSyH_fuFAFpBSqpAmBj9jYeKG4Qi8U8rcvP-eA6-&__tn__=EH-R

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » September 10th, 2021, 9:28 pm

It is fairly common for psychics to appear on the radio especially in interview situations. I have personally been on the radio many, many times with listeners calling in with their questions. The hosts of these programmes are generally very supportive and in fact I only had one aggressive interviewer but as all psychics know the public never take the side of the sceptics and will always support the psychic. Nature of the beast I am afraid.

Diego

Postby Diego » September 11th, 2021, 4:03 pm

Most of the mentalist/psychics John writes about (1920-1940) worked the airwaves like the "Psychic Friends" infomercials of the 1990's. The psychic would effectively answer questions listeners, and have them send in their questions to be answered, if they would enclose a dollar (or other amount) to receive a printed horoscope or book, "and your question would be answered free of extra charge."

But by the mid 1930's the newly created FCC was working, (with the postal inspection service) to drive them ALL of the air. Anything to "promote belief in the supernatural" was banned, which made stations reluctant to have any kind of "mystic" on their shows.
Talk shows that had Jeanne Dixon or Uri Geller back then, would have clear disclaimers that it was done for entertainment only.

But in the wake of the Age of Aquarius, as stations were attracted by the numbers psychics generated, and the 1980's De-Regulation of the airwaves, they became a familiar presence on the airwaves, continuing today.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » September 11th, 2021, 8:15 pm

Every time I entered a new town to promote my psychic seminars in hotels I would always approach the local radio station to do an interview with me and answer questions free of charge from inbound callers. Never once did a radio station refuse.

Diego

Postby Diego » September 13th, 2021, 5:32 pm

Good to know of your success. As noted before, up thru the 1970's, some stations, especially TV stations, (concerned for protecting their licenses) were reluctant to have anything, "promoting the supernatural", without disclaimers, if they allowed an appearance in the first place.

As noted before, the huge interest in astrology and related pursuits, that "The Age of Aquarius" fueled, the numbers psychics could get, and deregulation all helped change that. TV stations, with much more invested, were more protective of fines/losing licenses, etc. A media booker who bought air time for preachers that emphasized divine healing, told me she could book targeted radio stations but had much more resistance from TV station managers, until the 1980's with deregulation and the proliferation of VHF, cable, satelitte stations, who were eager to take the money, made the difference.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » September 13th, 2021, 8:45 pm

I have never done radio work in America so perhaps the rules are different there. However, I have done many psychic readings on both radio and television (mostly radio) in two other countries. Even participated in psychic infomercials on network television. Sometimes to advertise my seminars but sometimes not. In fact I have recently written a book on the Tarot which describes in detail the procedure I used to harness the media (particularly radio) to promote my hotel readings. I would move from town to town to promote these events and it was pretty successful. I suspect nowadays with the internet and social media promotion it would be even more successful now than it was then.

I suspect some young hustler could do very well with the system nowadays. I don't have the energy any more so at least I have recorded the system for posterity for those with the get-go to use it.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”