historical magicians famous for the cups and balls.

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Josef tryllekunstner
Favorite Magician: Jay Sankey

historical magicians famous for the cups and balls.

Postby Josef tryllekunstner » September 8th, 2021, 10:42 am

Hello everybody, I have been doing a lot of research on the cups and balls and I was wondering if anybody had information on people who were famous for performing the cups and balls, preferably as early in history as possible? I already know of Bosco and Conus as described by Robert Houdin, but surely there must be other historical figures who performed this trick. thanks so much

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: historical magicians famous for the cups and balls.

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 8th, 2021, 10:55 am

Have you looked at the website www.conjuringcredits.com ?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Josef tryllekunstner
Favorite Magician: Jay Sankey

Postby Josef tryllekunstner » September 8th, 2021, 11:28 am

no I have not, thank you.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » September 10th, 2021, 3:45 am

Josef tryllekunstner wrote:Hello everybody, I have been doing a lot of research on the cups and balls and I was wondering if anybody had information on people who were famous for performing the cups and balls, preferably as early in history as possible? I already know of Bosco and Conus as described by Robert Houdin, but surely there must be other historical figures who performed this trick. thanks so much

Hofzinser (1806-1875) admired and commented on Bosco's skill with the cups, but chose to do an unusual two cup routine himself (I believe Robert-Houdin said Bosco used 5 cups, two of them mechanical), well in advance of John Ramsay and Tommy Wonder. Of course, Pop Krieger and Malini were noted for their skill with this feat, but may be later than the references you seek. And Robert-Houdin himself appears in a photograph performing the feat, and describes it in his Secrets of Conjuring and Magic. He claimed in his Memoirs to have seen the feat performed by a performer calling himself "Dr. Carlosbach", though this may be a bit of literary invention or reconstruction on Robert-Houdin's part.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”