Elwin Peck aka "El-Wyn"

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Diego

Elwin Peck aka "El-Wyn"

Postby Diego » November 30th, 2020, 1:44 pm

I am looking for any photos of the late Elwin Charles Peck, aka "El-Wyn". (1902-1956)

He is regarded as a pioneer of the, "Ghost/Spook" show genre.

I have seem posters, but now looking for photos.

Bill Mullins

Re: Elwin Peck aka "El-Wyn"

Postby Bill Mullins » November 30th, 2020, 4:25 pm

From a 2003 article in the Moncton, New Brunswick Times-Transcript, about an El-Wyn show that had been in Moncton in 1936:

But many years later, when Broadway comedian Ed Wynn wrote his memoirs he revealed for the first time that he and El Wyn were the same person.
"In the late 30s," wrote Wynn, "my style of comedy was no longer popular on Broadway and several of the shows which I bank-rolled failed badly at the box office. I also lost a lot of money in a chain of radio stations in which I invested.
"By 1936 I was down to my last few dollars in fact had I paid all my debts I would have been bankrupt. I knew I had to get out of New York for a while."
"I hit on the idea of touring with my own spook show. Other people were making a lot of money with them, so why not me. I could combine my slapstick comedy with a few spooky ideas that I had used occasionally in night clubs around the United States."
"My son Keenan Wynn, who was then 20, but later became a star in his own right in films and on television, devised all the scary effects. He was good at that. "We found an agent willing to book us on a six-week tour of the northern United States and Canada. Keenan handled all the eerie effects on tour. We hired a stage manager who had once worked with Harry Houdini, and four young actors to help make the audience scream. The costumes and stage sets we rented very cheaply from a secondhand theatrical store in New York."
Ed Wynn hired a truck to carry their equipment and an old bus to carry the cast. Keenan drove the truck; the stage manager drove the bus.
"I might have driven the bus myself but in New York I had never needed a car so I never did learn to drive.
"When everything was ready I hired an artist to design some garish posters and a block for newspaper ads. When they were delivered I realized just how much a forgotten man I was in New York. The designer had taken my scribbled signature to read not Ed Wynn but El Wyn and that is how every bit of the advertising material read.
"I had no more money to pay for them to be changed so I decided that I would go out on tour as El Wyn hoping that nobody would realize how low I had sunk in the entertainment industry."
The tour was a major success. "If I signed any autographs on tour I just scribbled Ed Wynn and every time I looked at what I had written I understood why the advertising designer had read it as El Wyn."
The six-week tour of the El Wyn Spook Party was a major success. It was extended to 10 weeks because theatre owners along the route all wanted the show back on its return trip from Halifax to Boston.
"I made enough money in those 10 weeks to return to New York and produce one more show starring myself, Ed Wynn, on Broadway. Fortunately for me, my new personality, created during the El Wyn tour, was a great success and I never had to become El Wyn again.
. . . .

In 1965 he emerged to make one more television show with his son, Keenan. It was the first time since 1936 that they had appeared together. The highly rated hour-long production, aired on the night of Halloween, was called The Spook Party.
Before the show was televised the Hollywood Citizen-News interviewed him. "This show will be my last," he said. "It has a special meaning for both myself and Keenan. We once toured together with a stage show like this. It is one of my most pleasant memories, and it probably saved my career, maybe even my life. But I doubt if anyone remembers that show now. It was in 1936, almost three decades ago."

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » December 1st, 2020, 6:09 am

Neither of the IMDb profiles for Ed Wynn or Keenan Wynn show a 1965 television program entitled The Spook Party.
All references to El-Wynn that I can find say that he was magician Elwin Charles Peck and that he was the originator of the Midnight Spook Show.

Diego

Postby Diego » December 1st, 2020, 3:33 pm

Bill, your research access and skills continue to impress. But the "El-Wyn" (one n) that I inquired about was known to perform before and after 1936. It is possible that Ed Wynn used the name, (or variation of) "El-Wyn" because he had seen it associated with ghost shows, or perhaps thought he came up with the name himself...maybe, but it wasn't uncommon for others to appropriate/capitalize on the names of other better known performers.
Ed and Keenan Wynn did appear together though, in the 1956 film, "The Great Man", where both give wonderful performances. (on you tube) Maybe they did other work together. It is sad though if Ed Wynn, a star of Broadway/Ziegfield Follies found himself in bad financial shape...but that is unfortunately too-common for once famous performers.

Elwin Charles Peck is buried in Whittier, California. I am currently trying to contact any relatives.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 1st, 2020, 4:31 pm

Sounds like Erdnase all over again.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 1st, 2020, 4:38 pm

I don't know what to make of the article linking Ed Wynn and El-Wyn. But I figured it would be interesting. I looked for Ed's memoirs, as quoted, and wasn't able to figure out what they were - an autobiography, magazine article, whatever. Two of Keenan Wynn's sons, Ned and Tracy, are writers. Perhaps the Ed Wynn story is recorded in something they wrote. Or maybe they can be asked about it.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » December 1st, 2020, 7:11 pm

There are two books that would probably contain the desired info, PERFECT FOOL by Garry Berman (2011) and ED WYNN'S SON by Keenan Wynn (1959), but I cannot dig into them online.

It would be fascinating if Ed Wynn ever did a spook show under any name and especially to learn what effects keenan might have dreamed up.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 2nd, 2020, 5:16 pm

Wow, this is one spooky thread!

Check out item number 5) here:
http://www.halloweenclub.com/spookshow-history

Moreover, while far from scholarly or authoritative, this suggests that "Elwin Charles Peck," a/k/a El Wyn, and the so-called "Grandfather of Spook Shows," also used the moniker, "Ali-Din."
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 4474792228

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » December 2nd, 2020, 6:38 pm

The article that Bill quotes artfully absolves Ed Wynn of cribbing the name:

The designer had taken my scribbled signature to read not Ed Wynn but El Wyn and that is how every bit of the advertising material read.

So Wynn iis not claiming to have originated the name of El-Wyn--rather that the designer *mistook* him for El-Wyn. Every mention in that article could be read as Ed Wynn impersonating the "real" El-Wyn.

Roy M. McIlwee
Favorite Magician: Steve Dusheck

Postby Roy M. McIlwee » December 2nd, 2020, 8:28 pm

There was an Elwin Charles Peck born 1902 in Salt Lake City, Utah and died April 28, 1956 in Pico, California. This was reported in the Deseret News (Salt Lake City) in 1956. I'm not sure this is the same guy. Not much mentioned about his life other than he married Pauline Peterson in Portland, Oregon in 1928. (Ali-Dins was performing in the Portland, Oregon area for many months in 1928).

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 2nd, 2020, 8:29 pm

How many Elwin Charles Pecks can there be?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Roy M. McIlwee

Postby Roy M. McIlwee » December 2nd, 2020, 8:34 pm

He's the only one I could "dig up".

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » December 2nd, 2020, 9:18 pm

The designer had taken my scribbled signature to read not Ed Wynn but El Wyn and that is how every bit of the advertising material read ...

Roy M. McIlwee

Postby Roy M. McIlwee » December 2nd, 2020, 9:28 pm

Elwin Charles Peck aka El-Wyn was a Salt Lake City, Utah clerk after his Spook Show days. He is considered the original Spook Show performer and prompted many others into this form of theater.

Diego

Postby Diego » December 3rd, 2020, 1:18 pm

Roy,
You have identified THE Elwin Charles Peck who was El-Wyn. In his later years he ran car and trailer dealerships in the Los Angeles area.
As I stated earlier, he is buried in a family plot in Whitter, Calif.

Roy M. McIlwee

Postby Roy M. McIlwee » December 3rd, 2020, 2:42 pm

Diego,
The obituary for Elwin Charles Peck did mention that he and his wife were involved in the automotive industry in California but the spelling was so mangled that I didn't want to post erroneous info. Was he also Ali-Dins? Roy McIlwee, Scranton, Penna.

Steve Bryant

Postby Steve Bryant » December 3rd, 2020, 4:20 pm

If El-Wyn was considered the original spook show performer, the doesn't support this statement in the Ed Wynn piece: "I hit on the idea of touring with my own spook show. Other people were making a lot of money with them, so why not me."

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » December 3rd, 2020, 4:37 pm

Steve, it makes sense if understood that Wynn had been mistaken for the original El-Wyn, and he wasn't going to disabuse anyone of the notion.

Steve Bryant

Postby Steve Bryant » December 8th, 2020, 2:12 pm

I contacted Garry Berman, who wrote the biography of Ed Wynn called Perfect Fool (2011). His response follows, which raises the question of who wrote the piece that Bill first posted.

Garry's response:

Thanks for your e-mail, and for thinking of me with this question. I've read the piece you included very carefully, and I have to say I've found enough holes in the story to make a block of Swiss cheese jealous (rim shot here).

I'll tell you the information I found and included in my book. It's probably more than you care to know, but I'll try to be as complete as I can:

First of all, I became suspicious as soon as I read the phrase "...when Broadway comedian Ed Wynn wrote his memoirs..."

Ed had always steadfastly refused to write his memoirs, and he said so in more than one interview. He did begin a project in about 1932 which he called "Philosophy of a Fool," but it was reportedly more of a collection of essays and articles about comedy. He retained the publishing rights by creating Keenan Productions, under which he would publish the book. HOWEVER...he wrote a guest column in 1937 in which he said that he did not want the book to be published until after his death. He gave Keenan sole authority to publish it, which, to my knowledge, did not happen. It's even possible that Ed never completed the book at all.

In 1959, Keenan did write his own memoirs about his life with Ed, called "Ed Wynn's Son," but not once does he mention being involved with Ed in any kind of traveling "spook show" in 1936 or any other year. Keenan was, at the time, struggling to break into acting with bit parts in low-budget productions and touring companies, and was determined to make it on his own without his father's help.

As for the other content in the New Brunswick Times-Tribune article, I just have no idea where the writer got his or her information, and this leads me to suspect that the entire story is false. Since the year in question is 1936, I can tell you that Ed was never close to being as destitute that year as the story suggests. He did lose just over $300,000 in a failed radio network in 1933, but that did not endanger his bank account to the point where he was "down to my last few dollars" by '36. His "Fire Chief" radio show ended in '35, but he was, at the time, the highest paid performer on radio, earning $7,500 a week. In February of 1936, he began a new radio show called "Gulliver the Traveler," which ran until May. Shortly after that ended, he began a summer radio program, "Ed Wynn's Grab Bag," which was on the air until early August. In November, yet another radio show, "The Perfect Fool," debuted, running until May of 1937. So, when he and Keenan were supposed to have time for a 10-week tour throughout the U.S. and Canada that year is beyond me.

As I said, I don't know the source of the article's quotes that purport to be from Ed's memoirs, or when he supposedly spoke or wrote them (presumably in the 1950s, since he refers to Keenan's success in films and television), although I've already ruled out the existence of any memoir). Despite the impressive details in the story, some of the phrasing just doesn't ring true, such as "My son Keenan Wynn..." and little things like that.

If there really is a memoir by Ed that I don't know about, I'd love to see it. And, if the spook show story really happened, it's curious that I never found one word about it in any interview, article, or printed column by Ed or anyone associated with him, including Keenan. But if you ever come across another source referring to it, by all means, send it along to me.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 8th, 2020, 6:35 pm

The article I quoted was written by Charles Foster, who unfortunately has passed away and can't be asked about it (but was otherwise well-positioned to write such an article). I saw another article he wrote, about Rajah Raboid, in which he discussed the Eck twins and their role in Raboid's act, and he said that Rob Eck was the one with no legs (it was Johnny). So he wasn't always 100% careful with the facts.

But the discrepancies between the Ed Wynn story above, and what most people agree to be true about El-Wyn plus what Berman above says about Ed Wynn, are too big to be explained by a simple misrecollection.

I only excerpted the part of the article that was directly related to El-Wyn. Later on, it says

In 1965 he emerged to make one more television show with his son, Keenan. It was the first time since 1936 that
they had appeared together. The highly rated hour-long production, aired on the night of Halloween, was called The
Spook Party.
Before the show was televised the Hollywood Citizen-News interviewed him. "This show will be my last," he said. "It
has a special meaning for both myself and Keenan. We once toured together with a stage show like this. It is one
of my most pleasant memories, and it probably saved my career, maybe even my life. But I doubt if anyone
remembers that show now. It was in 1936, almost three decades ago."

The Citizen-News for 1965 is online -- I can't find the article. I can find no evidence that Ed and Keenan did a show together called "Spook Party," especially on Halloween. All of this is very strange. I did, though, find an ad for a 1936 show called "Spook Party," starring Ed Wynn. I suspect it is a typo.

Diego

Postby Diego » December 9th, 2020, 1:05 am

I can't recall a reference to Elwin C. Peck performing as, "Ali-din." I'm trying
to recall if I read somewhere that Ali-Din was a woman performer.

Diego

Postby Diego » December 9th, 2020, 1:14 am

Bill,
Charles Foster had called me, asking for information about Rajah Raboid, for an article. (which I haven't seen yet)
He was writing about performers who appeared at a theater in his native Canada, and during our conversation about magicians,
he casually said he toured with Horace Goldin and among his duties, was being the Indian boy who climbed up the rope for
the, Indian Rope Trick illusion. I said, "Hold on, tell me more." I then asked him to speak with Mike Caveney, who talked with him about
his days with Goldin in length. Despite his two years with Goldin, it not even mentioned in his autobiography or professional biography...his years as a movie publicist and other work, being the focus of attention.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 9th, 2020, 2:43 am

Diego wrote:Bill,
Charles Foster had called me, asking for information about Rajah Raboid, for an article. (which I haven't seen yet)

Check your email

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 9th, 2020, 9:16 am

Diego wrote:I can't recall a reference to Elwin C. Peck performing as, "Ali-din." I'm trying

It would appear that Edwin C. Peck did not perform as Ali-Din. The article from the New Brunswick Times-Transcript that Bill quoted on here, notes that Ed stated he was down to his last few dollars in 1936, which prompted the idea to start a spook show venture/tour. Regardless of whether or not Ed ever did a spook show, according to this newspaper archive (see link below), Ali-Din was performing spook shows at least as early as 1932. The cheap seats cost a dime, but you could get a premium seat for 40 cents.
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/1444232 ... chmondind/

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » December 9th, 2020, 10:04 am

MagicbyAlfred wrote:
Diego wrote:I can't recall a reference to Elwin C. Peck performing as, "Ali-din." I'm trying

It would appear that Edwin C. Peck did not perform as Ali-Din.

Seems Potter and Potter disagree.
Quite a puzzle.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 9th, 2020, 10:18 am

From the Kansas City MO Star, 6/14/1936:
"'El-Wyn's Spook Party," a stage production offered by Elwin C. Peck, will be presented at the Mainstreet theater at a midnight show Wednesday."

Joe Lyons

Postby Joe Lyons » December 9th, 2020, 10:36 am

Joe Lyons wrote:
MagicbyAlfred wrote:

It would appear that Edwin C. Peck did not perform as Ali-Din.

Seems Potter and Potter disagree.
Quite a puzzle.

FROM The Potter and Potter catalog:

Ali-Din was an alias for Elwyn Peck, who later found success as spook show performer El-Wynn.

Joe Lyons

Postby Joe Lyons » December 9th, 2020, 10:46 am

Confusing the search - he is referred to as Elwyn, Elwin and Edwin.

From a 1935 Linking Ring:

Know them by their true names: The Voice of Experience—Sayre Taylor of former Sex-show-lecture fame; The Voice of Inspiration—Frederick Faye; El-Wynn, alias Ali-Din—Edwin C. Peck; Ali Axiom—Crawford; Phenomena—Brandon; Lady Leona—Mrs. Halligan; Lady Betty—Mrs. Perez.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 9th, 2020, 12:03 pm

The confusion is undoubtedly attributable to ghosts and other spooky supernatural forces, who have a jaded sense of humor, and who have so much time on their "hands" that they have nothing better to do than play with the minds of the respected members of this Forum.

Diego

Postby Diego » December 9th, 2020, 12:13 pm

Bill,
Thanks for sending me the Raboid/Eck article by Charles Foster.
There are a number of problems with his article: He writes Raboid's son, "Robert", wrote to the newspaper with information/memories of his father. Raboid had a brother named Robert (Kitchen) who had married Blackstone's ex, Inez Nourse. He claims a newspaper reporter discovering Raboid is employing twins (The Eck brothers) for his sawing illusion, leads Raboid being put in jail for 6 months for the harsh treadment "the boys" endured performing the illusion and being on the road. I have NEVER heard of this and I think would have. The Eck brothers were adults, and in a time when many with different physical oddities/challenges, performed in theater, circus, carnival, sideshow venues, without complaint, it was ongoing genre of entertainment. That this exposure would ruin Raboid's career is unlikely. Robert says he is an engineer. Robert Kitchen was an electrician...engineer(?) might be a stretch. Raboid's son, Maurice P. Raboid worked mostly in education as a teacher. His mother had died after Rajah did, not before. I will check out the Raboid going to jail story, but it looks unlikely.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 9th, 2020, 1:53 pm

It's beginning to sound more and more like Charles Foster was way ahead of the curve with respect to "fake news".

Diego

Postby Diego » December 9th, 2020, 2:25 pm

Maybe because Foster was a publicist, not a documentarian. Very nice person,
I wish he had thought more of his time with Horace Goldin to put it in print.

Roy M. McIlwee

Postby Roy M. McIlwee » December 9th, 2020, 5:14 pm

Ali-Din was definintly a man according to the newspapers of 1928-1929. He was billed as " the man who sees beyond". His picture shows him wearing a black suit, white shirt with black tie and a white turban on his head. He was known for driving a car blindfolded around each town he visited. His January 1929 show in Visalia, Cal. was his 258th such trip "worldwide". Some of his shows were for women only as he would tell them secrets of their husbands. Quite the showman.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 9th, 2020, 5:43 pm

Roy M. McIlwee wrote:Ali-Din was definintly a man according to the newspapers of 1928-1929. He was billed as " the man who sees beyond". His picture shows him wearing a black suit, white shirt with black tie and a white turban on his head. He was known for driving a car blindfolded around each town he visited. His January 1929 show in Visalia, Cal. was his 258th such trip "worldwide". Some of his shows were for women only as he would tell them secrets of their husbands. Quite the showman.

Very interesting and informative, as a number of posts on this thread have been.

The evidence is mounting that Ali Din (whatever his real name may have been) wasn't exclusively a spook show guy.

As shown by this attractive bill, Ali Din was apparently a "Magician and Illusionist" and comedy was a part of his show.
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Ali-Din

Diego

Postby Diego » December 9th, 2020, 6:09 pm

It was common for mentalists/illusionists to also present a midnight show as an extra attraction to their regular performances. In the 1920's/30's, they were sometimes advertised as Midnight Seances, rather than a Midnight Spook/Ghost show, that became more common as the post war midnight audiences, became more youth-oriented.
I always remember when someone asks if you can combine magic and mentalism, that many of the top pre-war mentalists...Alexander, Raboid, Mel-Roy, Richards etc.,, did complete illusion shows, in addition to their Q&A mentalism/crystal gazing turn for the same audiences.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » December 9th, 2020, 8:47 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:As shown by this attractive bill, Ali Din was apparently a "Magician and Illusionist" and comedy was a part of his show https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Ali-Din

That is some attractive artwork for sure, however it's not a real Ali-Din poster.

In fact it's not a real poster at all.

It hangs on the wall of the fictional Tampico Theater, located in the fictional Sierra Madre Casino, in the year 2281, in the video game Fallout: New Vegas.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 10th, 2020, 7:12 am

Good catch, Brad. I've never played a video game in my life - so I wouldn't have known what you pointed out - to save my life.

Meanwhile, here are a couple more tidbits I came across in my (time) travels.

This is from the website, Den of Geek:

“[Houdini] made a second career of traveling the country, debunking these spiritual frauds one after another. Appropriately enough, Houdini died on October 31st, 1926, and in the years that followed, the vaudeville that helped spread his fame was beginning to fade with the arrival of talkies and radio. All those thousands of magicians who’d been working the circuit steadily for years suddenly found themselves wondering what the hell to do next. There wasn’t much call for magic on the radio, and the movies were still magic enough in themselves that some dusty old sleight of hand wasn’t going to cut it. They needed to find a new way to ply their trade.

In 1929, a stage magician named Elwin-Charles Peck (who performed as El-Wyn) came up with an act that was at once very new and very old, and he presented it in a way no one had before. After all the other acts at whatever theater he was playing at the time went home for the night, he put on another show. The El-Wyn’s Midnite Spook Party opened with El-Wyn explaining to the audience that he was in contact with the spirit world, warning them they should be prepared to see some strange, even terrifying things over the course of the next hour. He then did a few of his standard tricks, slowly working in some of the same tricks used by the spiritualist charlatans Houdini had unmasked over the previous 30 years. Objects moved mysteriously, eerie sounds came out of nowhere, and at the close of the show the theater went completely dark as the spirits of the dead appeared and vanished onstage and flew over the heads of the audience. What he was offering, at heart, was a seance.

For years other magicians like Blackstone had added seance routines to their acts, but following Houdini’s lead they did so only to reveal the nature of the scams. What El-Wyn was performing was a seance in a different context, with a different tone, and with a different goal in mind. Instead of promising to put his audience in contact with long-dead loved ones, he was simply out to entertain them with a few harmless scares. And this he accomplished quite effectively with an ongoing patter to psychologically prime the crowd into the proper mindset, a few mirror tricks, a few dozen yards of fishing line, and some luminous cheesecloth.”

The whole article can be found here: https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/midnig ... f-history/

And there is also this from Travalanche:

“How appropriate that magician and spook show innovator El-Wyn (Elwin Charles Peck, 1902-1956) was born during the Halloween season. We have already written about guys like Dr. Silkini and Bill Neff, but the transitional figure who preceded them in the spook show game was El-Wyn, who took some of the seance illusions that Blackstone and Houdini had presented (and which went all the way back to the Davenport Brothers (things like floating objects, spirit cabinets, spirit slate writing, a talking skull, and the appearance of ghosts) and made them part of the trappings of horror movie screenings. He was doing this as early as the late 1920s. Young people flocked to these sorts of shows for around four decades.”

https://travsd.wordpress.com/2018/10/17 ... innovator/

I am not endorsing these pieces or vouching for their authenticity, I'm just the messenger, so I hope nobody shoots me. But if anyone's thinking of doing so, don't bother - I would catch the bullet.

Diego

Postby Diego » December 12th, 2020, 11:39 am

Looked at his death certificate yesterday, which has all the data noted in previous posts...that his death in 1956, was in Pico Rivera, Calif.
Nothing new/addtional noted to help with further research.
His home address is now a new apartment building whose residents reflect the changing demographics that have occured after 64 years.
His occupation is listed as: "Trailer/House Trailer sales." Nothing about his show business career, which is not uncommon.
Often the current/last occupation of the decedant is noted. Or the one they spent the most time with in recent memory. There are Heavyweight Boxing Champions, listed as: "Postal Clerk", and once movie stars listed as: "Hostess".
Mystic Clayton's death certificate lists him as: "Timekeeper", Mel-Roy: "Driver."

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”