My magic videos from 70s. 80s and 90s

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Re: My magic videos from 70s. 80s and 90s

Postby MagicbyAlfred » May 14th, 2020, 9:30 pm

Tom, I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. I do not want to say anything unkind, so that's all I'm going to say on this subject.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » May 14th, 2020, 9:43 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:Tom, I have no idea what you are talking about. That's all I'm going to say.

If you had read just a few words more, you would have found the relevant section.

In short, you have the exclusive rights to authorize someone else to display or air your work.
No need at all to transfer your copyright - that would just make it impossible for you to perform your work elsewhere.

Arnaud

Postby Arnaud » May 15th, 2020, 8:18 am

Tom Stone wrote:
Bill Mullins wrote:I've taken down a bunch of Youtube videos of me, and there's never been any problems - except when the uploader is an american, then it is usually necessary to phrase it in an unnecessarily verbose manner.

Thank God I did not post any of the Tom Stone videos I have....:-)

JHostler

Postby JHostler » May 15th, 2020, 8:44 am

Tom Stone wrote:
MagicbyAlfred wrote:Tom, I have no idea what you are talking about. That's all I'm going to say.

If you had read just a few words more, you would have found the relevant section.

In short, you have the exclusive rights to authorize someone else to display or air your work.
No need at all to transfer your copyright - that would just make it impossible for you to perform your work elsewhere.

Tom - You're a TERRIFIC magician. Really - Jedi-level, in my opinion. But - with all due respect - you're not qualified to practice IP law in the United States. We all understand your low opinion of the country's approach to intellectual property (among other things), but US law is what it is. There are plenty of magicians with J.D.s roaming about.
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » May 15th, 2020, 10:56 am

JHostler wrote:but US law is what it is.

I just quoted the US law above... There's no need to take my word for it, when you can read it for yourself.

Why is it that in the whole world, it is only on the Genii forum that people stand up and shout "I DO NOT OWN MY OWN WORK!!!" ?
Last edited by Tom Stone on May 15th, 2020, 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » May 15th, 2020, 11:03 am

Arnaud wrote:Thank God I did not post any of the Tom Stone videos I have....:-)

Hahaha, I don't think that would have been a problem.
It is only when they don't moderate the comment field.
My first step is to simply contact the uploader and in a cordial way ask them to moderate the comments or turn the comments off.
Then I wait 2 weeks, and if there haven't been any reply, or a negative reply, I tell Youtube to take it down.
Even had to do that once with the production company's own upload, which felt a bit odd.

JHostler

Postby JHostler » May 15th, 2020, 11:44 am

Tom Stone wrote:
JHostler wrote:but US law is what it is.

I just quoted the US law above... There's no need to take my word for it, when you can read it for yourself.

Why is it that in the whole world, it is only on the Genii forum that people stand up and shout "I DO NOT OWN MY OWN WORK!!!" ?

Your quotes may have been accurate, but not your interpretation. In the US, if I own rights to a video of your performance, only I have legal recourse for the theft or unauthorized use of that content. Not you. You forfeit those rights to me upon purchase, unless otherwise specified.
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » May 15th, 2020, 12:22 pm

JHostler wrote:Your quotes may have been accurate, but not your interpretation. In the US, if I own rights to a video of your performance, only I have legal recourse for the theft or unauthorized use of that content. Not you. You forfeit those rights to me upon purchase, unless otherwise specified.

That's only when copyright have been transfered, or when I'm employed. Not in a simple standard deal where someone else is authorized to display the work.

If I have transfered the TV distribution rights to a piece of mine to someone else, then they own those rights, and I would not be able to perform that piece in any other TV-show ever again, unless I first have those rights returned back to me. That's way to unwieldy, and would break the budget for most production companies.

Of course, if I'm wrong, it would be quite simple for you to cite a source that top or supercede 17 U.S. Code § 106. My prediction is that you won't find any.

JHostler

Postby JHostler » May 15th, 2020, 5:26 pm

Tom Stone wrote:
JHostler wrote:Your quotes may have been accurate, but not your interpretation. In the US, if I own rights to a video of your performance, only I have legal recourse for the theft or unauthorized use of that content. Not you. You forfeit those rights to me upon purchase, unless otherwise specified.

That's only when copyright have been transfered, or when I'm employed. Not in a simple standard deal where someone else is authorized to display the work.

If I have transfered the TV distribution rights to a piece of mine to someone else, then they own those rights, and I would not be able to perform that piece in any other TV-show ever again, unless I first have those rights returned back to me. That's way to unwieldy, and would break the budget for most production companies.

Of course, if I'm wrong, it would be quite simple for you to cite a source that top or supercede 17 U.S. Code § 106. My prediction is that you won't find any.

Tom - You're jumbling a lot of things. In the US, copyright easily attaches to recordings (paper and electronic). The underlying performance is a different matter. If I own a video of you singing a song, I generally own the video (or "the right to display" that exact performance - or "distribution rights" for that video) - not necessarily the song, or the rights to subsequent performances of that song. Perhaps by "distribution rights" you meant "performance rights??"

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » May 15th, 2020, 6:04 pm

JHostler wrote:If I own a video of you singing a song, I generally own the video (or "the right to display" that exact performance - or "distribution rights" for that video) - not necessarily the song, or the rights to subsequent performances of that song.

Yes, if you produced that video, you have the rights to that specific video, but not to the work that is incorporated in it. In order to display the incorporated work publicly, an agreement have to be made to authorize you to show it.
No copyright transfers are necessary.

Randy DiMarco

Postby Randy DiMarco » May 15th, 2020, 8:40 pm

All this is really of no consequence because YouTube is a private company and they can decide to take down any video that they choose. They choose to be extra carful that they don't violate copyright so they take down anything that is reported. It is probably what their lawyers recommend to avoid fines and lawsuits.

David Nethery

Postby David Nethery » May 19th, 2020, 10:44 am

Tom Stone wrote:
Arnaud wrote:Thank God I did not post any of the Tom Stone videos I have....:-)

Hahaha, I don't think that would have been a problem.

It is only when they don't moderate the comment field.
My first step is to simply contact the uploader and in a cordial way ask them to moderate the comments or turn the comments off.

Then I wait 2 weeks, and if there haven't been any reply, or a negative reply, I tell Youtube to take it down.
Even had to do that once with the production company's own upload, which felt a bit odd.

Yes ! This should be a no-brainer, to moderate comments or disable comments for performance videos. You can set it up to receive email alerts about new comments waiting for approval ... if you don't want to invest any time in moderating comments , then turn off comments. Otherwise you end up with an unending torrent of inane comments about "how it's done" . Some (most) of the comments about the method are just stupid , other comments may involve actual exposure. Either way , it cheapens the performance. I'm dumfounded that as long as YouTube has been around now that so many magicians use it in a stupid way, inviting ridicule or exposure.

The other stupid thing I see much too frequently on YouTube is when magicians (or magic fans) include the marketed name of the effect in the title of the video !!! :( . People understand how to use Google. If you provide the marketed name of the trick in the title of the video , why not just provide the links for them to save time ?

Arnaud

Postby Arnaud » September 7th, 2022, 12:31 pm

All,

I gave it another try with posting video clips from my collection. This time in a private Facebook group.

Only ask i have if you see ANYTHING that upsets you, don't start complaining to Facebook but just ask me and i will remove it.

Don't spoil it for those that do enjoy it and that do appreciate the historical value....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/arnauds ... ?ref=share

Arnaud

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » September 7th, 2022, 1:21 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:
Joe Mckay wrote:
Nobody alive thinks genuine magic is the reason why a card trick works. As such - every card trick - in the spectators mind - works thanks to maths (self-working tricks), fake cards or skill..

Let me correct your statement:

Nobody alive thinks genuine magic is the reason YOUR card tricks work. As such - every card trick YOU perform - in the spectators mind - works thanks to maths (self-working tricks), fake cards or skill.

I have no doubt this may be true or your card magic.

It most certainly isn’t true for everyone else’s.

Oh, leave poor Joe alone! He is an innocent soul who loves magic unlike we hardened old cynics who don't enjoy it the way we used to. I actually envy him!

As for Jerry Sadowitz I suppose when I have more energy I will have to exert myself to look at his videos. I am biased in his favour since he very astutely told me my lecture in London was the best he had ever attended. Quite right too.................

AJM

Postby AJM » September 7th, 2022, 2:10 pm

Brad

So, just to clarify, you either believe YOUR ‘magic powers’ are genuine or, at the very least, you believe YOUR spectators are convinced you perform ‘genuine magic’?

What an interesting idea.

Andrew

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » September 7th, 2022, 5:21 pm

Arnaud wrote:All,

I gave it another try with posting video clips from my collection. This time in a private Facebook group.

Only ask i have if you see ANYTHING that upsets you, don't start complaining to Facebook but just ask me and i will remove it.

Don't spoil it for those that do enjoy it and that do appreciate the historical value....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/arnauds ... ?ref=share

Arnaud

Thank you, Arnaud.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » September 7th, 2022, 6:03 pm

AJM wrote:Brad

So, just to clarify, you either believe YOUR ‘magic powers’ are genuine or, at the very least, you believe YOUR spectators are convinced you perform ‘genuine magic’?

What an interesting idea.

Andrew

Both claims are true.

We might just need to clarify what we mean by ‘genuine’ ‘magic’ and ‘powers’.

Arnaud

Postby Arnaud » March 1st, 2023, 5:13 pm

Small plug to let you know I managed to continue paying my daily video clip in my Facebook group.

Just today just I posted a clip from Steve Forte...

Join us now on the biggest magic video couch for a daily upload of my unique video collection from the pre-youtube era.

Expect this week
- Bill Malone
- Tom Mullica
- Jay Marshall
- Howie Schwartzman
,- Wayne Dobson

Please bring your own popcorn... popcorn...https://facebook.com/groups/arnaudsmagi ... ollection/

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 1st, 2023, 9:07 pm

Great stuff!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 1st, 2023, 10:36 pm

I have been enjoying being a member of your Facebook page and seeing these videos. Thanks so very much.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”